Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Traction Bar Question ----ISP West
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
littlebuggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Traction Bar Question ----ISP West Reply with quote

How does this traction bar help?
All of the "bars" are mounted from and to a solid mount: top bar is mounted from side to side, both side bars are mounted from the top bar which is solid mount'd tranny. How does that prevent wheel hop? Also in the pictures, where are the rear frame horns?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-TYPE-3-PERFORMAN...QQtcZphoto

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PIMPPRIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically, these traction bar systems ( not just this one but all others csp / bugpack / airspeed & more... ) control torsion" torque" twist of the transmission and supply maximum sub frame reinforcement

this simply helps put the power to the ground...

if you have a stock 1600 and you install a traction bar, your usually not going to see much of a result, now triple that hp/fpt output of your air cooled engine and go try to put that power down in the same situation, your going to have issues ( engine hop, wheel hop, suspending unloading ect )
a similar thought is the function of a roll cage installed in a racecar, its going to 2 major things, protect the driver in a roll over accident and instantly add rigidly, strength, or chassis stiffness to the car, however you want to describe it

our bar was made 1st for type 3's to be bolt in without welding, and they work with swing or irs, none of the other torque bars will fit a type 3 to my knowledge without modifications to the kit

the bar system adds major support for irs sub frames, this is why 90% of all type 3 irs nose cone mounts are wasted & broken, even with a stock drive train, their is not a whole lot of support from the nose cone mount and the two cross bar mounts in the engine compartment

I think I have written more then I can think about at the moment, and I am sure their are those better versed on this subject then myself on the pro's vs con's on this type of traction bar versus other traditional vw styles from old school days

Anthony / ISP WEST

ohh yea, and if you need to see proof it works, I have one of the 1st ones in my own streetcar, putting the power down,

http://www.vwispwest.com/anthony.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Traction Bar Question ----ISP West Reply with quote

SoLow-Square wrote:
Also in the pictures, where are the rear frame horns?

IRS (Independant Rear Suspension) cars don't have frame horns. Personally, I wish they would have.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering how one of these torque bars will work on a swingaxle type 3. The type 3 wishbone set up is attached to the frame/pan with a rubber bushing, right? If the drive train is solid or semi-solid with a torque bar, the front of the wishbone isn't. Can the wishbone bushing be replaced with urathane or made solid? I have a 1968cc engine for my fasty, and I want the entire set up to work. I already have a semi-solid tranny strap set up with urqthane mounts. Any other suggesions?

Not to jack the thread, but its along the same lines.....
littlebuggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIMPPRIDE: That is what I wanted to know, so the traction bar is more of an anti-twist bar for the rear end. I definently need one of these because I get constant wheel hop with my 2054cc in my 66 square.
I hope I did not make you mad, I could not find any other type 3 traction bars and I did not understand how they work'd. Thanks for the help. And also, I love that video of the square...whats in it?
PIMPPRIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoLow-Square wrote:
I hope I did not make you mad, I could not find any other type 3 traction bars and I did not understand how they work'd. Thanks for the help. And also, I love that video of the square...whats in it?

no not mad at all, I was very tired that evening and it showed in my writings ( not just on this post but elsewhere) I have a 2276 motor, w48mm dell's Razz

also we have the subframe mounts in the works, made in two materials, full billet aluminum & urethane, stock height and taller to help fit dual carbs w/air cleaners

Anthony / ISP WEST
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we have the subframe mounts in the works, made in two materials, full billet aluminum & urethane, stock height and taller to help fit dual carbs w/air cleaners

Anthony / ISP WEST

Cool, any idea when they will be available?
wolfman's brother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah?!just what I'm needing since my stock ones I ordered with the new linkage were "damaged" in shipping. did you guys ever figure out what happened with ups anthony?alex sounded very suprised/shocked when I called earlier this week.

i've been trying to talk myself into getting one of these traction setups but I can't quit convince myself to squeeze the trigger on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: