Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel gauge question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herdfan75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Fuel gauge question Reply with quote

Yes, I searched for the answer.

My fuel gauge doesn't move at all when I turn the key on. When I tested the yellow wire plugged onto the top of the sender on the tank with a test light, it lit up and the gauge moved up to approximately 1/4 of a tank (which is approximately how much gasoline is in the car). The brown wire is plugged into the other terminal on the sender. Any ideas?

I'm thinking that the ground wire is simply not connected. Where does this particular ground connect? I guess I could simply test this by running a test ground to this terminal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423757&highlight=
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drummertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are dealing with stereo speakers, ground is ground. You should be able to put that brown lead on any ground and it work, but I would have someone watching the gauge and be prepared to disconnect the ground. I had a gauge burn up once. Not on A VW, but I would still be careful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: