Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

material for under cargo mat in square and tar boards
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rloaircool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: material for under cargo mat in square and tar boards Reply with quote

I need to replace the insulation under the cargo mat in my squareback. Has anyone found anything that works good? It doesnt have to be correct, just want it to do the job. I was looking at this:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=T43%2D4411

I am also looking for tar boards, but I can only find them for type 1s. Would they work?
x43x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try polymeric mastic. You can get it from McMaster-Carr. I used it in my car and it works real well. Try doing a forum search and you should be able to get the product #. Here is a thread with some pictures on how it looks:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1142477&highlight=#1142477
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the camping section at Wal-mart and get a 1/2" closed cell sleeping pad. Cheap and works great. Funny color, tho.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dyno-mat or similar your willing to pay the price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rloaircool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
You could try polymeric mastic. You can get it from McMaster-Carr. I used it in my car and it works real well. Try doing a forum search and you should be able to get the product #. Here is a thread with some pictures on how it looks:

I am going to order some of that, it looks like it will work nicely. How many sheets did you use on your squareback? I was thinking of ordering 4.
x43x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlowryda wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I am going to order some of that, it looks like it will work nicely. How many sheets did you use on your squareback? I was thinking of ordering 4.

Yeah, I ordered 4 sheets and had enough for the whole car including inside the doors.
rloaircool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
vwlowryda wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Yeah, I ordered 4 sheets and had enough for the whole car including inside the doors.

So have you driven the square with it all insulated yet?
Also, where did you find the chrome frame for your euro front plate?
x43x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlowryda wrote:
So have you driven the square with it all insulated yet?
Also, where did you find the chrome frame for your euro front plate?

I have driven it a little bit and the engine noise has been greatly reduced in the cabin. My mom could hear the music from the rear 4" speakers while in the backseat so that is good. My engine is quite loud though and at high speeds it was noisy, but nothing the stereo couldnt drowned out.

The license plate frame was just an extra $10 from the place I ordered the plate from. I've forgotten the exact website, but you could probably do a Google search for custom euro plates and find it. Also, its actually a plastic frame that they made shiny.

Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: