Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sidedraft tuning Q
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Sidedraft tuning Q Reply with quote

so after reading the manual im out installing my DBB rebuilt sidedraft i bought from them in a 'complete' kit that was missing a bunch of parts....

It fires right up! i turn the mixture screw, nothing happens.
i pull it out, it has a slight groove on it, so i grab one outta this old sidedraft and the needle is a diff length, i grab one outta a beetle 30 pict, and its a diff length too!
Hmm....

SO anyone KNOW where i can get the correct one and be sure its for a sidedraft and will be right the first time? OR a rebuild kit for this old carb i have lying here, this is starting to piss me off.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of parts sidedrafts and could send you a screw if I know what to send. Length? Pictures?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the offer, but i dont know what is the correct length Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have parts, and a partially complete carb if you would like pics, or anything i can help you with. I just put mine together. PM me with any questions.
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked ay mt PHN carbs:
PHN carburetor - 29 mm
PHN-1 carburetors - one with 26 mm, one with 29 mm.

I looked at some spare 28 PCI and 28-PICT carbs. I have and they all had 26 mm screws and they appear identical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i wonder if the length really matters then based on your pnh-1, as long as the taper is correct?

ive tried all 3 lengths i had, although the new one from a 28pict rebuild kit didnt change anything, maybe ill throw on this 'junk' sidedraft this afternoon and see how it performs...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think length matters.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the length realy matters. Its the taper like you said. If nothing is happening while you adjust it then I would be suspicious of an intake leak. Most common culprit is the carb to manifold gasket. Make sure its a thick one as the manifold base or the carb base may be warped a bit. The thicker gasket will compensate. Secondly make sure that lower, hard to reach nut is tight. There is a special tool out there that is made to get to it with out removing the manifold. Thirdly the manifold heat risers may be rusted out to the point where the wall has comprimised the intakes wall. This is hard to determin on a visual as its hidden inside.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I don't think length matters.

Tell that one to the old lady and see if she can keep a straight face Laughing jk

What exactly is the problem you are having with the carb? Is it only that it will not adjust while running? Is it idiling poorly, or at all?
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had no time to mess with it today.

it is a tad bit hard to start, but then when idling (poorly chugging) turning the mixture screw does NOTHING to idle speed or quality.
seems to run decent at above idle speed.
all gaskets are new, and carb was installed/tightened on manifold first, then it installed on motor.
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubjim wrote:
had no time to mess with it today.

it is a tad bit hard to start, but then when idling (poorly chugging) turning the mixture screw does NOTHING to idle speed or quality.
seems to run decent at above idle speed.
all gaskets are new, and carb was installed/tightened on manifold first, then it installed on motor.

My sidedraft car is also hard to start. If i put gas straight in it, it fires right up, and I can shut it off and it will start right up again. Seems like all the fuel drains out of the carb when it sits overnight Question If it runs better at the higher RPMs could be a lot of things, check the fuel cut off switch, make sure its hooked up properly. that was my biggest problem, it will barely run without it but it will run good at high RMPs.
Pl@y@ #1
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips, i am messing with it in a few, i still think its the carb or something due to the adjustment screw not altering idle performance.
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new carb is J U N K.
i hope the DBB makes good on this....

Old carb bolted on the mixture screw works!!!
car runs poorly im guessing due to the carb being covered in oil leaking gas etc...
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im sure they will make good on it, if nothing else there are a lot of other carb places that will get it perfect for you, and maybe the DDB will refund your money. I know they are not about bad publicity so im sure they will make good!
Good luck with the car man.
Pl@y@ #1
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHAPTER 4:

Ok here is the latest saga!

So i soak the parts carb for a few days, put it back together with the existing parts, bolt it on, fires up, same though, idles, adjustment screw works, no accelerate. DARN, must need a new pump.

So i throw it off to the side.

Now i take the top off the DBB rebuilt carb to see whats with it:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

YES that is the accelerator pump that was in it lying there!
and THIS is lying in the bowl bottom, i dont know what it is, anyone?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(nut is there for size reference)

SO....

i take back apart the parts carb and am compairing the 2, and i notice the parts carb is missing a little metal roll pin looking thing that sits in a column that the accelerator pump pushes gas through, so i put on in it and BAM! it works!!! WOO HOO! lets hope i can get this all squared away this week now!!!! and work this rebuilt carb, refund or something out!
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what that piece is for, but i had a similar one that goes in the larger hole that pumps fuel manually as you give the car throttle to start it. With mine it was also sitting in the bottom of the carb when i took it apart... Also if that is the rebuilt carb i would be doubtfull if they even took it apart, looks well used to me.
Pl@y@ #1
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man.. i'm getting ready to pull the carb on my t34 soon to give it a rebuild... reading all this makes me a bit nervous. anything in particular i should look for before i start pulling it out and taking it apart? also, what is the difference between the 32 PHN and the 32 PHN-1?
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something i didnt have was a very good pic of it all apart, i just remembered how it was and put it back the same way, im sure why i missed the little metering thingy. i didnt have a rebuild kit either, im still looking for one, maybe it will have a nice pic like the bug ones do?

OH and when your stripping it to soak, DONT pull out that bottom (on the outside) grub screw and lock nut, that holds something inside the throat of the carb, i dont know the name of it, looks to direct air into the mix or something, that was a bitch to get back in straight.
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the saga continues.....

i soaked the above pic carb THREE days. put in a NEW rebuild kit. GUESS WHAT? that damn screw still does NOTHING.

so im led to believe that the carb is damaged around the seat of the needle?

If someone knows where i can get a WORKING carb, LET ME KNOW! im tired of my car sitting in the garage!!!!!
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubjim wrote:
the saga continues.....

i soaked the above pic carb THREE days. put in a NEW rebuild kit. GUESS WHAT? that damn screw still does NOTHING.

so im led to believe that the carb is damaged around the seat of the needle?

If someone knows where i can get a WORKING carb, LET ME KNOW! im tired of my car sitting in the garage!!!!!

Have your tried Bill at Wolfsburg Warehouse in Seattle? He has loads of obscure parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: