Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2031, 2032, 2033 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarzan271 wrote:
richierich wrote:
tarzan271 wrote:
richierich wrote:
thom wrote:
117harv wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1792609

Am I the only one who thinks it is utterly, completely retarded to name cars?

Nope. It's more than retarded.

Isn't it more of an English thing? When I lived there, it seemed every bus was named. But I agree, it is retarded.

Nobody I know names their Volkswagens but some folk evidently do. The less 'hardcore' types maybe. I guess I could understand it if they've got children or whatever.

You guys also call them camper vans even if they aren't campers. I think my time spent on SSVC turned me sour.

Yes - 'camper' or 'van' regardless of number of windows or lack of crockery in the interior is a pet hate of mine.
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: yeah Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
chris henry wrote:
Sh*tBird wrote:
chris henry wrote:
sounds like a great candidate for a Brazilian bus to me.

That is what I was thinking at first. Then remembered some of us were not born in a bus...

If you can believe the internet, this person is in my town so there is a chance we will cross paths. I need more Bus Nerds in my life and I will gently push for German...

I wasn't born in a bus...I was however conceived in a 1960 swr kombi Very Happy
I get people coming to me all the time " My teenage daughter wants a vw bus sooo bad", my responce: " Are you effen crazy? Why would you even consider putting her in a vw bus? do you want her dead? " Buy her a new honda civic and put the leftover money in a retirement account for her" People get soo caught up in the image and they have no idea what it's like to actually go down the highway in a 60 year old bus Shocked

It makes me wonder how any young people get into VWs these days. Me, I always wanted a bug when I was a little kid. Then I got a bay window bus when I was a teenager. I learned to tune it up because... I don't know, cause that's the thing to do. Then I learned more work on it because the mechanic ripped me off.
Then I got a split bus. Everyone told me they were unsafe and tipped over really easily. They always broke down. They were too slow. Blah blah blah.

But they were so cool. I ignored the naysayers. I loved the metal dash, and the way it drove like an old truck and the art deco styling. By the time I got a split bus I had a group of friends with VWs, and had found a shop in town I could go to for good advice. There was a support network in person. The split needed more work than the bay did. The tires went flat. The main seal leaked..... A friend showed me how to pull the motor and change the seal.
These people named their VWs. in America!

No one bought me a bus, I had a job and bought it. I put myself in a VW bus. My Dad did give me a (used)(hand held) toolbox with (hand me down) wrenches and screwdrivers and sockets, though. Smile My friends had 'tune-up parties'. Mira, one of the owners of the natural food store, gave me a 3/4 inch drive slide bar and a 36mm socket from when she'd had an old bus. Smile Very useful. Still have them. Ellen (who had a Jeepster) taught me to keep a clean oil drain pan and look for tell tale material when I drain the old oil.
Will this girl have positive and constructive support from the community, or a bunch of asshat old guys posting rude pictures and making her feel unwelcome?
Can she think in three dimensions and work out how a bus works and how to keep it going?
Do kids these days know how to drive a stick?
Is she going to get a welder? The buses are all rusty these days. Don't the Brits just buy a welder and fix up a crusty bus? Anymore, that's what you have to do with all the buses. Unless you pay more for one that's been welded.

Only time will tell if the latest "it would be so cool" person has the stuff to drive an old VW bus or not.
...though it's not like the people in this forum actually all drive buses. Wink

Well said Clara. My oldest daughter is 11. She has grown up riding in either a 61 double cab or a, and currently a 53 barndoor. His name is Winston by the way. Named by the children of the previous owner. My daughter wants to learn how to drive in the bus and then have her own one day. I have never given that a second thought. That's what she will have and drive every day like her dad does. It's just what we do. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dont see it in todays youth. They all want it now and they want some one else to do the work so they can stand by it and look good. I think the novelty of it would wear off quickly. Not everybody has the patience that it takes to drive a bus.those of us that grew up with busses love them. i cant get enough. I was born into buses.I have pictures from when I was 9 months old with my head in the engine compartment of my dads 56 single cab. I got my first one at 12 years old and rebuilt the engine when I was 13. Of my 4 kids only one has shown interest in vw's. I have never tried to force it on them. My children are not me. I think there are a few teenagers out there that will carry the type 2 torch. Most will jump in their new hondas and punch their destination into the gps and go on their merry way. it's a different ( faster paced ) world we live in today
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sinklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
I just dont see it in todays youth. They all want it now and they want some one else to do the work so they can stand by it and look good. I think the novelty of it would wear off quickly. Not everybody has the patience that it takes to drive a bus.those of us that grew up with busses love them. i cant get enough. I was born into buses.I have pictures from when I was 9 months old with my head in the engine compartment of my dads 56 single cab. I got my first one at 12 years old and rebuilt the engine when I was 13. Of my 4 kids only one has shown interest in vw's. I have never tried to force it on them. My children are not me. I think there are a few teenagers out there that will carry the type 2 torch. Most will jump in their new hondas and punch their destination into the gps and go on their merry way. it's a different ( faster paced ) world we live in today

You know what hasn't changed over the generations? Every youthful generation has had the older generation say esstienaly what you just said. "Kids these days... (Insert anything)".
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't name my cars, but i do think of them as he's and she's. I bought a 55 oval once, the previous owner had named it "julchen". so julchen it was, it was just part of her history.

I do believe there will be a time when you can leave a stick in the parking lot and people will not be able to drive it away to steal it...

children will do what we model for them, or the exact opposite, not worried about the future of car nuts

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
tarzan271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grudge wrote:
chris henry wrote:

You know what hasn't changed over the generations? Every youthful generation has had the older generation say esstienaly what you just said. "Kids these days... (Insert anything)".

I think my generation is blaming everything on the Boomers. They screwed their kids and grandkids. Kids these days are a direct reflection of the Boomers destroying our country.

As for VW's, I think the kids of today will not be drawn to them like we are. They are loud, slow, uncomfortable, and require constant maintenance. At a recent, small car show, my 26 year old friend was most impressed by a 1990 300ZX. It didn't impress me at all, but ended up winning peoples choice. I think the next generation will like fast and flashy more.
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarzan271 wrote:
The Grudge wrote:
chris henry wrote:

I think my generation is blaming everything on the Boomers. They screwed their kids and grandkids. Kids these days are a direct reflection of the Boomers destroying our country.

As for VW's, I think the kids of today will not be drawn to them like we are. They are loud, slow, uncomfortable, and require constant maintenance. At a recent, small car show, my 26 year old friend was most impressed by a 1990 300ZX. It didn't impress me at all, but ended up winning peoples choice. I think the next generation will like fast and flashy more.

Agree for the majority of the generationals. I am 19, and I am the exception. Sadly, my parents wouldn't let me get a bus, but if I want one I must learn and make connections (hence why I have an account). My daily is a 94 del sol, and although it is not quick, it is fun! Smile also they are easy to work on (similar to vw) and if treated right will last forever. That being said, I am one of many generationals that would droll over a factory 6v westfalia camper and never let it go! Please acknowledge that we are still around, just a rare species! Very Happy
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt the interest is there. I am approached by young people ( teens eairly 20's) daily with questions and positive comments about my bus. Will that interest spark passion? will that interest facilitate the the sacrifice that goes with driving an old slow bus? This will remain to be seen. Hopefully in 40 years these truly unique and usefull cars are more popular then they are today
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarzan271 wrote:
The Grudge wrote:
chris henry wrote:

"Fast and flashy" my ass. 15 years old and honestly spend most weekends working on my bus. Believe it or not, the bone stock, points powered 1600dp is plenty for me! But Tarzan, I understand what you're saying. Its all the rich businessmen who want buses because they look pretty, and its only 21's, not even friggin 23's. I still think that a bus bench is more comfortable than a new toyota seat... Damn they suck! Laughing
But, to be realistic, I think what you said is almost 100% true except for the loud part of it. All the a-holes who think "stance" and glass packs are cool need to look at what vws have been doing for 30 years. I enjoy changing the oil and adjusting the points, and Im happiest in the garage.

I digress Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFred wrote:
tarzan271 wrote:
The Grudge wrote:
chris henry wrote:

Agree for the majority of the generationals. I am 19, and I am the exception. Sadly, my parents wouldn't let me get a bus, but if I want one I must learn and make connections (hence why I have an account). My daily is a 94 del sol, and although it is not quick, it is fun! Smile also they are easy to work on (similar to vw) and if treated right will last forever. That being said, I am one of many generationals that would droll over a factory 6v westfalia camper and never let it go! Please acknowledge that we are still around, just a rare species! Very Happy

DAMN RIGHT!!!!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I would consider myself in the bottom end of this generation as I'm 28, I've been into AC VW's since I was very young. Worked construction over the summer when I was 14 and that fall bought my '66 bug out of an Albuquerque junk yard. Cool Everyone my age at the time was all into there hondas, nissans, and so on. Rolling Eyes I'll admit air cooled vw's aren't my only hobby cars, but they are by far the most important part of my stable.

I agree though that the bulk of my generation is very superficial when it comes to everything in life. So an old vw bug or bus might look cool to them, but the majority don't have the patience or passion to really love an old vw. They're the ones that take a clean og paint bug or bus and hack it up and maaco it to make it "look cool".

There are a few of us young guys out there but the young community is getting smaller every day.

1966 Bug Bahama Blue(my first car)
1958 Euro Bug
1962 Pearl White Bug
1970 Fastback Clementine
1966 Fastback VW Blue
1970 Fastback Diamond Blue
1967 Bug
1963 VW Variant
1963 Karmann Ghia Ruby Red
1969 VW Variant
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjbtsi wrote:
I agree though that the bulk of my generation is very superficial when it comes to everything in life. So an old vw bug or bus might look cool to them, but the majority don't have the patience or passion to really love an old vw. They're the ones that take a clean og paint bug or bus and hack it up and maaco it to make it "look cool". .

I don't believe it's just any current generation, in any decade there's the crowd who gets off thier ass to achive or aquire what they want in a vehicle, those who get daddy to buy it for them, and those who ride public transit. The current one definitely is used to (spoiled by?) instant results because of the technology available now, waiting for weeks for a manual or part to come in the mail is a foreign concept that they just can't grasp.

Good for you young guys/gals who are keeping the hobby alive, not everything in life is some cheap Chinese made POS accessory of the moment that's engineered to be disposable when you get bored in 6 months or less.

Now all of you GET OFF OF MY LAWN!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The high prices are more likely to discourage youngsters from buses than anything else.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
The high prices are more likely to discourage youngsters from buses than anything else.

Sadly yes Sad I hope to find someone in the future that sees my general love and can give me the deal of a lifetime so that I can love it and pass it on to another enthusiast Very Happy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

Indeed, a few generations ago used buses were priced like used Hondas are now, maybe in 20-30 years there will be Honda stock Nazis digging the OJ patina'd one owner Accords and Civics in rare colors and option levels?
Different mass produced cheap vehicle, same situation.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Indeed, a few generations ago used buses were priced like used Hondas are now, maybe in 20-30 years there will be Honda stock Nazis digging the OJ patina'd one owner Accords and Civics in rare colors and option levels?

Try to find a nice clean 90-91 Civic SI or CRX. GOOD LUCK!

These cars used to go for $500-1000 all day long, now they are impossible to find and easily fetch 5-6K(!). Look at low mileage Miatas, just insane. Lancer Evolutions have near doubled in price for clean ones.

Bus prices are not outrageous, they are inline with car prices increasing across the board.

Try to find a nice Mustang Coupe 5.0L or a VW Thing. I know bus guys are the biggest price whiners but there's a ton of cars that have gone up in price.

Bus prices are actually deflating compared to some other genres. Look at 964's, they're almost doubled in 2 years.
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

These cars used to go for $500-1000 all day long, now they are impossible to find and easily fetch 5-6K(!). Look at low mileage Miatas, just insane. Lancer Evolutions have near doubled in price for clean ones.

Bus prices are not outrageous, they are inline with car prices increasing across the board.

Try to find a nice Mustang Coupe 5.0L or a VW Thing. I know bus guys are the biggest price whiners but there's a ton of cars that have gone up in price.

Bus prices are actually deflating compared to some other genres. Look at 964's, they're almost doubled in 2 years.

My del sol doubled in 6 months Shocked
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Here you can get them all day long for under $2000. Maybe I should start flipping them to Canada.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wait until electrics catch on (my bet is 5 yrs most will be running them)......it will change everything,then new laws,mandates.......the days of driving outdated vintage cars is numbered and for good reason........go enjoy the day or moment,drive your garbage...um "treasure"?

the next gen will collect only the most special versions and only for parade or museum type situations........gonna be interesting to watch for sure
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
just wait until electrics catch on (my bet is 5 yrs most will be running them)......it will change everything,then new laws,mandates.......the days of driving outdated vintage cars is numbered and for good reason........go enjoy the day or moment,drive your garbage...um "treasure"?

the next gen will collect only the most special versions and only for parade or museum type situations........gonna be interesting to watch for sure

while i like a good argument about as much as the next guy....

dino fuel will be around a long time, it is still good business.

vintage cars can learn many tricks that will help them keep up with modern exhaust regulations. Catalytic converters for our buses and other vintage cars have been around since the 80s. I have driven buses with catalytic converters added to them, they drove great and had clean exhaust.

personally, i think that daily driver splits and bugs are going away fast simply because new cars are so much more capable, reliable, comfortable, and last but not least, cheap..... and, yes, they can be easily replaced with other ones....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2031, 2032, 2033 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2032 of 2710

Jump to: