Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No Spark...What'd I do?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

After fumbling my way thru R&Ring the ignition switch, everything seems to be working as designed except now I'm getting no spark. I have power to the coil and, just prior to replacing the ignition switch, I did start it using a remote switch in diagnosing the no crank issue.

I must have done something wrong. Any ideas what?
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
1965 Moto Guzzi Lodola GT
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

Real points-style distributor or aftermarket "electronic/Pertronix" ????
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

You didn't ID the model year of your car.
From '71-onward VW added the "X" circuit to the ignition switch. This is a black/yellow wire. Similar to the 15 circuit black wire from the ignition switch the X circuit is powered when the key is in the ON/RUN position. But unlike the 15 circuit the X circuit is not powered while the key is in the START position.
It is easy to mix these two wires up, but what happens is the ignition coil is powered when testing but there is no power to the ignition coil while cranking the engine.

The black 15 wire connects from the ignition switch to the #11 or #12 fuse INPUT side.
The X black/yellow wire connects to the INPUT side of fuse 10 in model years from '72-later.
Double check you do not have these wires swapped.

To confirm your ignition is actually powered while starting the engine, place a test lamp or VM on the ignition coil #15 terminal and confirm there is voltage there while the key is in the START position and the engine is cranking.

There is also a small chance the ignition switch is faulty. Some have reported issue with new aftermarket ignition switches. You could do a test and confirm each wire on the ignition switch is powered or not in the 3 different switch positions.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Aftermarket
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Aftermarket

Sorry !!!

If your wires are correct, suspect the aftermarket distributor.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

Is your big cable from coil to distributor confirmed to be fully inserted into each component firmly? I had two occasions, decades apart, where the cable was only held in place in the coil by the rubber boot's tension; that is, the actual metal contacts were not tight. After time and driving vibrations, the contact inside the coil center terminal was lost and the car quit cleanly while driving. To fix it, I spread the metal contacts on the end of the coil wire slightly apart with pliers in my in-car tool kit, pressed the cable firmly back into the coil, and the car started right up again. Came from using an old cable I had lying around.
Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
You didn't ID the model year of your car.
From '71-onward VW added the "X" circuit to the ignition switch. This is a black/yellow wire. Similar to the 15 circuit black wire from the ignition switch the X circuit is powered when the key is in the ON/RUN position. But unlike the 15 circuit the X circuit is not powered while the key is in the START position.
It is easy to mix these two wires up, but what happens is the ignition coil is powered when testing but there is no power to the ignition coil while cranking the engine.

The black 15 wire connects from the ignition switch to the #11 or #12 fuse INPUT side.
The X black/yellow wire connects to the INPUT side of fuse 10 in model years from '72-later.
Double check you do not have these wires swapped.

To confirm your ignition is actually powered while starting the engine, place a test lamp or VM on the ignition coil #15 terminal and confirm there is voltage there while the key is in the START position and the engine is cranking.

There is also a small chance the ignition switch is faulty. Some have reported issue with new aftermarket ignition switches. You could do a test and confirm each wire on the ignition switch is powered or not in the 3 different switch positions.

Thanks Ashman. BTW, this is the '71 Super in my signature.

As you suspected, the ignition coil #15 terminal loses voltage when cranking.

This wiring diagram in the service manual and the one from JBugs where I purchased the switch shows the x-black/yellow connecting to the red/black going to the light switch.

When you refer to the "INPUT" side, which side is that exactly?
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:
BTW, this is the '71 Super in my signature.

Ahhh, thanks. I missed that. Wink

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:
This wiring diagram in the service manual and the one from JBugs where I purchased the switch shows the x-black/yellow connecting to the red/black going to the light switch.

Not sure about a red/black wire but in '71 the X black/yellow wire powered the "X" terminal on the headlight switch.
In later years this wire powered multiple devices in addition to the headlights.

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:

THIS is a problem. You need to find out if the problem exists at the ignition switch. Crawl under the steering column and find the solid black wire coming out of the ignition switch. Test this wire while the key is in the START position. No voltage here means the problem is internal to the switch.

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:

Remove the fuse from a powered fuse (simulating the fuse blowing) one of the clips that holds the fuse will still remain powered. This is the INPUT side. You should find that all the fuse INPUTS are along the same side of the fuse box.
Mixing up the INPUT/OUTPUTS side of the fuse when connecting wires will case issues like fuses blowing for no apparent reason.
Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Freebirdbeachbum wrote:
BTW, this is the '71 Super in my signature.

Ahhh, thanks. I missed that. Wink

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:

Not sure about a red/black wire but in '71 the X black/yellow wire powered the "X" terminal on the headlight switch.
In later years this wire powered multiple devices in addition to the headlights.

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:

THIS is a problem. You need to find out if the problem exists at the ignition switch. Crawl under the steering column and find the solid black wire coming out of the ignition switch. Test this wire while the key is in the START position. No voltage here means the problem is internal to the switch.

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:

Remove the fuse from a powered fuse (simulating the fuse blowing) one of the clips that holds the fuse will still remain powered. This is the INPUT side. You should find that all the fuse INPUTS are along the same side of the fuse box.
Mixing up the INPUT/OUTPUTS side of the fuse when connecting wires will case issues like fuses blowing for no apparent reason.

I confirmed the black wire is on the input side. However, I failed to be able to contort myself and/or use a mirror to put a test light on that wire coming out of the switch so I did it at the other end of the wire after disconnecting from the fuse block.

Sure enough, it has voltage in the on position and loses it in the start position.
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

And you are absolutely SURE the wire going from the ignition switch to your fuse box (should be coming in to the input side of #11 fuse on your 71) is solid black wire? That would be the #15 (ignition-powered in ON and START positions)

Just as a confirmation to see whether these two wires (the solid black #15 wire and the yellow/ black "X" wire) are mixed up: turn the key to the ON position, then turn the headlights on, then turn the key to the START position and see whether or not the headlights go out when you turn it to START.
If they don't, then either those two wires are mixed up or it's a flaw in the new ignition switch.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
And you are absolutely SURE the wire going from the ignition switch to your fuse box (should be coming in to the input side of #11 fuse on your 71) is solid black wire? That would be the #15 (ignition-powered in ON and START positions)

Just as a confirmation to see whether these two wires (the solid black #15 wire and the yellow/ black "X" wire) are mixed up: turn the key to the ON position, then turn the headlights on, then turn the key to the START position and see whether or not the headlights go out when you turn it to START.
If they don't, then either those two wires are mixed up or it's a flaw in the new ignition switch.

The headlights go out.
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:
sb001 wrote:

The headlights go out.

OK, then unless you somehow have the black 15 wire and the yellow/black "X" wire tied together coming off the same "X" terminal on the new ignition switch, the switch is faulty.
I wouldn't be surprised...

1600 SP engine
Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Freebirdbeachbum wrote:
sb001 wrote:

The headlights go out.

OK, then unless you somehow have the black 15 wire and the yellow/black "X" wire tied together coming off the same "X" terminal on the new ignition switch, the switch is faulty.
I wouldn't be surprised...

Jbugs is sending me a replacement switch. Thanks for your help. I'll post the outcome when the new switch is installed.
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

My confidence in new aftermarket ignition switches has just gone down another level. Sad
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
My confidence in new aftermarket ignition switches has just gone down another level. Sad

It went a long time ago for me. I installed a 68 version a few years ago. Turned it. I heard a click and a puff of smoke came from it. NOS one works fine.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

It was, in fact, a bad ignition switch. I received the replacement today, installed it and she fired right up.

Thanks all.
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

Good to hear!

1600 SP engine
Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

I celebrated prematurely and had to go rescue my wife today when it wouldnt crank again. Fortunately, push-starting was easy and it got home under it's own power.

There doesnt seem to be any "positions" when the key is turned and it doesnt snap back to the run position when turned to the start position. I had to disconnect the battery as it's now in the run position regardless, even when the key is removed. Are these JBugs ignition switches really that poor or am I doing something wrong?
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra

Last edited by Freebirdbeachbum on Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:
I celebrated prematurely and had to go rescue my wife today when it wouldnt crank again. Fortunately, push-starting was easy and it got home under it's own power.

Their doesnt seem to be any "positions" when the key is turned and it doesnt snap back to the run position when turned to the start position. I had to disconnect the battery as it now it the run position regardless, even when the key is removed. Are these JBugs ignition switches really that poor or am I doing something wrong?

Surprised
If it's not even snapping back from START to RUN positions it's another bad switch plain and simple. Did it ever snap back like it's supposed to or has it been that way since you installed it??
Obviously these switches they are selling are simply horrible. Demand your money back and shop elsewhere, Make them get the message. It would probably even be better to find a used original ignition switch in the classifieds here and have it rekeyed.

1600 SP engine
Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark...What'd I do? Reply with quote

It did work as it should for a short period, maybe a dozen or so times before it failed.
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: