Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65beeter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I think CB Performance sells them. But i'm sure they are "take offs" from ones they install and don't need the ring.

I emailed CB to see if they sell just the ring. Throughout the past few months, and many many questions I've had, I've found that you are a perfect example of "the Go-To-Guy". I'm sure you hear it a lot, but thanks Glenn, you are the man.
65beeter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody ever needs this, Kennedy sells the part themselves. However, I placed an ad here on the Samba looking for one and recieved no less than 20 replies in less than an hour! So they are out there and readily available. Thanks Samba
Stuggi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an even older clutch with the "three arms", with the "old" throwout bearing, but it has no centering ring. Should it be like this or is my clutch fubar-ed?

Orange VW Fest!
Pulled out of a Lake Fest!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on the left is fubared. The one on the right is how it should be for a 70.
And for the nit pickers, yes, the one on the left is 180mm. It was the first one I saw.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Torkman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have a centering ring for a Kennedy Stage 1? I have a 68 Tranny with the early TOB and bought an engine that came with the Kennedy Stage 1 but it does not have the centering ring (must have been removed in that the engine came out of a 74 Thing.) Will pay for shipping.

Also, I have heard that if the pressure plate is not removed by taking each bolt out a little at a time, the PP may warp. I did not take off the PP, it was off when I picked up the engine. Anyway to test/check the PP to see if it is OK?
Otisfootball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: 1970 Convertible Reply with quote

Not being a mechanic by any means, however trying to learn...I bought a 70 convertible and the clutch made a horrible grinding noise and didn't engage. After pushing it to the nearest shop they attempted to fix the bug. Now the clutch makes a weak whiny noise when pushed in and shifting to third gear is a pain (with noise). Anyone have thoughts about what they did wrong, so I can fix it?

Exact words from the mechanic were, "Old parts with new parts..."

My thought is he put the old parts in without the center piece.

The bill was paid by the seller since it happened so fast after the sell...Also, I'm dropping the bug off next week for work on the emissons that failed a New Jersey inspection and I need the lingo for the clutch if possible to kill two tasks at once.

Thanks,
Jack
WAYNE HENSON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: TRANNYS AND CLUTCHES Reply with quote

THANK YOU SO MUCH !

THESAMBA IS A GREAT SITE
Wilfredo R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Throwout Bearing Reply with quote

Could i use the late throwout bearing on a 1974 Super Beetle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout Bearing Reply with quote

Wilfredo Rumingan wrote:

Yes... 1971 and newer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2002sportside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwout Bearing Reply with quote

Wilfredo Rumingan wrote:

That is what the late throwout bearing is for, any transmission after '71.
Wilfredo R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Throwout Bearing Reply with quote

Ok, thanks guys, really appreciate it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chi-townbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Clutches and throw out bearings Reply with quote

I am having difficulty installing the engine. Everything looks to be lined up properly but the engine will not slide on as it is described in the two repair manuals I have. The throw out bearing became un attached from the springs that hold it in place on the clutch lever, which is why I thought the engine would not slide in. Researching this forum to find out what I was doing incorrect, I came upon the pictures posted by Glenn in Dec. of 2005 on this subject. The pictures leave me a bit more confused. The photos posted by Glen show a Centering sleeve for the late models. My 73 super does not have a centering sleeve. Is there anyone in the Northwest side of Chicago that can give me a hand?? you can reach me off line at [email protected]

Regards,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutches and throw out bearings Reply with quote

chi-townbug wrote:
I am having difficulty installing the engine. Everything looks to be lined up properly but the engine will not slide on as it is described in the two repair manuals I have. The throw out bearing became un attached from the springs that hold it in place on the clutch lever, which is why I thought the engine would not slide in. Researching this forum to find out what I was doing incorrect, I came upon the pictures posted by Glenn in Dec. of 2005 on this subject. The pictures leave me a bit more confused. The photos posted by Glen show a Centering sleeve for the late models. My 73 super does not have a centering sleeve. Is there anyone in the Northwest side of Chicago that can give me a hand?? you can reach me off line at [email protected]

Regards,
Mike

Post up a couple pictures of the problem
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '73 should not have a centering ring. The photos he posted show an early style (with centering ring) and late style (without). Yours sounds like it's the late style. You have to make sure the throwout bearing is the correct type, and that you have the late model sleeve as well.
Stuggi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
The one on the left is fubared. The one on the right is how it should be for a 70.
And for the nit pickers, yes, the one on the left is 180mm. It was the first one I saw.

Thanks mate (forgot to check this tread for updates! ^^). Any idea on how they get that FUBAR'ed, cause mine looked exactly the same?

Orange VW Fest!
Pulled out of a Lake Fest!
neverlift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have read the posts and am still lost. I have a sandrail that im trying to finish. I had it working good untill I pushed the clutch pedal too far and cut the springs that held the throw out bearing. Its a dp1600 and irs tranny. dont know the years. Here are some pics. I have jamar pedals with a hyd slave cylinder. Im going to make a stop for the pedal so I dont cut the clips again. But im lost on the center ring stuff. Thanks for any help.
[/img]
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ you need the centering ring on your pressure plate. ^^^^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tricks for putting on the centering ring?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooledfever07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my Trans and it has the earlier t/o bearing but has the three holes tapped for the later t/o bearing guide sleeve. Looks like maybe the t/o bearing was changed out to the older style?? If thats the case, should I buy a guide sleeve and change back the t/o bearing to the late style? Sounds like the late style doesn't have as many problems as the early style?? I haven't bought a clutch or pressure plate yet, so that wont be an issue.
drift-monkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there guys im new to this forum and my dad has just got back into beach buggies and weve been trying to find out why the clutch when engaging makes a noise and ive read on this post that u cant use a early throwout baering with a 1600clutch and flywheel which he currently has in his vw, what would he have to change to allow him to still keep the new clutch and pressure plate he has but to still make the throwout bearing work without failure???
anyhelp appreciated , cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 19

Jump to: