Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences. Reply with quote

Doing an oil change on a friends Bug. Noted his sump plate has a ridge stamped in it, which results in a raised edge inside that interferes with the strainer sitting flat against the sump plate. I note that on my 66 Bug, the sump plate has no such ridge.

What gives? Two styles on sump plates, and one of them does not work with the strainer we got, unless I stack three gaskets between the sump plate and strainer.

whats the scoop on these parts, what fits with what? what year models had what.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As seen in photo, the ridge is just inside the bolthole circle, the strainer sits up on that ridge leaving a gap between the strainer and the flat section of the sump plate. I had to glue three paper gaskets together to fill the gap between the plate and strainer!
On my other sump plates, there is no ridge , the strainer sits on them nice and flat.
Is there a different strainer available for this ridged sump plate? Is this plate intended to be used with no strainer?

I am very confused here. Never seen this before.

thanks!
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences. Reply with quote

here is a photo on the ridged plate I got from the gallery, this is like what my friends Bug has, but his strainer sits on that ridge, raised up above the bolt hole circle for the six mounting studs
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences. Reply with quote

this one here from gallery has no raised ridge, the type I have on my 66...
one mine the strainer sits nicely on the plate over the bolt holes...

zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences. Reply with quote

So which strainer should be used with the ridged plate? OR... is a extra thick gasket required instead for between strainer and ridge plate?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences. Reply with quote

I looked at 3 i have, 2 are original with no center drain plug hole but have the ridge and a new one from CB that has a drain hole, but no ridges.

Im guessing the gasket is supposed to offset the heigth of the ridge, but gaskets can very alot in thickness. The silicone gaskets from wolfsburg west, which work well, are thicker.

CB drain plate is only $10, but isnt perfectly flat either. Some time with a file fixes that. You need a new screen. Most screens today are for 3/4" diameter pickup tube. Earlier, smaller pickups are difficult to find.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences. Reply with quote

Might just be an optical illusion, but your sump plate looks like the center has been dented in, giving the plate an overall domed shape.

The several original plates I have all have the raised ridge. With the thin aluminum that the strainers are made of, any strainer to sump fit issue will sort itself out when you bolt the steel plate to the case.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences. Reply with quote

No optical illusion, the two other plates I posted here from the photo gallery show the difference more clearly than my photos. My 66 Bug, bone stock, 77k miles, second owner has the no ridge style
My strainer is steel, not aluminum. But even if aluminum, the ridge is under the part of the strainer that is right under where the mesh starts, so it wont work without a very thick gasket.
The only two things that make sense for this ridged style is a larger diameter mesh section of the strainer, or a thicker gasket.

I am trying to figure what years have the different style, and if the stainers also changed. I see strainers sold that are years specific.

I think the oil pump pick up tube might have changed diameters at one point, and I know some early engines, perhaps 1100cc had a strainer with no relief spring, and later ones have the relief spring.

I sure want to figure this out, I did get this working for my friend with three gaskets glued together to take up the gap. But I kind of want to know when VW made changes, and which parts work together.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences. Reply with quote

That plate of your looks convex, like someone dropped the engine on it's drain plug..

Some later strainers have a larger ID that would fit over the ridge, the only issue is the hole in the case is big enough. Maybe the ridge is a later thing that's there to make sure you only use the bigger strainer?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That plate of your looks convex, like someone dropped the engine on it's drain plug..

Some later strainers have a larger ID that would fit over the ridge, the only issue is the hole in the case is big enough. Maybe the ridge is a later thing that's there to make sure you only use the bigger strainer?

it is an optical illusion, the plate is flat other than the ridge. Yes, a larger diameter strainer net will solve the problem. I just want to figure what year or models used this type and what type of strainer to order for next time.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences. Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
I looked at 3 i have, 2 are original with no center drain plug hole but have the ridge and a new one from CB that has a drain hole, but no ridges.

Im guessing the gasket is supposed to offset the heigth of the ridge, but gaskets can very alot in thickness. The silicone gaskets from wolfsburg west, which work well, are thicker.

CB drain plate is only $10, but isnt perfectly flat either. Some time with a file fixes that. You need a new screen. Most screens today are for 3/4" diameter pickup tube. Earlier, smaller pickups are difficult to find.

So at what year or engine size was the pick up tube diameter changed?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Sump Plate Differences, Oil Strainer Differences. Reply with quote

The dual pressure relief cases could be either 5/8 or 3/4". the earlier ones were 1/2"

Here is my CB drain plate. It was not perfectly flat around the holes so I fixed it. No ridge also. $9.95

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: