Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Theres a pond in my Square!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RattySquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Theres a pond in my Square! Reply with quote

For some reason my 73' square puddles up water mostly driverside floor pan and i cant seem to figure out where the heck its coming from. i can seem to find any holes in the floor pan that it would come through? weve thought maybe through the heater ducts...or through the door itself since the guy i bought it from put a really thick weatherstripping on it...anyways...any suggestions as to where its coming from? also...water seems to puddle in the bottom of the driverside door inside?

i was also wondering if anyone knew of any websites for custom square parts...such as clear lenses...eyebrows...fog lamps...narrowed beams...dropped spindles...ect..

thanks,
devin
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Theres a pond in my Square! Reply with quote

54Special wrote:

i was also wondering if anyone knew of any websites for custom square parts...such as clear lenses...eyebrows...fog lamps...narrowed beams...dropped spindles...ect..

thanks,
devin

classifieds here, ebay for most parts... no such thing as a narrowed beam for a Type 3 -- there are some narrowed Type 1 beams that are being retrofitted to them... dropped spindles aren't necessary, as you can lower the front end without them...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buzzbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and check out the 'type 3 water leaks' thread a bit lower down the page.
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Theres a pond in my Square! Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
54Special wrote:

thanks,
devin

classifieds here, ebay for most parts... no such thing as a narrowed beam for a Type 3 -- there are some narrowed Type 1 beams that are being retrofitted to them... dropped spindles aren't necessary, as you can lower the front end without them...

Depending on how far you go down drop spindles can be nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69sqbck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: leaks Reply with quote

Check out this thread for the leak issue

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119703
1969 Type 3 Fastback
(o)\|/(o) Sole Designs, VW Restorations, Savannah, GA
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Theres a pond in my Square! Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:

no such thing as a narrowed beam for a Type 3 -- .

really whats this then
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/paddy311/Picture037.jpg
that would be type 3 detectives narrowed type3 beam Wink [/img][/list]
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Theres a pond in my Square! Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
blankmange wrote:

really whats this then

that would be type 3 detectives narrowed type3 beam Wink [/img]

don't see that for sale on their site -- is that a one-off?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them for sale
RattySquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Theres a pond in my Square! Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
blankmange wrote:

really whats this then

Wheres that from...i want one!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RattySquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Theres a pond in my Square! Reply with quote

[quote="blankmange"]
54Special wrote:

there are some narrowed Type 1 beams that are being retrofitted to them... dropped spindles aren't necessary, as you can lower the front end without them...

There are narrowed beams...and why wouldnt i want to lower the car with dropped spindles...if anyone knows where to get some...or if anyone wants to make me some...im willing to pay...hah
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Theres a pond in my Square! Reply with quote

54Special wrote:
blankmange wrote:

there are some narrowed Type 1 beams that are being retrofitted to them... dropped spindles aren't necessary, as you can lower the front end without them...

There are narrowed beams...and why wouldnt i want to lower the car with dropped spindles...if anyone knows where to get some...or if anyone wants to make me some...im willing to pay...hah

because a Type 3 has an adjustable beam - dropped spindles aren't necessary...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
milfredo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beams you see for sale are Beetle beams, or custom beams that use beetle parts but fit the T3 bulk head.

See kustom coach works web site.

The nature of a T3 beam means that it can't really be narrowed like a beetle.

Will
buzzbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, they're a serious assembly of curvy stamped metal and spring steel, by the looks Shocked
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milfredo wrote:
The beams you see for sale are Beetle beams, or custom beams that use beetle parts but fit the T3 bulk head.

See kustom coach works web site.

The nature of a T3 beam means that it can't really be narrowed like a beetle.

Will

Yes thats correct, the ones I have seen are just made to fit a type 3.
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Theres a pond in my Square! Reply with quote

54Special wrote:
pitslayer wrote:
blankmange wrote:

really whats this then

Wheres that from...i want one!

dno where it came from, its T3D`s in the uk, very very cool car
and as far as im aware, the guy might be making some more, and from what i glanced through the post that, its an actual type 3 beams
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying it would be imposable to narrow a type 3 beam I just think it would be the hard way to do it. the narrowed beams that are made to fit the type 3's work fine and the price would not be competitive if you reenginered the type 3 stock beam. The type 3 beam has torsions moving at an angle and you would have to build a new beam from scratch with a different torsion bar angle because of how the bars cross in the beam.

The type 1 stile beams that are made to work with the type 3 are a much smarter choice.
RattySquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way...i just want my SB looooow...i've heard that narrowed beams and dropped spindles are the way to go...i view lowering the car via the torsion bars (or however its done) it comprible to cutting the coils on an american car (such as the 54' buick i own, with cut, and heated coils with a bumpy ride) but what do i know...i seriously JUST got into volkswagens hah!
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

54Special wrote:
Either way...i just want my SB looooow...i've heard that narrowed beams and dropped spindles are the way to go...i view lowering the car via the torsion bars (or however its done) it comprible to cutting the coils on an american car (such as the 54' buick i own, with cut, and heated coils with a bumpy ride) but what do i know...i seriously JUST got into volkswagens hah!

on the contrary, adjusting the torsions on a type 3 in my opinion dosnt affect the ride very bad at all. I had my last one dumped and it rode great in the front unless I hit a big pothole the beam would tag the ground but you would have that same problem.
RattySquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdub wrote:

on the contrary, adjusting the torsions on a type 3 in my opinion dosnt affect the ride very bad at all. I had my last one dumped and it rode great in the front unless I hit a big pothole the beam would tag the ground but you would have that same problem.

Thats very true...would tire rub be a problem though? how low exactly could i get by adjusting the torsions? see the reason that im thinking about a narrowed beam is for rubbing and turn radius
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

54Special wrote:
vdub wrote:

Thats very true...would tire rub be a problem though? how low exactly could i get by adjusting the torsions? see the reason that im thinking about a narrowed beam is for rubbing and turn radius

how low -- I have my square lowered 2 notches up front -- that translates to about a 4" drop, and you can go at least one more notch lower than that....

as long as you are running the correct offset wheels, rubbing is not an issue -- I run 195/60/15's on mine and no rubbing at all...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: