Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 3 aftermarket Tach mount
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: type 3 aftermarket Tach mount Reply with quote

Anyone here have pictures of an aftermarket Tach mounted clean on or under the dash of a T-3? Mine is the large 5 inch race Tach I want to get a clean look it also has the shift light on it. If you bought an aftermarket mount where did you buy it Thanks in advance Don

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have an aftermarket tach shown someplace on my site. Under some of the old literature.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2573

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ducman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but I think it may be difficult to do an installation w/ a tach that large and a large shift light and make it look good and un-obtrusive. Especialy if this is for your 69 Fastback. That car is sweet w/ a nice stock + look. Do you want an enormous tach in that car? I see those on Honda Civics and laugh Laughing Laughing . No offense, really. Besides, if you mount the tach under the dash you won't be able to effectively use it anyway. A tach should be in your line of sight IMHO. That's why real sports cars and performance motorcycles put the tach front and center. Idea

Have you considered going w/ a smaller tach (mounting in between the clock and speedo) and mounting a custom (maybe an l.e.d) shift light in one of the stock gauges (if not the inside the smaller tach itself)? You could even use one of the idiot lights in the clock housing or something for the shift light (mount an l.e.d. behind one of the the stock lenses -just not the oil pressure light - or even poke an l.e.d. through one of the speaker grill holes in the dash. Have it stick up a 1/16 of an inch or so. You'd definately see it when it lit up but wouldn't notice it otherwise) Unless your Type 3 is a hot-rodded drag car or something and you need the monster shift light and race tach (by your photos it doesn't look like a drag car) you could even wire up a custom shift light, forget the tach altogether, and set the light to go on at whatever RPM you want. Nobody would know it was there until it lit up. Just a thought.

Personally I think a 5 inch tach could ruin the look of the dash no matter where you mount it.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don - you could always replace your clock with an Australian Type 3 tach - stock looking and easy to install....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducman wrote:
Just my opinion, but I think it may be difficult to do an installation w/ a tach that large and a large shift light and make it look good and un-obtrusive. Especialy if this is for your 69 Fastback. That car is sweet w/ a nice stock + look. Do you want an enormous tach in that car? I see those on Honda Civics and laugh :lol: :lol: . No offense, really. Besides, if you mount the tach under the dash you won't be able to effectively use it anyway. A tach should be in your line of sight IMHO. That's why real sports cars and performance motorcycles put the tach front and center. :idea:

Have you considered going w/ a smaller tach (mounting in between the clock and speedo) and mounting a custom (maybe an l.e.d) shift light in one of the stock gauges (if not the inside the smaller tach itself)? You could even use one of the idiot lights in the clock housing or something for the shift light (mount an l.e.d. behind one of the the stock lenses -just not the oil pressure light - or even poke an l.e.d. through one of the speaker grill holes in the dash. Have it stick up a 1/16 of an inch or so. You'd definately see it when it lit up but wouldn't notice it otherwise) Unless your Type 3 is a hot-rodded drag car or something and you need the monster shift light and race tach (by your photos it doesn't look like a drag car) you could even wire up a custom shift light, forget the tach altogether, and set the light to go on at whatever RPM you want. Nobody would know it was there until it lit up. Just a thought.

Personally I think a 5 inch tach could ruin the look of the dash no matter where you mount it.
ducman Thank you for your kind words about my car but as you see I like some things not stock and some things very stock as such trim seats etc but I have always loved those big tach's and since I am building a street/strip motor I kind of wanted more than just a shift light worry not I will keep it a conservitive mount on the dash area. As for my friend blankmange Dave I seached for a t-3 tach could not find one went with the race tach plus I like those big tach's Merry Christmas to everyone

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
blankmange Dave I seached for a t-3 tach could not find one went with the race tach plus I like those big tach's Merry Christmas to everyone

check Australian eBay... that's where I got mine...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now you tell me

notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
ok now you tell me
Or you could just ask me. I've got a couple of spare NOS Weigand tachs sitting here. Correct period tach, 6 or 12 volt and it fits the clock hole perfectly.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FU#3
ducman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really meant no offense about the size of the tach. The comment about the Civic spawned from my 17 year old son's friend who has a 10 year old Civic w/ a coffee-can exhaust tip, cold air intake and a tach the size of a wall clock with a shift light mounted on the A-pillar. Other than those additions and a big sub-woofer in the back it's just an under-powered economy car from Honda.

If you're building a motor and need a tach it may as well be as readable as possible and in that case bigger is better. I was just offering some options. If you go w/ a tach that fit in the factory dash hole you could still try the l.e.d. idea for the shift light.
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducman wrote:
I really meant no offense about the size of the tach. The comment about the Civic spawned from my 17 year old son's friend who has a 10 year old Civic w/ a coffee-can exhaust tip, cold air intake and a tach the size of a wall clock with a shift light mounted on the A-pillar. Other than those additions and a big sub-woofer in the back it's just an under-powered economy car from Honda.

If you're building a motor and need a tach it may as well be as readable as possible and in that case bigger is better. I was just offering some options. If you go w/ a tach that fit in the factory dash hole you could still try the l.e.d. idea for the shift light.
ducman It is rare for me to ever get offended I have seen those 10 year old Hondas with the pep boyz bolt on crap those are the clowns that want to race all the time as for the coffee can exhaust when I hear those I call them the horney pig cars they sounds like a pig grunting to me just a joke in my book never worry I am a very conservitive person so most things I do reflect that not all but most It will be a clean install
ducman what year is your car? A Fastback if I remember where in NORCAL are you

FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
FASTBACKDON wrote:
ok now you tell me
Or you could just ask me. I've got a couple of spare NOS Weigand tachs sitting here. Correct period tach, 6 or 12 volt and it fits the clock hole perfectly.
notchbak I like the look but need a higher RPM Tach but I am looking at another fastback to buy what do you sell those pretty NOS Tachs for?

ducman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fastback Black w/ red int. Had a 72 Ghia, 76 912E, 73 camper bus before this. The Fastback is a recent (last week) acquisition. I actually bought it for my son but I'm much more interested in it them he is! Laughing

I bought it from a friend who had bought it from another friend so it's kinda been in the family for about 10 years.
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man your killing me I love 67's my 1st fastback was a 67 25 years ago I looked and looked for one only found a 69 in good shape im jealous

ducman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice. The motor was pulled out a year ago to everthing powdercoated so I've been re-assembling it over the past few days. It was missing a few small parts but I hope to have it running this weekend. It's got a 1641 w/ baby dels and I think a mild cam. New fan, compufire, a 009, and another dizzy that I couldn't track down what it came off of. It's a vacuum advance and I may try running it. The best part is all the original engine stuff if included w/ rebuilt solex's, original exhaust w/ all the heat exchangers in primo shape. He was running a header dual muffler system and I'll probably start w/ that. Period empi shifter, original carpet in B+ condition, new paint, perfect original red dash and seats. all lights work. Front-end was rebuilt a few years ago. I have 5 boxes of extras w/ 2 of many parts. Oh yeah, the car was an American car but it came w/ an unistaled "TL" Volks script for the rear lid. I can't wait to get that on. Bamboo parcel shelf etc etc. I've always loved the car and know the two previous owners very wel. Neither of them drove it much. It was used as a summertime cruiser. I'll post pics once I get it running and cleaned up,
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
ok now you tell me

sorry pal -- that's where I got mine from....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
notchback wrote:
FASTBACKDON wrote:
ok now you tell me
notchbak I like the look but need a higher RPM Tach but I am looking at another fastback to buy what do you sell those pretty NOS Tachs for?
$100 plus shipping. I've got two of them for sale now.

FU#3
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres my setup, it uses the factory hole under the dash and the universal mount that comes with the autometer tach. I mounted the Shiftlight in the left "fresh air vent" fits perfectly in it with no mods.

-Ryan
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tach is mounted in the speedo hole! i drive by tach anyway, have for years... so no need to lose the clock!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: