Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2181, 2182, 2183 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
Sh*tBird wrote:
A '56 thirteen window kombi. Never seen this style before today.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1950623

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like a Brazilian bus. I am pretty sure we can dig up more 11 window Brazilian buses with corner windows. Also appears the front cargo door is barndoor like Brazil used. Would be a good candidate for a full 15 window conversion... I just opened the ad, it is in Brazil.

It appears to be a German vin plate and an early dash. I would bet it is a German bus with corner windows added at a later date.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:
Moosehead3333 wrote:
Wut ?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1951113

#3 on that list.. Turkis 1966 double door 21? I'm calling BS for sure on it being the real deal.

I think it's the yellow one, wasn't that bus for sale on the east coast a few years back? I think it may well be a genuine doubledoor, although I remember some people being confused about the door handle indent or lack thereof on one pair of cargo doors. Maybe it was close to the transition. I forget what the m-code plate decoded as, or if that was even disclosed in the original ad. I think the bus needed a lot of rust repair, so I'm sure that was taken into consideration on what it was priced for as a done bus.
so if it was pre indent are you saying its a 1964? If so that would jive with turkis as the color. But the year stated 1966 it doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
55samba wrote:
Sh*tBird wrote:
A '56 thirteen window kombi. Never seen this style before today.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1950623

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like a Brazilian bus. I am pretty sure we can dig up more 11 window Brazilian buses with corner windows. Also appears the front cargo door is barndoor like Brazil used. Would be a good candidate for a full 15 window conversion... I just opened the ad, it is in Brazil.

It appears to be a German vin plate and an early dash. I would bet it is a German bus with corner windows added at a later date.

When did Brazil start building them from "kits". I think that is what they did but it is just form memory. I would agree the windows were likely added but I have seen more than one like this. I wonder if during the "kit" build they used deluxe rear corners?
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I would say the 1956 bus is pieced together later in life from a real german bus and a brazilian bus. Look at the weld accross the battery tray. And the crescent moon on the rear hatch, Something never offered by vw in 1956 anywhere. But early brazilian busses did have the pointed dash pods thru like 66?
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

why do all this work and not go the extra half block to get it looking correct.
1966 converted to look like an early 15 window, they went thru and put early doglegs, outtie vents, early rear wheel openings, but no rocker, vent or bumper trim, no jail bars, late push button doors, 1967 gas flap no heater tube or splash pan, interior, bug wheels. so close but missed it with small details after doing major detail changes.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1951411
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
chris henry wrote:
Moosehead3333 wrote:
Wut ?

I don't think people are paying 150k even for a nicely restored correct 23 window these days. i could be wrong though. some of these people have deep pocket buyers with lots of rich buddies

People who spend and sell belles for that kind of money don't generally broadcast what they got for them. One poor auction sale doesn't mean the market has fallen out....

I don't agree, I think since the boom on 23 windows, the market has been flooded with nice restored 23's real and fake that the market price is down. Probably 90 percent of nicely restored busses on the market are real of fake 23's. On the other hand since the market isn't flooded with nicely restored non 23 windows, so value is up on those. Same thing happened with muscle cars of the late 60's early 70's. next boom will be shorty panels and jersey lookers Wink I recently listed one and got tons of emails and actually sold it for more than asking. People don't like seeing the same old thing in every auction.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

And the winner is................ Its relative! Yeah.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
chris henry wrote:
Moosehead3333 wrote:
Wut ?

I don't think people are paying 150k even for a nicely restored correct 23 window these days. i could be wrong though. some of these people have deep pocket buyers with lots of rich buddies

People who spend and sell belles for that kind of money don't generally broadcast what they got for them. One poor auction sale doesn't mean the market has fallen out....

How about when someone posts 5 buses in the 100K range with one ad? Writing is on the wall, the market has fallen out.

(It doesn't help me to post this, as I'm trying to sell buses, but my buses have been well under market price forever, it should hurt the people wanting stupid money for their buses).

Also proof, 507 buses for sale, is this the most ever? Lots of reasonably priced buses up for sale now too. The overpriced junk should sit forever now. Also the Brazilian/S. Am buses are flooding up here and that's killing the market (I think that's a good thing too).

In other news; water is wet.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

333 buses on Samba in USA for sale... spread it out... on average (for rough perspective) ... about 7 per state.
Still seems like slim pickins if you're looking for something specific in your driving radius.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
333 buses on Samba in USA for sale... spread it out... on average (for rough perspective) ... about 7 per state.
Still seems like slim pickins if you're looking for something specific in your driving radius.

Yeah, I did a few searches setting dollar parameters and there isn't much there for under $30k that isn't a turd, a project or a less desirable model of bus. Market falling out does not mean deluxes selling for "just" $80k.

I do agree wth Dawerks that big money buyers are much more selective now that there are a lot more options than a few years ago since so many non VW people got into the business of restoring buses and the bevy of fakes out there. But correctly and nicely done buses are still hard to find and you would think are going for strong money.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Good points.

And for some people (Bryce, et al... cough, cough)... driving radius is pretty wide.
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1950927

Looks like I can forget about the og RSR Fuchs I had in mind for my bus. Sad
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Part of it may be the people that are left holding the bag of an "investment" that is worth considerably less than it was a short time ago. It's understandable... I would argue the market is stable if I was trying to sell something that's worth $50,000 less than it was 5 years ago.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

BulletBus wrote:

Looks like I can forget about the og RSR Fuchs I had in mind for my bus. :(

Those sizes have always been super expensive.

Wonder what the mortgage payment on that deck is? $17,500/month?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
BulletBus wrote:

I was curious what that would be so maybe others are too.

$17,500/month on a 30 year mortgage is a $3.75M house

Although I doubt someone with that kind of house puts zero down so probably more like $4.5M.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
campingbox wrote:
BulletBus wrote:

Looks like I can forget about the og RSR Fuchs I had in mind for my bus. :(

I was curious what that would be so maybe others are too.

$17,500/month on a 30 year mortgage is a $3.75M house

Although I doubt someone with that kind of house puts zero down so probably more like $4.5M.

The Zillow ap tells me 4.5 is probably not enough for a house with a deck like that in that zip code. Maybe a condo. That deck does look small, so $17,500 might be about right.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Part of it may be the people that are left holding the bag of an "investment" that is worth considerably less than it was a short time ago. It's understandable... I would argue the market is stable if I was trying to sell something that's worth $50,000 less than it was 5 years ago.

One could also argue that the idea that the market has collapsed is being made by people who want to get into a split or upgrade.
Granted it is all conjecture either way, the only people who probably really know are those who sell buses for a living and deal with high end buyers.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
One could also argue that the idea that the market has collapsed is being made by people who want to get into a split or upgrade.
Granted it is all conjecture either way, the only people who probably really know are those who sell buses for a living and deal with high end buyers.

I wish the market would collapse.

In reality, there are many markets. Shiny buses, suvivor buses, patina buses, utter pile-o-shit project buses, etc. Each category has its own following. People here seem look to the high end shiny buses as the direction of the market, but the market for those buses is not generally people who hang out here in the forums or in the swap meet at VW shows.

I honestly don't know what split buses are worth anymore. I do know that people love to complain.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Hey! You started this thread!

In other news; buses are still selling.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

BulletBus wrote:

Back in the 90 ' s I bought a set for 1500; sold them in 2001 for 5000
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2181, 2182, 2183 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2182 of 2710

Jump to: