Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmissions For Dummies
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanApple,
Here are a couple of pictures of my install.
This in my Dual Sport Manxter. In picture the long clutch arm is seen. It did not work out with the hydraulic system, went back to short one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Underside of Subaru engine and 091/1 trans

Shift linkage inside from Weddle side shifter to shift rod in tunnel. To support shift rod tube in back. I use a piece of StarBoard mounted to short piece of angle which then is bolted to top side of tunnel.

This is my Meyers Manx Dual Sport that trans is in.

Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see a classic buggy with the obvious improvement of 091/1 (big reverse). The only thing I don't care for is the common 4.83. That 6-tooth pinion isn't as robust for off-road as 4.57 or 4.86. We learned this shortly after the 4.83 came out. Because the teeth looked so impressive, we modified some 4.83s for 091 off-road race transaxles, and they disappointed us longevity-wise.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo,
I really appreciate all the information you have posted on the Samba and the Shop Talk Forums. I have read a lot of it (I don't think I have found it all). Very impressed with the modifications for oiling on the Syncro transaxles.
It is good to know that the 4.83 R&P has it problems. The 091/1 I am using has the 4.86 R&P. I did put the oiling directional plates to help with oiling of the bearings. I saw the pictures of what you have done for even more oil direction to mainshaft bearing for the Syncro trans. Is this something that should be done with the 4 speed trans ?
Motion Tire Motorsports
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oiling mods are really necessary for heavy Syncro campers with upgraded engines that travel at high speed for long distances, especially up steep grades. But they would benefit any VW transaxle used for severe service (whether Type I or any of the Type IIs).
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brs1997
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay my tranny makes a whining noise when you put it in to gear. it has fluid the clutch is new and the cable is as tight as i can get it. can anyone tell me what is wrong?? thanks in advance!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like either a mainshaft bearing or a input shaft bearing.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmodified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: transaxle code identifier Reply with quote

I am insearch of what kind of transaxle my trike is currently running. Codes stamped in it are "PT260108" and below that are "AHW8-7-342A" New to this VW and trying to learn more, Thanks I believe it is a type 1 but I have been told it is a bus trans
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos would help. From what I've seen, trikes really like custom mainshafts and gearing, as normal car gearing is entirely too low. This doesn't necessarily mean "expensive" .. just access to a hotshot welder with experience in cutting & splicing gears (like Dave Folts).
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
GooseVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Major transmission fail by new owner. Reply with quote

I just bought a decently running Automatic 79 Bus and had the bright idea to tow it, in neutral, by the front two wheels for roughly 600 miles.
**waiting for all the head shaking, ouches and other assorted reactions to die down***
So now that I've fried the transmission on my new purchase, any idea if this transmission might be rebuildable after this towing incident? I'm quickly finding out that purchasing a replacement transmission isn't easy and is expensive. Is this tranny only used in 76-79 Bus' or is it used in other vehicles as well (this will be great info for my junkyard expeditions)? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated--hate to get my Bus experience derailed before it even gets going!
Thanks
rev.chuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this transmission deal is confusing to say the least.

i have a rail buggy, currently the engine is a 1600 no clue if its stock has a paint marker note of a new cam 10/14/10 seems it isnt a stock cam by the way it runs. i recently installed an AH transmission dsc. it has the 4.12 gearing.

i plan on streeting this thing with very light offroad usage. but i also want to put a more powerful engine in it. currently running 31's

is this gear ratio good for street usage some highway but not daily driver by no means. will this transmission handle a higher hp engine?

what do i need to change if not? which direction do i need to go? and where are the parts?
tkfar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Will it fit? Reply with quote

I have a 58 SC with a semi-functioning stock tranny. Reverse gear will work only if you baby it. It will not back-up on any uphill incline whatsoever. Sad
The local craigslist has this listed..."Swing Axle Type 1/TYPE AH 1973-1974 1600cc 48bhp DIN 46hp SAE-net USA only ...the # on it is AH 2668780..". I had heard that swing-axles were standard equip on UK Type 1s. Is that what this might be or do you believe the lister doesn't know what he's got?
If this is a swing-axle, do you think this would be a direct replacement for my SC if I swap nose cones and flip pinion ???? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it fit? Reply with quote

tkfar wrote:
I have a 58 SC with a semi-functioning stock tranny. Reverse gear will work only if you baby it. It will not back-up on any uphill incline whatsoever. Sad
The local craigslist has this listed..."Swing Axle Type 1/TYPE AH 1973-1974 1600cc 48bhp DIN 46hp SAE-net USA only ...the # on it is AH 2668780..". I had heard that swing-axles were standard equip on UK Type 1s. Is that what this might be or do you believe the lister doesn't know what he's got?
If this is a swing-axle, do you think this would be a direct replacement for my SC if I swap nose cones and flip pinion ???? Confused

AH is typically an IRS code transmission.
Might put a link up if he has pictures.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if the input shaft is different on the 5 rib 002 (75 bus) vs early 002 (73 bus?)

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess is no. Same motor was used on them.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
big burt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: 091 question?? Reply with quote

Just got this 091 6 rib a few days ago. There are some stamping on the bottom side that I can not find any info on. I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on it?

[/img]
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiVo wrote:
Anyone know if the input shaft is different on the 5 rib 002 (75 bus) vs early 002 (73 bus?)

73 bus would have the mounting ears on top of the bellhousing....if bellhousing has not been changed.
Those are the same as your 75

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigburt,
That is a date code June 6, 1976.
First year of use in USA was 1976.
Now for knowing what is inside would require disassembly to see.
Most that came to the USA had a 4.57 Ring & Pinion.
They did not come painted from the factory and someone has cut off part of the mounting ears on bell housing.
Motion Tire Motorsports
big burt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Bigburt,
That is a date code June 6, 1976.
First year of use in USA was 1976.
Now for knowing what is inside would require disassembly to see.
Most that came to the USA had a 4.57 Ring & Pinion.
They did not come painted from the factory and someone has cut off part of the mounting ears on bell housing.

Thanks jsturtlebuggy
asetech08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: 002 trans Reply with quote

hey guys im looking to get an 002 trans I found one on craigslist for $450. (is this too much $$??) guy says he never ran it so condition is unknown but the raised numbers on the case are 002 301 103B ill be running a 1776 with a cam nothing special running 31x10.50s ill be using it for off road and trouting around town. I believe the r/p is 5.38 (correct me if im wrong) but im looking though the pages and I guess my top speed will be 45 to 50mph?

so my next question is how much fun is it changing the r/p to a taller ratio like to a 091. im a mechanic by trade but ive never had to mess around with r/p let alone even crack open a trans. I was going to crack it open regardless before installing it why wait for bad news after the install...

thanks in advanced
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ase,
Can you post a picture like Big Burt did with his 091 trans above?
As you can see there is a two letter code and numbers that usually break down into a date code. Remember this is from Europe were day comes before month.
Most 3rib trans did come with a 5.375 (5.3Cool R&P, all though there are 5.43 ones out there.
Before you buy it remove the bell housing and inspect the R&P for damage. It only 10 13mm head 8mm bolts. If who you are buying it from won't let you do that, I would past on it.
If you are thinking about taking it apart and putting it back together, realize it take a jig to set up the trans part and special tool for taking it apart. You can buy the tools, but it may be more than just getting a rebuilt trans from a reliable trans shop.

And welcome to the Samba.

Now there were some 3ribs used in the 1980s Vanagon diesels. They had a different bell housing on them.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 28

Jump to: