Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em.....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1994, 1995, 1996 ... 2181, 2182, 2183  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Beetle-Classic-...2255180430
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
awreed wrote:
chickengeorge wrote:
Gear and chain are for steering.

Biggest question for me is why, if you're going to go through all that work would you waste your time putting a pile of shit VW motor in it? Could have just as easily mounted something that will run without exploding at the most inopportune moment.

Looks like whoever built this car probably knew what they were doing. I don't see what you're seeing here.

The problem is not with the overall build, it is with the choice of motivation. What he is saying is, in his opinion, just about any other engine choice would have been better than an air cooled VW.

In this particular car and build, I tend to agree. Hell, even a hopped up 22R might have been a better choice.

Well, ok. I understand what you're saying, cdennisg. But I'm guessing that chickengeorge was referring to the Bergmann fan shroud and not so much the actual type of motor. Or maybe I'm reading into something that isn't there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
awreed wrote:
chickengeorge wrote:

Biggest question for me is why, if you're going to go through all that work would you waste your time putting a pile of shit VW motor in it? Could have just as easily mounted something that will run without exploding at the most inopportune moment.

Looks like whoever built this car probably knew what they were doing. I don't see what you're seeing here.

The problem is not with the overall build, it is with the choice of motivation. What he is saying is, in his opinion, just about any other engine choice would have been better than an air cooled VW.

In this particular car and build, I tend to agree. Hell, even a hopped up 22R might have been a better choice.

Well, ok. I understand what you're saying, cdennisg. But I'm guessing that chickengeorge was referring to the Bergmann fan shroud and not so much the actual type of motor. Or maybe I'm reading into something that isn't there.

Nope, the actual engine. I love VW's and have for many, many years. I can't stand the VW engine though and why, after going through that much custom work, somebody would use one, is beyond me. I've had more than one engine built by very good and reputable builders, only to have them take a turd with not that many miles on them. It's a poor design built with a poor choice of materials. I have almost exclusively hotrod buddies and they don't have to deal with the BS that we do. They buy a motor, take good care of it and are able to drive to distant car shows and whatnot with no trouble. All that said, I just keep coming back for more torture.

I've thought about joining a support group, but can't find one in my town. Very Happy.

What about that car I posted up top though. ^^^ That's a crazy amount of work, no?! Barely recognizable.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:

What about that car I posted up top though. ^^^ That's a crazy amount of work, no?! Barely recognizable.

Looks like a fiberglass kit car. There was a company in Fargo North Dakota pumping those out in the 80's.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

^^^ Rossi headlights, metallic blue paint, and EMPI five spokes. Is that a fitting specimen?
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ Rossi headlights, metallic blue paint, and EMPI five spokes. Is that a fitting specimen?

Don't forget about the fender brakes.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Don't forget about the fender brakes.

Looks like a four-finger gap to me.

I also see a redneck parking brake hiding on the floor.
Bunglebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

Only thing I dislike there is that Rossi headlight - why did people think upright headlights looked better in sloping wings?
Do what you want. Ignore the elitists. Drive your VW. Enjoy life.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
RidinRetro1973 wrote:

...Whats that orange thing in the background of the second shot??

Looks like an early Toyota FJ. (this is a model, but you get the idea)

GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:

I know I shouldn't but I kind of like this. Not 10K worth, but I do like it.

I wonder how the stretch was engineered?
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
awreed wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
awreed wrote:
chickengeorge wrote:

Nope, the actual engine. I love VW's and have for many, many years. I can't stand the VW engine though and why, after going through that much custom work, somebody would use one, is beyond me. I've had more than one engine built by very good and reputable builders, only to have them take a turd with not that many miles on them. It's a poor design built with a poor choice of materials. I have almost exclusively hotrod buddies and they don't have to deal with the BS that we do. They buy a motor, take good care of it and are able to drive to distant car shows and whatnot with no trouble. All that said, I just keep coming back for more torture.

I've thought about joining a support group, but can't find one in my town. Very Happy.

Are you talking about larger ACVW motors specifically, or are you including stock sized engines as well? Something like a 2332cc can most definitely be a ticking time bomb. But I've never had any serious issues with a stock built VW engine. A properly tuned and maintained VW should take you across the country and back- if not then its not the engineering, it's something else.
And I'm not sure how you can compare an underpowered-by-design German car to a hotrod. VWs were engineered to be utilitarian and easy to maintain- not race cars. Apples and oranges.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

From the classifieds today
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1976567

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

I like it! Cool
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

Patty B. wrote:
I like it! Cool

X2!
I would roll that anytime!
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
From the classifieds today
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1976567

Yes.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

62 Cadillac fins with 50 Buick tail lights and 39 Ford headlights. If anybody was wondering. And that's a guess. Feel free to correct.

Proportions aren't as bad as I'd imagine if somebody described it to me.
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
chickengeorge wrote:

I know I shouldn't but I kind of like this. Not 10K worth, but I do like it.

I wonder how the stretch was engineered?

I saw one built out of a super vert over 10 years ago. It was built on a late model Ford full size car chassis with a 460 Ford engine and running gear. I would assume this car is probably similar.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

I also think it looks pretty good, at least from this angle.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
eric eisenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW abortions, homemade bastards, post em..... Reply with quote

[quote="jvulich"][quote="GeorgeL"]
chickengeorge wrote:

they were kit cars called the carington the guy started building them in Georgia then moved to Florida

more pictures here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=33

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1994, 1995, 1996 ... 2181, 2182, 2183  Next
Jump to:
Page 1995 of 2183

Jump to: