Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cb radio and antennas
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
walrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: cb radio and antennas Reply with quote

Ok, I want to be a Redneck. Who knows a lot about cbs? Magnetic bases are best? It needs to be high and in the center of vehicle? Are some antennas pretuned and don't need adjustment? It is better to get a tunable one and adjust it?

I was thinking about a magnetic mount on the roof at the middle rear of the storage box. I was conteplating putting the base underneath the box and drilling a hole in it for the antenna which can be unscrewed for clearance.
Deep_Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB's work best with a good ground. Even a cheesy unit will sound good if the ground is solid.
A magnetic base antenna will be ok, because the ground is running through the mag base, but only for a standard CB. (sticking it through the fiberglass of a westy top may not work well) If you run any amps or extra power (or just want a good setup) you will need to use a gutter-mount with a good solid ground. The perfect setup would have 18 feet of co-ax from the unit to the antenna, deviation from 18 feet and you will probably have to tune the antenna manually. Most come with tuning ability by raising or lowering the top portion of the antenna with a hex nut, or they have a screw in the tip.
If you just run 18 feet of co-ax, and give the unit it's own power lead (no running from the FM radio) then it will sound great.
For reference, the closer the 'coil' of your antenna is to the top of the stick, the better. Most fiberglass 'firestick' types have the coil wound at the top, for max dispersion of your signal. If you really want to impress da bros, and 'get out' like heck, mount a solid steel whip to your rear bumper. Heh. Then shout yee-haw!
(It's all about the length of the antenna wire...fiberglass and others have coils to make them shorter, but all must have so much feet of wire to 'modulate' correctly.)
For the mag-mounts, you'll want it as close to the center of the roof as possible because it uses the roof (and body) of the van as a ground plane. Not sure if that is possible for a westy.
Seriously...18 feet of '8X' co-ax (clear is kewl), separate your power leads, and mount the gutter mount with a separate ground screwed into metal. Top it with a 3 foot firestick and you'll be heard.
Good luck! 73's!
Tom Hutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a magnetic base antenna and it holds very thightly on a really big 3" dia metal washer that I screwed into the left rear corner of the luggage rack. Most of the time, the antenna is behind the drivers seat with the antenna shoved into the sink cabinet by way of the seat belt notch. I'm with ya good buddy about the redneck image, but when you get in a traffic mess nothing better than a trucker to get you out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If had had mirrors from a VW LT, you could mount the antenna to it "trucker style"!
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to drill holes in the top, why not put a side swivel mount on. You could then go with the full 'Rat Patrol" style long whip with a pennet. It would be in keeping with the Syncro look. The long whips are 1/4 wave and put out the best signal.

Cheeers,
James
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this is what i know you don't want the ant. near any metal even thou it is a sorce of ground it also acts like a magnet by "absorbing "the signal . that why if you see the "big rigs " the ant are facing forward like antenas on a insect. if you realy want power get a linear (power ampiflier) which will get you out there (over 5-10 miles ) bigger means farther . also if you realy want to run with the big dogs . get a galexy radio . that goes by frequency not channels . with the wanna be big dog will have a regular 40 channel with "uppers","lowers" and "sides" that is frequency "mods" don't gget to cocky about tem thou,a regular 40 channel with a small linear (about 30 - 50 watts ) and a magnet mount still gets me around 55 mile radius Twisted Evil
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to be too technical here. Antennas need as large of a ground plane as the antenna. On aircraft, which tend to be metal, the ground is as important as the blade. When we install antennas on newer composite aircraft we have to put an aluminum plate below the skin to act as the ground plane, or you get no range and lose half the Db that your radio puts out. You can reference AC-43.10 for further details. I was mainly an electronic warfare pilot during my Navy pilot time, and we got to know a bit about antennas and the theory. The last aircraft I flew in the Navy put out 1.2 MILLION watts of rf power. Truckers would be my last source of actual technical radio information. Linear amp are illegal on CB frequencies. On other amateur frequencies they require different licensing.

Illegal is a reletive thing (reference copying videos), but in the new homeland defence era, they are a bit more attentive to outlaw radio. High radio power also leads to higher rates of corrosion on your vehicle. We nearly always have corrosion at antenna bases, no matter how we prep the area. Remember corrosion is electrochemical in nature.

Try some of the amateur radio sites for good antennas that actually work, and have published data to support them. A decent antenna is worth 5 times the power.

http://www.echolinkradio.com/antenna.html

Cheers,
James
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78BayDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CF wrote:
ok this is what i know you don't want the ant. near any metal even thou it is a sorce of ground it also acts like a magnet by "absorbing "the signal . that why if you see the "big rigs " the ant are facing forward like antenas on a insect. if you realy want power get a linear (power ampiflier) which will get you out there (over 5-10 miles ) bigger means farther . also if you realy want to run with the big dogs . get a galexy radio . that goes by frequency not channels . with the wanna be big dog will have a regular 40 channel with "uppers","lowers" and "sides" that is frequency "mods" don't gget to cocky about tem thou,a regular 40 channel with a small linear (about 30 - 50 watts ) and a magnet mount still gets me around 55 mile radius Twisted Evil

I know this is an old thread, but had to raise an issue with this post. Pointing your antenna forward "like an insect" is wrong. Think of a donut with a stick in the middle. The donut represents your radiation pattern as "Omini-Directional, i.e. in all directions. If you tilt the stick forward, the radiation pattern changes, thus you get a radiation patern that is pointing towards the ground(earth), and the other half pointing towards the sky, instead of radiating the pattern "in all directions AROUND you" If you think of your vehicle as the stick and the radiation pattern around you, then you can see why "Insect antennas" do not work. Just a simple explanation of radiation patterns and the vehicle.
As for 102 - 108" Stainless whips, they are excellent antennas, but the signal will not be absorbed by the vehicle like a "Magnet", but rather "Reflected" by the vehicle. The same goes with any antenna. Depending on what corner you mount the antenna, also has a direct affect on the radiation pattern. It will block and reflect the pattern of the signal. It will also cause high SWR if to close to the vertical surface of the vehicle. So, in retrospect. I would use a heavy 3 magnet base and a very good Wilson style antenna on the roof if you don't want to drill holes. If you want to drill an hole, have an excellent antenna, then I would advise using a 3/8" NMO mount, not the 3/4 NMO. The 3/4 NMO mount will very often tear the roof with a heavy antenna, believe me, I have done it 3 times on vehicles, and had to patch the roof. This is because customers would not listen to me. the 3/8 hole NMO mounts are great for thin sheet metal, and offer a mechical ground instead of a passive/inductive ground that a magnet would provide. And as stated by James, look at Amateur Radio installs of varied antennas 10 meter antennas are the band below CB, which is 11 Meters. Look for a reference to 10 meter antennas for a good look into mounting your CB/11 meter antenna.

Michael
1978 BayWindow Bus
1974 Bus
1990 Jetta
1979 Dasher Wagon
1972 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: