Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinion of an 82 Diesel Westy?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnnieD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Opinion of an 82 Diesel Westy? Reply with quote

I can't handle much more bad news about the diesel engine. I would like to burn 'veggie'. I know people are doing it, but with what engine? At what cost? Can anyone keep this vanagon running?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slower than death. Razz

Been here?

http://www.greasecar.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGTSV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of Bad news are you having with the Diesel??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
AnnieD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Bad News Reply with quote

Most everyone I talk to about this engine say It was a bum deal from the beginning. VW only made Diesel Vanagon for two years because the engine couldn't pull the wieght. Now I can't get anyone to work on it and eveyone says even if you rebuild it will blow again. What I understand is I need to get a new 1.9 N/A engine (I'm not exactly sure what that is) for about $3000. I'm really wondering if anyone has had any sucess with the deisel Vanagon before I invest in this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be easier to find someone to work on a diesel that a gas waterboxer. The diesel is basically a Rabbit engine. The parts shold be pretty reasonable.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this explanation of diesel power on an ebay listing:

General things you need to know. The VW diesel vanagon was the slowest vehicle EVER sold in the US duing the last 30 years. Think of a mo-ped in terms of power and speed. So, before you start dreaming of converting to bio-diesel and getting 80 mpg while passing unenlightened masses in their smoggy gas power cars, get over it RIGHT NOW ,ain't gunna happen. The engine top speed is reached at about 72 MPH. It is a rare day indeed where these will get much over 60 on the level. Hills? These things INVENT hills! YOU WILL BE A ROAD BLOCK and people tend to wave with less than a full hand when they go blasting past you. 25 in a 55 zone when going up a slight grade is not uncommon. Of the ones I've owned, it was normal to get 26-28 with the camper and about 30 with the basic van. The EPA is 29 mpg
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased an 82' diesel Westy with a brand new stock motor. I purchased it from the previous original owner who was very anal about changing oil/filter and services. He got 27-28 mi/gal religiously for 20 years. He also got 325,000 miles out of the original motor! He told me he never used the specially formulated diesel motor oil (Delo?) he just used SAE 20W40 and then later SAE 20W50. I purchased this car for the same reason you did...to run biodiesel and/or waste vegetable oil (WVO). As a high school chemistry teacher, I am using this car as a 'mobile' laboratory. My students are going to test emissions using biodiesel, diesel #2, and waste vegetable oil. They are also going to do a cost analysis (both financially and environmentally) on running each of these fuel systems. When we get to Organic Chemistry at the end of the year, my students are also going to make their own biodiesel and test different manufacturing conditions. The objective is obviously to find out which alternative fuel is best in terms of environmental, economic, and processing techniques. If you would like I can update you during the experimental process. A similar test was done on the East Coast which you can find
P.S. Everyone is exactly correct about the speed….if you don’t mind driving 60mph on the freeway Go For It!

Helpful Links I have found regarding biodiesel:
http://www.greasecar.com/
http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/mainpage/
http://www.noendpress.com/caleb/biodiesel/index.php
BIGTSV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slow thing is correct about a diesel Vanagon, However if maintained and not abused it will last a long time. the VW diesel motor is very durable and reaching 250000 miles on a stock motor is not uncommon.

Replace the timng belt every 60,000 miles and change the oil and do not rev it to the moon and they last.

An inline VW gas motor will bolt in using all your current mounts and pan and will give you 90 to 115 HP. Defeats the Bio Diesel purpose but is another route to take.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
samstallings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember when the speed limit was 55? that was do to a fuel shortage. now that we are running low on fuel we might see the limit drop again. perfect for diesel westy folks. i put a 1.9 td in mine and it drives all over the country now. it did what i thought was ok with the 1.6. allthough it did blow two head gaskets and the block cracked. around election time last year this conservative crown vic guy was riding my ass. he was so pissed buy the time he passed me it looked like he was going to have a heart attack. i miss those times. bottom line, do not ask too much from this car. and to you annie, get the 1.9 td if you can swing it, not the 1.9 na.

Last edited by samstallings on Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnnieD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. Keep me posted on the biodeisel discoveries.
detter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought:
I bought an '82 diesel Westy that the PO had beat to death. I replaced the na 1.6 liter with a rebuilt 1988 Turbo Jetta diesel 1.6... Other than lowering the engine mounts 1.5 inches and installing a honda accord air breather to fit. The beast works like a charm. No more down shifting in fact once I am in high gear I can cruise through most towns without needing to shift at all.
Still in all I am limited by the diesel gearing to less than stellar speeds, but hey I'm getting 35+ mpg Cdn at 55 which is where life begins. going slower that is... My installation cost was $4,000.00 Cdn complete and worth every penny. In fact one day after 370+ miles traveling in the praries (flater than a pancake) with a 20mph tail wind I broke 43 mpg Cdn. running at 2900 rpm. indicated. That worked out to 8.44 cents per mile. Ya gotta love it.
Wayland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you guys are all used to driving sports cars or something........my stock Diesel Van w/ a 5spd was no slower than an aircooled 1600 bus; not bad at all. I've since put a 1.6 TD in it and it accellerates faster, but the top speed is still 65 mph because of the low gearing.........it all depends what you are used to. I probably wouldn't take the van on a cross country trip, but it's just fine for week-long 1500mile jaunts. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: