Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.1971vwsuperbeetle wrote:
Thankyou so much everyone just saved my ass!! But naw I know what to do with the to bearring but naw I just don't know about the pressure plate how does tht go on after u put the bearring?

The throw out bearing mounts in the transmission.
The pressure plate mounts to the flywheel on the engine. It sandwiches the clutch plate to the flywheel. Be sure to center the clutch plate using a tool or old transmission input shaft.
The two come together when the engine is installed onto the transmission.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
mr.1971vwsuperbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refering to the first post replace the coller and take those other 2 ring like things out and slam it back and I'll be good?
btraquair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what size bolts are used to attach the guide sleeve on a '72. I can't find any information on those bolts.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 72 will have studs to mount the guide tube. Then VW used M7 external tooth lock washers, with M7 x 1 nuts. It wasn't until about 1975 that they changed to M7 bolts. Just a guess, but I think they may be 20mm long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
btraquair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, i have three holes in my transmission for the guide sleeve to attach to. but the holes are not big enough for an M7 bolt. I don't know for sure that this is a 72.
doom buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just did a swingaxle to irs conversion,have a brand new old style clutch,the trans im using for the irs has the sleve bolted to the trans,can i just unbolt that from the trans and use the old syle clutch still(throwout bearing,pressure plate and disc)?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doom buggy wrote:
i just did a swingaxle to irs conversion,have a brand new old style clutch,the trans im using for the irs has the sleve bolted to the trans,can i just unbolt that from the trans and use the old style clutch still(throwout bearing,pressure plate and disc)?

Just take the center ring off your "old" pressure plate. That's what I run.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
61'StreetRat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Glen, do you torque down the sleeve or do you just tighten it by hand? Planing on replacing it.
sanclementekid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: 73 super beetle transmission to 71 super beetle Reply with quote

I have a 73 transmission, and the throwout bearing has that circled extension in a photo it was identified as a super beetle transmission, and I want to put it in my 1971 super beetle. I am assuming that I should get the matching throwout bearing and clutch plate (it needs a new clutch). I also get the impression that I have to switch nose cones. Any other suggestions? I have already converted to internal regulated alternator, which has nothing to do with the transmission, but it seems the 73 tranny will be an improvement. Cool
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am trying to figure out what setup to use. My trans has the holes for the studs for the guide sleeve but I don't have the sleeve. the pressure plate has the spring fingers but no ring in the center. Can I get a whole clutch kit from the FLAPS that has a TO bearing, pressure plate and clutch and roll with it or do I need that guide ring. This is for a 69 bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My pressure plate is similiar to this (taken from the gallery)

Thanks!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, here is the guide sleeve.

http://airheadparts.com/prods.asp

You will need three studs, nuts and lock washers as well. From what I have read. These are m7x1, which is a special thread. They suggest getting them from a trans re-builder, they are the same studs used to secure the bell housing.
good luck
FatherProphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure after reading this thread that I have the correct parts..I am concerned about my throw-out bearing..it's not flat but has a raised ring on it...all this is going in my 71 Bay..I have this early 3 rib trans

with this throw-out bearing(note the raised ring)

and this pressure plate

and this clutch

will these work together?

Thanks..
Chevynut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some help.... Gonna try not to sound like a broken record but dought it...

Currently doing my first buggy build/vw in general and have a hit a stopping point. Purchased a clutch kit from napa
http://m.napaonline.com/Tablet/parts/PartDetails.aspx?Id=NCF1117014_0317686966
And mounted the motor if I start it in gear it runs no problem but if I attempt to shift or start in neutral and attempt to put in gear just grinds.... ( buying the kit I figured it would all mesh well together ). And just or kicks if I start it in neutral grinds 2nd and 4th but makes noise on 1st or 3rd but still won't go in?
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Having problems posting picks so I put the link in so I could show what I purchased..... Thx
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevynut you haven't given much to work with. At a minimum, we need to know the year of the transmission you have installed?

Did your transmission input shaft look like the one in the pic above? Without the 3-bolt sleeve around the input shaft? If so, it was the early style. Your kit is the correct one.

If on the other hand your input shaft had a sleeve, You have the wrong kit.
Chevynut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sry just realized no info... Embarassed

Problem is I am not really sure what yr I have... I started with a 70 beetle chassis.... was given the motor and trans from a friend. Not sure of the year they came out of but the stamping on the trans is dc13075xr ( if i am not mistaken that is a type 3 ... the motors originial stamp was cover by another plate, I know the transmissin had the late model throw out bearing and matched what came in the kit...... but the motor had the early model clutch plate however I changed it to the one in the kit that match the throw out bearing.... .. if I start it in gear I can move around in 1st and the clutch will disengage enough for me to use the brakes just not shift.... hope that helps....
Big_kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the friend that brought these parts to the party. I got that trans 13 years ago, it was loose in the guy's yard with no VWs in sight. I was told it was from either a Fastback or a Squareback. All I know about it is that it doesn't have the sleeve on the input shaft, it didn't feel bad running through the gears by hand, and the gear oil that had been sitting in it looked pretty good when we changed it. The engine came from the local Pick N pull.

If I'm summarizing correctly, a properly matching pressure plate & throwout bearing will have either a sleeve or a ring, but not both, and not neither? Sleeve only for early, ring only for late?

Also- the disc that came with that clutch kit didn't want to fit. The hub seemed too big to allow it to sit on the flywheel properly. We went with the disc that was on the engine when we got it.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will excuse me if anything I offer is not useful but you are posting in the Beetle forum about a T3 trans...

First let me restate that you need to select your clutch combo based on the transmission needs. Which pressure plate or TO bearing came with your engine... is irrelevant. Clutch discs are usually reuseable as long as they match the flywheel. The trans TO bearing release arms dictate the style of TO bearing needed. Once you know which TO bearing you need (early/late), it dictates the pressure plate (early/late). That pressure plate must match the flywheel used (180mm or 200mm). The clutch disc can be used with either early or late pressure plates as long as it is the right fit to the flywheel. You may have a choice of a clutch disc styles (with or without springs; three puck; different wear material; color and flavor; etc.) but add long as the fit between the flywheel and pressure plate they will probably work.

Also, most new stock diaphragm pressure plates are convertible from early-style to later-style by just the removal of the centering ring. So if you get what looks like an early pressure plate see if you can't remove the ring before you return it.

At this point I think you need to post a pic of the inside of your bellhousing. Chevynut is saying he is sure it had a late style TO bearing. Big_kid says it doesn't have an input shaft sleeve. So either you have an early trans with the wrong TO bearing; or a later style trans missing the input shaft sleeve.... which is it?
Are there three threaded holes where the input shaft sleeve should be mounted? This could indicate a later-style trans. Though, I believe some trans cases had the hole castings but they were not used/drilled/tapped. Maybe these were aftermarket cases.

Also look at the TO bearing release lever arms. The early style had half-moon cut outs on the rear facing side of the arms (rear is rear of car). The TO bearing fits into these cut outs and are held in by spring clips.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Also, most new stock diaphragm pressure plates are convertible from early-style to later-style by just the removal of the centering ring.

Same with my 1980s vintage 200mm 3-finger spring pressure plate. I removed the center ring when I moved that engine from my 1970 to my 1971, as that was when the change occurred, for the 1971 model year.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Big_kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trip to our local pick n pull scored us an engine & tranny from a 75 beetle. Closer inspection revealed ashman40 is correct: The tranny we were using had a sleeve at one time, but it was removed at some point.

The engine & tranny we picked up had a new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate & throwout bearing, and it still had the sleeve on the tranny. Since it was only 3 bolts, we moved the sleeve to the already installed tranny. We also moved the disc & pressure plate over, adjusted the clutch cable, and now it seems to work. I think our issue was the sleeve was missing from the tranny & we didn't know to notice it.
CraigRobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys. I was pointed in the direction of this thread.

It has helped me out a lot and to understand too!

I have the late style throw bearing, but the engine I have just fitted has the old style pressure plate.

Do I need the center ring on this clutch?

At the moment the engine is installed in the car with NO center ring on the above style clutch, but it will not engage.

any pointers?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 19

Jump to: