Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1943, 1944, 1945 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackdog1999 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
blackdog1999 wrote:
BulletBus wrote:
And remember, it wasn't that long ago when one could pick up just about any split bus for a couple hundred bucks and drive it home. That made it easy experiment. Poor little guy.... Sad

????? Any split Bus for a couple hundred & drive it home. ???????

That has not been the case since the 1980's.

Last one I drove home was 1994, but it was $300. And it was a scary drive. Last $200 bus I bought was within the last decade, though.

The $200 Bus you bought was able to be driven home?

Almost, but not quite. It had sat for just a little too long.
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$200 running buses are so plentiful.........god i love this thread
Vintagespeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one from you about 7 years ago, remember Laughing you paid a few hundred, I still got a good deal tho and she's still running strong Wink

got offers in the 20s now, but she's a keeper...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
$200 running buses are so plentiful.........god i love this thread

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, eh?
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$350k, I would step up and buy the 54 pre A cab for $365k. Even though both will not loose value. The porsche would be a blast to drive!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 47, and the mid 90's doesn't seem that long ago to me. And although I didn't buy many drivers for a couple hundred, I did get plenty for less than a thousand. The list is long and distinguished.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
$350k, I would step up and buy the 54 pre A cab for $365k. Even though both will not loose value. The porsche would be a blast to drive!

I would be sorta wary thinking that neither will lose value. History repeats and it has happened with the muscle car market, old guitars, the list goes on. Major surge in values, bunch of "investors" jump on the bandwagon, bottom falls out, original owners can buy their stuff back for pennies on the dollar.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio_Style wrote:
mr white wrote:

I would be sorta wary thinking that neither will lose value. History repeats and it has happened with the muscle car market, old guitars, the list goes on. Major surge in values, bunch of "investors" jump on the bandwagon, bottom falls out, original owners can buy their stuff back for pennies on the dollar.

Not likely to happen when the market is international and multigenerational which is the case with buses and old Porsches.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio_Style wrote:
mr white wrote:

You're bound to lose value if you pay $350k for a bus.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Breckskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Ohio_Style wrote:
mr white wrote:

I would be sorta wary thinking that neither will lose value. , original owners can buy their stuff back for pennies on the dollar.

Not likely to happen when the market is international and multigenerational which is the case with buses and old Porsches.

While $350k might not be the right price today, I do see prices of the Split windows rising for years and years… a lot of younger folks see that vehicle as an icon. They want one and can't afford it until they hit a mid life crisis. So, get the one you want now and enjoy it!
67 912(911.5 Outlaw build spring 2015), 90 C4Cab. Formerly: 59 DD, 78 SuperB, 81 911Cab, 82Vanagon, 81Vana & other German / US stuff..
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spookymulder wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1674731
How many wrong things on this wrongstored "show quality" turd? I'll start the ball rolling with a half dozen offensive observations of note:
1) Bug wheels not bus, radial tires, no logos on hubcaps
2) Pop outs are wrong direction and there are eight of them
3) Wrong seats and wrong grab bar on middle seat, heat pressed seams not sewn seams
4) No arm rests or rear deluxe cargo bar on back seat or brackets to hold seat back up
5) No rear carpet or vinyl material over gas filler neck, no coat hooks
6) Wrong ancillaries on engine, ie: carb, air cleaner, distributor, voltage regulator, fresh air tube clamps etc.
Was it even a 23 window deluxre to start with, or a converted panel? No vent trim holes in the rear louvers, no cargo rocker spears, no bumper trim. OK, let's build a list and hopefully this clown will go back to building "tribute Camaros" and leave the bus scene to bus people.

Relisted today... For $70k more!!
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you read hotrod forums like i do sometimes they all have theories when the bottom will fall out of classic cars. the best one is when all the 70 and 60 year old guys die off and stop reliving there youth. we are only stuck with Generation X to fill the gap on classic cars because Gen Y really doesn't care about classic cars and probably never will. i'm not saying all of them but most of them don't care unless it's a honda civic SI or something like that and has AC and a radio. They have programs or promotions like "bring your kids to the car show", or an under 21 class at the show that the kids have restored. Beside over 90% of people in the US can't drive a stick.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
spookymulder wrote:
How many wrong things on this wrongstored "show quality" turd? I'll start the ball rolling with a half dozen offensive observations of note:
3) Wrong seats and wrong grab bar on middle seat, heat pressed seams not sewn seams
4) No arm rests or rear deluxe cargo bar on back seat or brackets to hold seat back up
6) Wrong ancillaries on engine, ie: carb, air cleaner, distributor, voltage regulator, fresh air tube clamps etc.
Was it even a 23 window deluxre to start with, or a converted panel? No vent trim holes in the rear louvers, no cargo rocker spears, no bumper trim. OK, let's build a list and hopefully this clown will go back to building "tribute Camaros" and leave the bus scene to bus people.

Weird, he changed the price yesterday then deleted it.

I don't think the price was actually raised, I think he just did that before removing it for whatever reason.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:
When you read hotrod forums like i do sometimes they all have theories when the bottom will fall out of classic cars. the best one is when all the 70 and 60 year old guys die off and stop reliving there youth. we are only stuck with Generation X to fill the gap on classic cars because Gen Y really doesn't care about classic cars and probably never will. i'm not saying all of them but most of them don't care unless it's a honda civic SI or something like that and has AC and a radio. They have programs or promotions like "bring your kids to the car show", or an under 21 class at the show that the kids have restored. Beside over 90% of people in the US can't drive a stick.

(Apologies for the thread drift) Judging by how excited both my pre-teen nephews are about split screens, I think there is an ongoing market unlike that for most classics, hotrods etc. They don't care what model of split screen, it's something about the 'face'.

I have a feeling that there is something about that shape in particular that appeals to little kids in a way that hotrods/muscle cars, model Ts etc can't. Eventually they will grow up and have money to spend on the things they wanted when they were little too.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
GTV wrote:
spookymulder wrote:

I don't think the price was actually raised, I think he just did that before removing it for whatever reason.

It still shows as active for $169k on my iPhone ebay app.. Anyway, doesn't matter, it isn't worth half of that (at least to critical eyes).
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
EverettB wrote:
GTV wrote:
spookymulder wrote:

It still shows as active for $169k on my iPhone ebay app.. Anyway, doesn't matter, it isn't worth half of that (at least to critical eyes).

What does your iPhone eBay App have to do with a Bus listed on this site?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Nsqback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
EverettB wrote:
GTV wrote:
spookymulder wrote:
Was it even a 23 window deluxre to start with, or a converted panel? No
vent trim holes in the rear louvers, no cargo rocker spears, no bumper trim. OK, let's build a list and hopefully this clown will go back to building "tribute Camaros" and leave the bus scene to bus people.

It hard to say what it's worth or what it will sell for but lets face it how many buses is the guy with "critical eyes" out there REALLY buying ...

IMO most if not all the buses that are selling for 100k + are selling to guys who could give a RATS ASS about door screws and most of the other stuff on the long list of "wrong" or "incorrect" stuff with most of these "high end" buses I think most of the guys buying them just want to drive around in a shinny cool bus and show it to there buddy's Smile

I'm Trying to help you.......but you don't hear me...
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Nsqback wrote:

It hard to say what it's worth or what it will sell for but lets face it how many buses is the guy with "critical eyes" out there REALLY buying ...

IMO most if not all the buses that are selling for 100k + are selling to guys who could give a RATS ASS about door screws and most of the other stuff on the long list of "wrong" or "incorrect" stuff with most of these "high end" buses I think most of the guys buying them just want to drive around in a shinny cool bus and show it to there buddy's Smile

Most likely, that and people who think they are going to accrue value. It's my opinion that anyone who buys a vehicle as a long term investment and not to enjoy is insane. Exceptions would be stuff like VW38 and the like, vehicles that there were only a handful made and that have serious historical lineage.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Nsqback wrote:
GTV wrote:
EverettB wrote:
GTV wrote:
spookymulder wrote:
Was it even a 23 window deluxre to start with, or a converted panel? No
vent trim holes in the rear louvers, no cargo rocker spears, no bumper trim. OK, let's build a list and hopefully this clown will go back to building "tribute Camaros" and leave the bus scene to bus people.

Agreed 100%...Most people who drop over 100k on a bus are not bus officianado's. Just people with a whole lot more $$ to play with then most of us. To people who are worth billions buying a 100 or 200k toy is like most of us putting new tires on our car. true bus perverts want to seek them out and find them for a good price and then do our own mods.
Breckskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

(Apologies for the thread drift) Judging by how excited both my pre-teen nephews are about split screens, I think there is an ongoing market unlike that for most classics, hotrods etc. They don't care what model of split screen, it's something about the 'face'.

I have a feeling that there is something about that shape in particular that appeals to little kids in a way that hotrods/muscle cars, model Ts etc can't. Eventually they will grow up and have money to spend on the things they wanted when they were little too.

Totally agree! My 2, 4, & 6 yr old love em. They have character that a 63 Corvette doesn't. Not many will go to scrap nowadays, that's the fun part.
67 912(911.5 Outlaw build spring 2015), 90 C4Cab. Formerly: 59 DD, 78 SuperB, 81 911Cab, 82Vanagon, 81Vana & other German / US stuff..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1943, 1944, 1945 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 1944 of 2710

Jump to: