Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiring diagram for dune buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of those wires are for the head light dimmer then.

Look at the wiring diagrams for the 1962 and up bugs.
Without the dimmer, you have a 3 wire T/S switch.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimmer relay is no problem... There should be 2 brown wires.... One brown wire brings ground to switch (from a ground source) other brown wire goes to "activation" terminal on relay.... Dimmer switch on turn signal handle is merely "momentary contact push button"...There is two versions of VW dimmer relays, early version that is just dimmer and later version that dimmer and has "flash" capabilities.... Wiring is a bit different depending on what relay you use....

This relay wiring has "flash" capabilities..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is dimmer only...

I think there was a misunderstand about what you were referring to as a 5 wire TS switch... You probably have 3 wire with dimmer....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can jumper 56 to 30 if you do not care about the "flash" function. That is the way many were wired originally for the USA cars.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: buggy wiring, need help Reply with quote

i am hooking up wiring in my rail buggy and i need help. i tried to start the engine and it starts, but i have to hold the key in the start position, i can not let go of the key or the engine will die. as long am i hold the key in the start position it will run. i need help, maybe i don't have the switch wired correctly, or maybe i don't have the engine grounded correctly.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have your "ignition " wire connected to the "start" terminal of your ignition switch.

What kind of ignition switch do you have, VW or aftermarket?

It sounds like your engine is grounded OK, but you should double check the connections of the ground strap on your transmission if you haven't already, anyway.
bug1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: buggy wiring Reply with quote

i have an aftermarket switch.
bug1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: buggy wiring Reply with quote

i have three posts on my switch, one is batt termial, one is ign, and one is right in the middle. not sure what that is.
bug1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: buggy wiring Reply with quote

i ran my ground wire from my battery ground (- post)to the mounting bolt that mounts my engine to the transmission. that's the only ground i have hooked up.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 4 position, it should be wired like one of these.

bug1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: buggy wiring need help Reply with quote

not sure what you mean by a 3 position switch or a 4 position switch. when you put the key you can turn it to the left and then to the right to start the engine.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: buggy wiring Reply with quote

bug1957 wrote:
i ran my ground wire from my battery ground (- post)to the mounting bolt that mounts my engine to the transmission. that's the only ground i have hooked up.

You should run the ground cable to the chassis. A bolt threaded into the top of the rear torsion housing is best. Make sure the area the end of the cable contacts is bare/clean.

The transmission should be bonded to the chassis with a braided ground strap like this.

bug1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: buggy wiring Reply with quote

i think it looks like diag K. i have a post in the middle, one that says batt, one that says ign, and one that says acc
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: buggy wiring need help Reply with quote

bug1957 wrote:
not sure what you mean by a 3 position switch or a 4 position switch. when you put the key you can turn it to the left and then to the right to start the engine.

3 position is left to right; Off, On, Start

4 position is; Accesory, Off, On, Start
hottarod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like your starter would keep running if the engine starts and runs by holding the key in the start position. That would make an awful racket.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: buggy wiring Reply with quote

bug1957 wrote:
i think it looks like diag K. i have a post in the middle, one that says batt, one that says ign, and one that says acc

I think you're saying you have 4 terminals. If that's the case:

The wire to your starter solenoid should connect to the starter (center?) terminal.

The wire to the positive side of your coil should connect to the ign terminal.

Again, first confirm whether you have a 3 or 4 position switch

Last edited by BL3Manx on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A three position switch is usually OFF-ON-START... Where s 4 position switch is usually ACCESSORY-OFF-ON-START...

A three position switch will have generally 3 terminals on rear, BATTERY ((+) or BAT) -IGNITION (IG. or IGN.) -START (ST.)..

A 4 position switch will usually have 4 terminals on rear, ACCESSORY (ACC. or AC.) - BATTERY (BAT.) - IGNITION (IGN.) and START (ST.)...

Terminology for the terminals may be somewhat different but the functionality is usually the same....

ACCESSORY - to any device you want to trun on with key and NOT have ignition on (radio) ... ( device will usually power up with IGN on also- internal function of switch) ...

IGNITION - is usual key position that powers up the coil and all the rest of "key" controlled electrical system(s) in vehicle..

START - is where you turn key to engage solenoid (on starter) to energize and pull in starter motor..

BATTERY - is from vehicle battery and is the source of power from which all systems that are controlled by KEY switch gets it power...

Another illustration of back side of typical universal ignition switch...

Image hosted at: http://www.mydune-buggy.com/gallery/

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
bug1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: buggy wiring - please help Reply with quote

i do believe this is a 4 position switch. right now i have the center post (start) running to the big post on the starter. a wire running from my coil to the ign post on switch. a wire running from span ternial on starter going the batt post termial on switch. does this sound correct.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my generic switch the center terminal is the starter
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: buggy wiring - please help Reply with quote

bug1957 wrote:
i do believe this is a 4 position switch. right now i have the center post (start) running to the big post on the starter. a wire running from my coil to the ign post on switch. a wire running from span ternial on starter going the batt post termial on switch. does this sound correct.

No.

The wire from the "start" terminal on the switch should go to the smaller spade type terminal on the solenoid.

The (large gauge)wire from the switch "battery" terminal should go to the big stud on the solenoid that the positive battery cable is connected to.
bug1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: buggy wiring - please help Reply with quote

i gave you guys some miss information on how i had the wiring hooked up. i had one wire running my coil to the ign side of switch(correct), one wire running my big termial on starter to the battery side of my switch, and one wire running spade connecter on solenoid to the start (center termial) on my switch.

i switched the wires from the start (center termial) on my switch( which should go the big post on my starter) and the wire i had connected to the battery termial on switch to spade termial on solenoid.

I followed your advise and connected my wires as follows.

wire from my start(center post on my switch) to the big post on starter solenoid.

wire on batt termial on switch to the spade termial on starter solenoid.

wire from coil to the ign side on switch.

It starts and runs now without holding key.

Thanks so much for all your help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: