Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition system woes {Still Troubleshooting}
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turbinepower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Ignition system woes {Still Troubleshooting} Reply with quote

I've fiddled and pondered this for some time myself... and finally decided it was time to talk to those more knowledgeable than I.

I have a 1971 Squareback, aftermarket carbureted, automatic. About a year ago it stopped running, so I regrettably parked it, lacking the time or money to work on her.

I've gotten the time now, so I've been one by one going through and checking various issues. I know I am getting fuel to the cylinders, and I know the starter turns the engine over very nicely.

So I looked more carefully at the ignition system. I get a nice 12.65 volts from the switch to the coil, and just replaced the points and condensor on the distributor. However, testing the assembly by pulling out a spark plug wire and attaching it to a properly gapped plug, then turning over the engine with the plug grounded against the block produced no spark.

This is obviously a problem, no?

So I checked as per Bentley and the Idiot book, by holding the coil wire's contact close to the block and turning over the engine, checking for arc. Still no go.

Am I just doing something wrong in the testing? I know it's a good coil, as I tried it with the one out of the Super Beetle we have that runs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Turbinepower on Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You either have the points adjusted wrong, the coil is bad, or the distributor is not turning or is not grounded.
Connect your meter to the distributor side of the coil. The side the points connect to. with the key on, the meter should go from 0 to 12V as the points open and close. If it is 12V all the time, the points are not opening. If it is 0V all the time, the points or the distributor is shorted to ground.
Disconnect the wire from the distributor and connect a jumper wire to ground, from that terminal. Every time you unhook the groundng wire, you should get a spark from the coil wire.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turbinepower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
You either have the points adjusted wrong, the coil is bad, or the distributor is not turning or is not grounded.
Connect your meter to the distributor side of the coil. The side the points connect to. with the key on, the meter should go from 0 to 12V as the points open and close. If it is 12V all the time, the points are not opening. If it is 0V all the time, the points or the distributor is shorted to ground.
Disconnect the wire from the distributor and connect a jumper wire to ground, from that terminal. Every time you unhook the groundng wire, you should get a spark from the coil wire.

When you say "Distributor side of the coil" you aren't talking about the high voltage wire, but the one connected to the condensor, right?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, usually, it is a green wire.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turbinepower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I just figured I'd make sure. Clear up confusions so I don't cause more problems than I solve, eh?

And you're also referring to grounding that same terminal, the one on the coil, in your later test?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend getting a Bentley shop manual. It's very helpful for this sort of stuff and MUCH more.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check the ground strap at the nose of the trans, as it could be broken, loose, or just covered with crap, and not making a good connection. It's worth a try, and only costs a little time. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Turbinepower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
I would recommend getting a Bentley shop manual. It's very helpful for this sort of stuff and MUCH more.

Actually, I have one, along with the Muir book. I also have the Bentley manual for the Super Beetle we own as well.

However, it seems a little sparse on the troubleshooting aspects of the ignition system, unless they're found someplace other than in the "Engine" subsection. In essence my father and I boiled it down to "Your coil shouldn't be bad, and if it looks like it's bad then a bad distributor, weak condensor, and bad wires can cause the same results."

Not too useful, in my opinion.

And Bob, I'll look into that grounding strap; I'll probably have some time after classes on Tuesday to jack it up into the air far enough to get up under there. It's all the way at the front of the transmission, near the nose of the car right? It might well be that, as I've cleaned/repaired the starter cable contacts numerous times, and probably will just end up replacing them shortly; It's become a cleaning ritual and they're getting a little weak.
Turbinepower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tested going from the distributor side of the coil (Green wire) to ground as I hand turned the engine over this evening. I got a solid 12.6v. As I rotated it, this voltage varied, but never dropped below 10v. I rotated the engine over a good four or five times with the same result.

I pulled the distributor cap off and kept rotating, to check and see if the points opened and closed, and they sure enough were visually separating and coming together. I checked their gap just to make sure, it went nicely with a .40 feeler gauge as per Bentley. Just a little bit of tightness, no forcing or loose sliding.

So... I'm a little stumped here. I shouldn't be getting this result, but why am I getting it?

I'll check the nose grounding strap and the other test tomorrow afternoon, when it isn't threatening rainfall.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I t should drop to zero volts when the points are closed. There is a little braided ground wire in the distributor. Could it be that that is broken? You are on the right track. It does sound that you have a probelm with grounding in the distributor. Do the points look dirty?

Turbinepower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, on a hunch, I just went out and looked at the distributor again.

Is it bad if the screw holding the condensor on basically bridges the metal contact terminal plate and the distributor housing? I know there's a bushing to keep it in place where the terminal goes to the inside of the distributor for the points to hook up to, but does that plate need to be kept out of contact with the housing?

Could this be my grounding problem?
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:

or keep russ wolfe in his pocket,...heh Very Happy

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turbinepower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx4086 JHC wrote:

or keep russ wolfe in his pocket,...heh Very Happy

So I need to get bigger pockets? Very Happy
Turbinepower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I just spent two hours playing with it.

Opened up the Distributor, didn't see any obvious grounds. Didn't find a little braided wire either, Russ. So I can't really say if it's broken or not.

Cleaned the old grease off while I was at it, lubed it as per Bentley. Regapped the the points out of the car and in it.

Put it back in. Hooked up my voltmeter setup, from the Distributor side of the coil to ground. Everything else is left alone. Constant 12v throughout the whole rotation of the distributor.

On a hunch, unfastened the condensor from the side and isolated it away from the distributor body with a clean new rag. Got this:

Cylinder/Points/voltage
1/open/12.4
4/open/12.3
3/open/12.4
2/open/12.6

In between each, when the points were fully closed, I dropped down to .07-.1v each time. It varied, even if I didn't move the engine around.

Is this correct?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds correct. It sounds like you have a problem with the condensor or its mounting.
BTW, I forgot I have an ignition manual on my web site.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2240

Turbinepower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the same thing; it's a brand new condensor, too. Odd that?

Also, I went back and with the condensor isolated did the other two tests. I get a spark from the coil wire and from an individual spark plug wire, but if I test it with a spark plug in the socket (Properly Gapped) I don't get a spark there.

Weak condensor already?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spark plug needs to be grounded to the engine.
I am thinking that the condensor is bad, or the mounting screw is doing something.

Turbinepower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was grounding it to the same spot I was jumping the others to; my standard "grounding point" where I've wirebrushed down to bare metal on the block, and keep it clean.

I'll pick up a new condensor tomorrow, again; think maybe a nylon washer between the mounting screw and the mounting plate might help? I have some around the house.
Turbinepower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: We have ignition! Reply with quote

Or spark at least.

I think I had some really dirty connections and a couple of really loose ones that were the only ultimate problem; the replacement condensor I got to replace the original replacement had too short of a pigtail on it; in a bug it would have fit and worked, but in the T3 it's way too short.

So I cleaned up the original and put it back in. I have spark from the coil, a good strong blue-white one, and spark at the plugs or at least my test plug, though it's a weak yellowish amber one. So a new set of plug wires are in order?

Firing order for our cars is 1-4-3-2, right? Oriented like thus:?

Car front
4 1
3 2
Car rear

Right?

Basically, I am now getting spark at least in a test setup. I pulled all four in-car plugs, checked them and regapped them: the deposits on the ceramic insulator are all ashy grey, a uniform light ash colour. There is some oil on the metal parts, but not directly on the firing contacts. I'm thinking this is probably just because I've been turning it over and not actually running it?

Other than the oil the plugs are in good shape, so it has to be something between the plugs and the coil wire... I'll clean the contacts on the distributor cap and the rotor, and look into replacement plug wires.

Any thoughts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: