Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2205, 2206, 2207 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
TDIvan wrote:
I'd hate to think how many innocent naugas were killed to make that interior.

My first split bus had a diamond patterned naugahyde interior in gold and red. And a demure light blue exterior. I sold it for $700 and they drove it cross country to Maryland.

Any guesses on the date of that? Or anyone find it?

i would love to see a picture of that. diamond stitch is one of my faves

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Cuņado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I remember seeing this DC for sale also back in 2010. My whine is after 6yrs maybe seller would lower the price or update pics and or ad, try another tack?
Not trying to bust guys balls or anything.
I do have to give it to him for not giving up though.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1385779

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe

Last edited by Cuņado Wear on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
21junkstreet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I hate hate HATE deluxe trim on single and double cabs.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Quote:
Lots of chrome but not too much

I beg to differ.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDIvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Pat, you beat me to it.
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
DonKombi wrote:
thom wrote:
$1900 for a 36hp engine of unknown provenance?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1942283

Maybe a bit high.......But at least the owner took a YouTube video of it running.

What do you think that engine is worth?

I think we are just getting too old. The days of our youth where we could find complete running engines for $100-$300 seem to be gone...... Very Happy

I bought a running one about a year ago that was comparable to that. I offered $80 but dude held firm at $100

Sweet deal. Let me know when you want to double your money. I guess I must be at the wrong end of California in regards to cheap VW parts. Very Happy
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

DonKombi wrote:
thom wrote:

Maybe a bit high.......But at least the owner took a YouTube video of it running.

From personal experience, I know that just because it runs doesn't mean it's any good. Years ago, I tore down batch of core 36hp engines that someone gave me: of the 7 or 8 cores, only 2 of the cases were usable; they had defects that were not fixable by align boring or thrust cutting.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

thom wrote:
DonKombi wrote:
thom wrote:

From personal experience, I know that just because it runs doesn't mean it's any good. Years ago, I tore down batch of core 36hp engines that someone gave me: of the 7 or 8 cores, only 2 of the cases were usable; they had defects that were not fixable by align boring or thrust cutting.
Curious what types of defects the cases had that could not be fixed?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
thom wrote:
DonKombi wrote:
thom wrote:

Anything can be fixed it jus this no economical if it is a run of the mill case as there are plenty out there.good core cases can be had for under $100 all day long. If the pulley end is beat up or there is rot on the case or the cam bores are shot that is all a death sentence for most 36 cases.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:

I've had them rot out at the sump hole, cracked webs, cracks between the engine mounting holes and crank (from being lazy and not installing all 4 bolts), banged up pulley ends - among others. Some defects are very subtle, some are glaringly obvious. This is why I cringe when I see bare, weathered cases for sale for hundreds of dollars. Sure, it's an early case, but it's a pig in a poke.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:

When you pick your engine up to remove it from the cargo area and this falls off, you know the matching numbers case won't be rebuildable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by cdennisg on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

thom wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

I've had them rot out at the sump hole, cracked webs, cracks between the engine mounting holes and crank (from being lazy and not installing all 4 bolts), banged up pulley ends - among others. Some defects are very subtle, some are glaringly obvious. This is why I cringe when I see bare, weathered cases for sale for hundreds of dollars. Sure, it's an early case, but it's a pig in a poke.

Just found out my motor has a crack in the case below the oil cooler. No it was not the oil cooler seals causing that leak. Case is junk. Just drove on it to Yakima and back.

A $100 running motor is a real good deal.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

When you pick your engine up to remove it from the cargo area and this falls off, you know the matching numbers case won't be rebuildable.

Sad trombone sound....

chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
thom wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

Just found out my motor has a crack in the case below the oil cooler. No it was not the oil cooler seals causing that leak. Case is junk. Just drove on it to Yakima and back.

A $100 running motor is a real good deal.

I have fixed ones that were cracked along the oil cooler mount many times. just have to be a good welder
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

[quote="DonKombi"]
chris henry wrote:
DonKombi wrote:
thom wrote:

What do you think that engine is worth?

I think we are just getting too old. The days of our youth where we could find complete running engines for $100-$300 seem to be gone...... Very Happy

I bought a running one about a year ago that was comparable to that. I offered $80 but dude held firm at $100[/quote

Sweet deal. Let me know when you want to double your money. I guess I must be at the wrong end of California in regards to cheap VW parts. Very Happy

It's currently resides in my 52 bug and it cruises down the road at 70 mph no problem... yes you are definitely on the wrong end of CA for cheap VW parts. You can buy a bus bumper at Sacramento BOR for $100 and re sell it at octo for $250.
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Any idea why this bus is so much? The logos are hardly even there anymore.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1910752
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1974572

1964 21 Window Deluxe Van***This is our beloved bus "Opal" She received a full Concourse Restoration by Lenny Copp's West Coast Classics in California. This van was painstakingly restored in 2014 to a museum quality specimen that baffles the mind. This is a flawless piece of restored history that words can't describe. This van drives better than it did when it left the factory. The Interior, Exterior, and Undercarriage down to the last stitch is returned to like new condition. The engine and transmission was brought to "0" time overhauled and new standards. $119,000.00 / Best Offer.

i am baffled that something so flawless could have so many visibly incorrect parts on the engine....

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1974572

1964 21 Window Deluxe Van***This is our beloved bus "Opal" She received a full Concourse Restoration by Lenny Copp's West Coast Classics in California. This van was painstakingly restored in 2014 to a museum quality specimen that baffles the mind. This is a flawless piece of restored history that words can't describe. This van drives better than it did when it left the factory. The Interior, Exterior, and Undercarriage down to the last stitch is returned to like new condition. The engine and transmission was brought to "0" time overhauled and new standards. $119,000.00 / Best Offer.

i am baffled that something so flawless could have so many visibly incorrect parts on the engine....

Bus looks pretty nice to me.

One other issue that jumped out at me is below...

The middle seat fold-down is weird.
This Bus

versus my original seat in my '64

Also notice '64 should have a chrome-lipped drink tray. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

When an ad say the bus is perfect resto that is an invite to nitpick.

A couple things in addition to what Everett said.
-it has 66-67 flippers on the front doors, should be the longer handles
-dash and bulkhead grab handles should have black ends, not white.
-headliner missing on rear hatch?
-headliner should be ice blue, but I don't think that colour is available? Could have been dyed, maybe? An ice blue headliner really pops with a como green interior.
-rims should be white, not green and white

nice bus, though
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Cuņado Wear wrote:
I remember seeing this DC for sale also back in 2010. My whine is after 6yrs maybe seller would lower the price or update pics and or ad, try another tack?
Not trying to bust guys balls or anything.
I do have to give it to him for not giving up though.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1385779

Restoring it back to stock height would help a lot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2205, 2206, 2207 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2206 of 2710

Jump to: