Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full flow oil?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not done it but I am not afraid of it. However, I know someone that did to it. They welded small saddles onto the oil galley so there is more meat to thread the fitting into. I would recommend that as well. The galley wall is too thin for my comfort to thread a fitting into. One small bump and it could start to leak.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought about that too. Like others, my biggest concern with this method is how fragile the case is in that area. The welding is above my skill set but there's people around here that could do it. Just have to find or make some aluminum saddles. I guess aluminum would be the thing to use. Not sure of any alloy that might be particularly suitable but the welder might know.

I've also wondered if there's any reason you couldn't use hydraulic hoses to plumb a full-flow setup. They come in pre-made lengths. They're heat/oil resistant & made to withstand high pressure, and they're easily available if you need a replacement. Seems like a perfect fit.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, your welder should know what will work. If not call the guys that do case mods. They weld up the #3 area regularly and know what works.

As for hydraulic hoses. They do work fine. I know because that is what I used on my first full flow application. However the hoses are quite stiff and difficult to work with. I am using the SS braided hose and AN fittings from Jegs. You can cut and make up your own very easily. I have also used the AN fittings and push on hoses from Jegs. They work well too. super simple to create your own system. They work very similar to the braided hose fittings except they leterally push onto the fittings and will hold the pressure with no problem. I think this is the least expensive route.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be really slick if you could weld a spin-on adapter in that location. Then it would be a simple matter to spin on a filter right there. I've looked at the area, & with the shrouds and exhaust in place it would be awfully tight. Plus you have the worry of stress from the weight of a filter, and stress every time you install/remove it possibly breaking the welds. Not sure if that should be a concern or not but it would always be at the back of my mind. There's also the hot air from the left side of the engine that would be blowing straight on the filter. In the past, when I ran a filter pump, I fabbed a simple heat shield for the filter to deflect the air around it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: