Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

adjusting steering box
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: adjusting steering box Reply with quote

im going to be putting the sqaure through an mot very soon, and it needs the play in the steering wheel sorted out, basically uk mot says your not allowed more than 2 inches of play either way on the steering, ive got about 3-4 inches either way and it doesnt turn to good, so how do i tighten it up?
and yes i have searched for it, didnt find anything
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the bolts that hold the cover on the gearbox. They are known to come loose. If those are tight, try loosening the lock nut, on the adjusting screw, and turning it in (with the front wheels straight ahead) until it is snug, then backing it off 1/8-1/4 turn. Lock the jamb nut back down.
If this doesnt take the play out of the steering wheel, then look for other problems.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bolts on the gearbox as in the gearbox for the engine on is there one on the beam cant say ive ever done steering ona type 3
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

break out your Bentley - it describes the procedure perfectly...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont have a bentley manual, as far as ive seen i cant get one in the uk
ive got a haynes but its uh not in the best of shape

and from what ive found from it, its as usefull as a chocolate teapot
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steering box on the front axle.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers russ Cool
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to lift the front wheels before adjusting the box -
(At least that is how I was warned!)

TOM

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
The Steering box on the front axle.
Its a stumper ain't it

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never done a steering box, as far as im concerened the steering is there just to help u go sideways Wink
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
never done a steering box, as far as im concerened the steering is there just to help u go sideways Wink

go figure you have been telling everyone how smart you are and can not even figure where the steering box is on your car in the UK FYI they are on what we call the passenger side up front I hope you can figure that out on your own

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:

this is the funniest bit - as if they are a banned/controlled piece of info....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm book store e bay the samba These are sold everywhere

pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just dont bother with manuals, havnt even bothered to look for a bently manual to be honest, why spend money on something i wont use, i can get all the info i need over the phone, buying a manual defeats the object of being a man,fix stuff till it works or its broken, if it breaks fix it till it works again, ive usedmy type 3 manual once, that was to have a look at the wiring diagram, which didnt even go with my car.

meh so what if i dont know where my steering box is, i dont care, if you care then it shows how sad you really are and quite petty and got nothing else to do with yourself, Rolling Eyes
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
i just dont bother with manuals, havnt even bothered to look for a bently manual to be honest, why spend money on something i wont use, i can get all the info i need over the phone, buying a manual defeats the object of being a man,fix stuff till it works or its broken, if it breaks fix it till it works again, ive usedmy type 3 manual once, that was to have a look at the wiring diagram, which didnt even go with my car.

meh so what if i dont know where my steering box is, i dont care, if you care then it shows how sad you really are and quite petty and got nothing else to do with yourself, Rolling Eyes

but aren't you the yob who stated that you were smarter than the original German engineers at VW? that said you were smarter than everyone else here as well?

using a manual "defeats the object of being a man"? reading the instructions on how to maintain and fix your car is somehow 'unmanly'?

it seems that everytime you post here, you show more of your ignorance - not just about VW's, but about life in general... now, I won't generalize and state that you are typical in your generation, but you also don't seem to be doing them any favors, either...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:

You always prove how ignorant you are with every post. Manuals are like any other tool in a toolbox. They are for reference and correct answers to questions. If you did have the Bently, your dumb ass wouldn't be here asking how to adjust the steering box, would it?
AllAmericanDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
meh so what if i dont know where my steering box is, i dont care, if you care then it shows how sad you really are and quite petty and got nothing else to do with yourself

My wife could at least point to the right end of the car when asked where the steering box is...I know because I just asked her. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Quote:
bolts on the gearbox as in the gearbox for the engine on is there one on the beam cant say ive ever done steering ona type 3

Just giving ya a hard time. Twisted Evil

Click to view image

Last edited by AllAmericanDan on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
ive got a haynes but its uh not in the best of shape

and from what ive found from it, its as usefull as a chocolate teapot

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/083760057X/qid=11...p;n=283155
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
pitslayer wrote:

You always prove how ignorant you are with every post. Manuals are like any other tool in a toolbox. They are for reference and correct answers to questions. If you did have the Bently, your dumb ass wouldn't be here asking how to adjust the steering box, would it?
Hey ICY wouldn't the Bentley tell him also which end of the car the steering box is on? again its a stumper ain't it.

pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorted now anyways, just put a smaller steering wheel on i know where the steering box would be, just not exactly where, the only reason i posted is because some people dont like to be woken up about steeringboxes at stupid hours of the morning Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: