Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RVEECO, grampa's company need info
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
firebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: RVEECO, grampa's company need info Reply with quote

My grandfather passed away, long before I was born. My dad tells me that his father owned a VW shop called RVEECO or "Rebuilt Volkswagen Engine Exchange Company". My dad's life history has allways been somewhat secretive, so I don't have many details at all. For all I know, my grandfather could have been the janitor there, or just aspired to be the janitor there. I think that my grandfathers name was Carl Hudson, but I could be wrong(long story). I was given a bunch of old Hot VWs magazines a few years back, and I came across a picture of a single cab pulling a wheelie with RVEECO on the side of it. I have since lost the magazine though. From what I can figure, based on what I've been told over the years, is that my grandfather passed away, and the other owner, sold the company, long long ago.
PLEASE HELP!!
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Pictures of stickers, ads, anything with the RVEECO name would be great.
Thanks for you help in solving one of the mysteries of my family.
'86 Westy w/ (18s)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RVEECO made external oil coolers back in the day, but that's all I remember.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
firebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
'86 Westy w/ (18s)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sailorkh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember, Rveeco was at 1335 Sixth St, Berkeley Ca. They were very big in rebuilding engines, and did market there own oil cooler. But, they have been gone a long time now.
firebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again, every bit helps
'86 Westy w/ (18s)
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firebug
I remember in the 70's that there was a company who built a roof mounted oil cooler that was a huge scoop that was mounted usually
on baja's, just above the rear window,a nd I thought that was Rveeco, or Reevco. I'll keep looking for you......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firebug
I just found this posted on another forum:
Quote:I had a Honda S-600 briefly while in the sevice. Was a wonderful 2 place roadster I do not think they sold here (was thutty odd yar ago). I recall them bringing the 600 line into the US briefly in the early seventies but within a decade most dealers were claiming they never heard of them.

Only 600 I know of waaay back when was the FIAT Multiplia which was sorta a minivan, the 850s were the smallest FIATs recently imported and they were a 4 cyl, water cooled, rear engine. FIAT/Abarth Mille Miglia Allemano 1000 had a 1 liter engine and could do about 130 mph. Double Bubble 750 and 850 versions were more common.

The Citroen 2CV had a 2 cyl air cooled engine (Sahara model had one in each end) of 354 cc AFAIR.

Think the smallest engine in the original Mini was an 848cc with the 997 cc Sprite engine optional. The slightly larger MG 1100 was 1097 cc but eminently swappable as was the Austin America 1275 cc available with an automatic no less, & all imported in the '60s.

I once had an RVEECO'd and warmed over 70 VW Camper and the nice thing was that two of us could have a drag race out of every light and not only would no-one notice, we would never break the speed limit 8*).

Like today, in the 60s there was an entire import subculture going fast and furious just with mostly English imports not Japanese.
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've remember seeing Rveeco coolers on quite a few busses in the bay area in the 80s. I consisted of a long (2 1/2 ft?) oil cooler with a temp bypass mounted on the shell on the Right side below or behind the engine air intake. Mine used a stock cooler block off plate with fittings and had a filter in line. It also had a fiberglass cover with the letters "Rveeco" on the side. That's all I remember about that company.
steve mighetto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were listed as a resource in early editions of John Muir's book "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" .

Back in the 70's I worked in a garage on College Ave. in Berkeley. We installed a few engines from them. They were a booming business. My bus used to have a RVEECO engine with the external oil cooler. I still have the cooler setup floating around in my basement.

I recall they offered a 6 month warranty on their rebuild engines without their cooler. They extended the warrenty to 12 months with the cooler. There were a lot of RVEECO equipped VW's in Berkeley.

They had a couple of different oil cooler setups. One off them was kind of unique in that they tapped into the oiling system on the side of the case. That system used the stock cold oil bypass system to keep from over pressurizing the external cooler and oil lines. It also allowed keeping the stock cooler installed.
firebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, this is great. Any chance any one has something with the RVEECO name that they would be willing to sell, or just send picture of it? It would make a great gift for my dad.
thanks again folks
'86 Westy w/ (18s)
hambone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The John Muir "Idiot" book makes some mentions of the company, not exactly sure where in the text tho...
Mr Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some checking in the Muir "idiot guide". In the edition dated
August 1986 there are several references to RVEECO. As "sailorKH"
pointed out the address was 1335 sixth st. Berkeley, Ca 94710
They must have had their fingers in a lot of pie's. My book references
a HOWARD PALMER that was one of the "top guns" there. That name familiar? Anyway it was him (or someone else perhaps working there)
that came up with the idea of using a FORD 6 or 12 volt solenoid to
work up a by-pass solenoid to make starts easier on old buses with
poor wiring. Other things they did include swapping out the stock valves of the time with sodium filled stellite valves. They also machined new
parts for better service such as "new hard brass valve guides".
Quoting from the book. Another fact the book states is they were among the first to recomend setting the valves to .006 instead of the .004
that was done "back in the day". They also advised for their engines
that the maintenance cycle be done at 1500 rather than 3000 miles
for a longer lasting engine. The most recent edition of the "idiot guide"
I have is a '91 edition and they still refer to RVEECO. So it seems they lasted untill at least the early or mid '90's.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my salad years, I used to shop there. The building is still there.

They were known as notorious crooks, but they sold cheap VW rebuilt engines and parts to cheap-ass young hipsters such as myself. The oil coolers were, seemingly, on every VW in Berkeley in those days.

I never saw one without leaks.

RVEECO lost a lot of money when the rubber hosing that they used failed. It usually failed when the customer was out on the interstate far, far away from Berkeley. What was that hosing brand? Belden? I have forgotton.

Their coolers were not needed as much once the '71's came out.
rveeco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have all the contact info firebug needs, to find out everything about his grandfather and his conection to RVEECO.... does anybody know how to get in touch with him..... i see he hasn't been on this forum for several months.
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send him a PM.
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot about their demise.

I was one of the "lucky" ones who showed up one day while the liquidation was in progress. I secured many truck loads (Double-cab, of course!) of parts and conveyed most of it to our favorite vendors down in the LA area, like Tony Moore (Wolfsburg West), among others. For my trouble, I made a little money and kept some bits...

Contact me offline and we can talk.

RT

Karmann Ghia and Porsche 356 enthusiast
Founder, The Karmann Ghia Club of N. America
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rveeco wrote:
i have all the contact info firebug needs, to find out everything about his grandfather and his conection to RVEECO.... does anybody know how to get in touch with him..... i see he hasn't been on this forum for several months.

Probably lost interest in the four years since the last post.
Wink
rveeco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sent him a pm, i see he hasnt been in this forum since aug. i would like to think he didn't loose interest in finding out about his grandfather.
anyway, the reason i posted is my second cousin has been married to Howard Palmer my whole life. i just spent the thanksgiving weekend with him and we were talking about the RVEECO days he mentioned he googled the name and found the post by firebug, and couldnt figure out how to contact him(he isn't particularly computer savy) so when i got home i did a little research and logged on to your forum.
Howard said he would like to tell firebug all about his grandfather as he was much more than a janitor. i will leave it to firebug to share that with you.
Howard was one of the original partners in the forming of rveeco and ultimately the owner later on.
he told me some great stories about the early days of the company such as picking up some of the first gias to arrive in the US in alameda, with of all people eivel keneivels dad.......and some of the inovations they developed.
anyway i hope i can connect him and firebug Howard would like to talk to him.
btw i don't even own a VW, we had several when i was growing up because of our families connection to the company.
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: To find firebug, I tried the ACC group from his signature li Reply with quote

rveeco wrote:
i sent him a pm, i see he hasnt been in this forum since aug. i would like to think he didn't loose interest in finding out about his grandfather.
anyway, the reason i posted is my second cousin has been married to Howard Palmer my whole life. i just spent the thanksgiving weekend with him and we were talking about the RVEECO days he mentioned he googled the name and found the post by firebug, and couldnt figure out how to contact him(he isn't particularly computer savy) so when i got home i did a little research and logged on to your forum.
Howard said he would like to tell firebug all about his grandfather as he was much more than a janitor. i will leave it to firebug to share that with you.
Howard was one of the original partners in the forming of rveeco and ultimately the owner later on.
he told me some great stories about the early days of the company such as picking up some of the first gias to arrive in the US in alameda, with of all people eivel keneivels dad.......and some of the inovations they developed.
anyway i hope i can connect him and firebug Howard would like to talk to him.
btw i don't even own a VW, we had several when i was growing up because of our families connection to the company.

Hi there,

I presume "firebug" hasn't given up.

I just went to the Air Coolers Club that was attached to firebugs signature line and posted an email to the site's webmaster. I solicited the webmaster's help finding firebug and pointed him back here with a URL to this thread. I have no idea if it will help but it couldn't hurt.

You know, Everett is a pretty good guy, you might send him a note and ask him to send firebug an email at their registration email address. It would seem to me to be harmless at worst and very welcome at best!

By the way, Howard told me the story about the Karmann Ghias in great detail....

Good luck - and if you would be so kind, follow up with us when there's anything to add.

Richard

Karmann Ghia and Porsche 356 enthusiast
Founder, The Karmann Ghia Club of N. America
rveeco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you richard,
maybe we are one step closer ..... how would i get ahold of this person to send him a letter?
anyway thank you

glenn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: