Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel paint color for '55
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnzoRocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Wheel paint color for '55 Reply with quote

Hello,

I've seen many different kinds of wheel colors. I've got a '55 semaphore car. The paint color is reed green interior is tan fabric from Lenny. Now...

Would white walls have been an option? If so, what kind would be okay?

Are the wheels painted totally reed green, or should they have the white circle in them painted that white/cream color?

Are the VW emblems in the hub painted reed green or left chrome?

Thanks,

Taylor
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reed Green outer with Pearl White centers.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White walls are fine and like Glenn said......Pearl white inner hubs (if you have a deluxe) and black for the VW logo. (You could leave them chrome but most were painted at the dealers anyway.)
Greg Armendariz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: rim color Reply with quote

inner wheel color would be L-87 white
VDubMattStuart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What colors of early 50's years have exceptions to white in the center hub? Just curious, as my 53 has ruby red centers with the L35 hub that matches the car color.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, do you mean that your wheel has the CENTERS (the section where the hubcap snaps onto) in ruby red or the outer rim portion?

To start to answer your question, I think that standard Beetles (non-Deluxe) from that era had wheels which were fully painted in the car color. Color choices tended to be on the "drab" side, like grey and dark blue; the "Garwood" book "Car of the Century" would show the details.

I also remember seeing a beige oval from the mid-'50's having factory-painted wheel centers that were much darker than the car color, like a "burnt orange" or "milk chocolate" brown, and the outer rims were a much lighter contrasting color- possibly the car color. Again, the Garwood book seems to have the best reliable info on such wheel paint schemes.
VDubMattStuart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture to describe what I am talking about on my car:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=249306

If you also go here on the Wolfsburg color charts, my color scheme is listed with ruby color wheels:
http://wolfsburgwest.com/colors/53l35.htm

These charts actually answered my question. I found them afterwards. Azur is matched with pastel red and other colors have variations as well a bit more subtle though. What you describe on the beige car, sounds like a reversal of the chesnut brown scheme. Maybe they mixed it up a little?
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt........The VW inside your hub cap should be painted Pearl White. '53s are lucky in that regard.........most other years get Black. Wink
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My former '62 ragtop was painted Anthracite Grey. It's wheel colors had a very different color combination. The outer was Sand Beige and the inner hub was Slate. Yes, they were original paint and original to the car.
VDubMattStuart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
Matt........The VW inside your hub cap should be painted Pearl White. '53s are lucky in that regard.........most other years get Black. Wink

I'll have to change it then when the time comes, although I like the black with my paint scheme…

All of the caps are german, but one of them I put on the car myself. I colored in the VW with a sharpie for the time being to match the others. (shhh. don't tell anyone Wink )
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pics of your Reed Green 55?
EnzoRocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=263838[/img]

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=263837[/img]

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=263836[/img]

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=263835[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that's going to be a beautiful car when it's done...

I love it....

Where'd ya get that interior? WCC?

Awesome....

Did you mix that paint to the PPG code? Who mixed it up for you? Single stage?

Nice job man... Really...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Enzo, that car is gorgeous. That's also the color of my early 56 rag project which I will probably not get going on again for years.
According to my Bob Wilson book, our wheel rims are supposed to be Reed Green with pearl white centers. This was a very good question, as a number of color combinations from that same time period use a third color on the rim (for example, a coral red car is supposed to have L74 "Rusty Brown" wheel rims. An L240 Agave Green car is supposed to have L247 "Pine Green" rims.

I don't know that the Wilson book is gospel, I'm just passing along what it says.

Chris
EnzoRocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually the glasurit 22 line single stage. I'm going to be doing the gas tank in the original L29 blue grey glasurit 22 line too. WCC did the interior and I've got the rear pillows for it. I've got BFGoodrich 2 1/4" whitewalls for it.

Once I get the wheels painted, tank painted and tires mounted I'm done!!!!

I was lucky to find a an engine (1-1000234) for it...perfect for the car. The only things not original in the car as far as it know are the windshield, generator (I've got an original one), bumpers, lower front hood latch, starter and I think that's it. I got a strap air cleaner for $75 and remanufactured one of the latches (it was broken off). I've got a 6V starter, but don't know if it's a '55.

Anyway, I can't wait to get it on the road...

Just out of curiosity, what do you think it would fetch? Hopefully if I ever decide to sell it I can break even.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what it would be worth done. It's bone stock, top notch cloth interior, great paint in a wonderful color, best of everything in a very desirable year.
Gary Constantine (Brezelworks) sold a very similar sunroof Reed Green '56 to a museum in Canada a few years ago, I believe. He might have some insight into what your car would be worth in today's market.

It is tough to get your money out of any of these projects. Our two owner Westy, for example, could be sold for a very slight profit when finished, but only if the value of my time is set at zero. Because I know I will not ever sell that bus, my goal is not to profit but simply to avoid wasting money.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though we are getting off the subject of wheel paint schemes, that green '55 of Enzo's has alot of great 1955 parts: ribbed doors, egg taillights, no exhaust cutouts in the apron, semaphores, and the overrider bumpers. I bet one can narrow down the production month quite easily just on this combination of features.
jroymcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a question about wheel paint schemes.

what color would the wheels have been on a 57 polar silver with red leather? color, solid or two tone, center of the caps painted?
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outter wheel = Polar Silver
Inner hub = Pearl White
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jroymcd wrote:
got a question about wheel paint schemes.

what color would the wheels have been on a 57 polar silver with red leather? color, solid or two tone, center of the caps painted?

In my lit., I have Polar Silver from 1st April 1956, had L87 Pearl white centers and L328 Steel Grey outer rims.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: