Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2192, 2193, 2194 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
dmuis wrote:
That 3 position "humpback" seat started Oct 27/1960, and low hinge cargo doors started Dec 29/1960, 61 model year.

Cuņado Wear wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1882482
I'm not sure if this is in correct forum so please forgive me if it isn't.
Having just picking up a 60' double cab myself I'm now trying to learn everything I can about them.
1. add says early 61' but low hinge on passenger door?
2. front seat adjustment. I've been told that is a 62' only option?
I'm not trying to blast guys ad in any way, just trying to learn like I said earlier.
Thanks for help.

First, yes it's fine to ask questions like that here in regards to someone's ad.

Yes, the seat is considered 1961-62.

Now for my whines:
I don't know if I would call that an "early" '61 Double Cab.
I'm not sure when that truck was built but I consider the "early" '61s to be like my 8/60 Truck where it has the earlier style 58-60 non-hump front seat and is still high hinge.
I'm not trying to be elitist here... I think of it more as a correction thing because a lot of people think of low hinge and hump seat when they hear 1961 and "early" 61s don't have those features.
Maybe flat front door handle areas too... these Truck has the later indented front door handle mounting points.

This looks like a pretty nice truck overall.
The seat material with the white piping is not '61 style but was used for 63-64 (I think I have that year span right)
The ad says "There are no overspray on nuts and bolts".
True I think but this photo bugs me:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I see overspray on the latch and a loose screw and a missing screw there.
Easy fixes probably...
The cargo door latch is wrong for a '61, 61s don't have the locking tab:

Again, easy to swap out if you find an earlier one.
Some screws are missing there too

There are some other cosmetic things too and "wrong for late 61" items

Multiple Edits: Typos + I kept seeing more stuff wrong

The big item that bugs me about this truck is the vents on the rear drivers side look like they are about 25% as long as they should be. I am not sure if it is just a weird photo, but the passenger side vents look fine.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Holy mackerel- I didn't notice that- but it's clear to see in other angles. Crazy corner repair? Why on earth? What would block the need for full length vents from the inside?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
The big item that bugs me about this truck is the vents on the rear drivers side look like they are about 25% as long as they should be. I am not sure if it is just a weird photo, but the passenger side vents look fine.

This whines thread is the best one. Seriously on point.
Props for ronjon. Seems obvious, but I completely missed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDIvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Weren't the switch to low hinge and the indent around the front door handles done at the same time? I had a non-indent passenger door on a low hinge bus years ago (the wrong door) and the cargo door would hit the door handle before the rubber bumpers contacted each other.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Ev-If there was a seat for passengers in the cargo area there had to be a way to lock/unlock the door from the inside.
Also, the rear mat is some weirdly cut up full-size cargo mat. If you are going to hack up a mat, why not make it look more like what is supposed to be there?

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
Ev-If there was a seat for passengers in the cargo area there had to be a way to lock/unlock the door from the inside.
Also, the rear mat is some weirdly cut up full-size cargo mat. If you are going to hack up a mat, why not make it look more like what is supposed to be there?

This makes sense but the interior lock wasn't added until later, for 1962
July 31, 1961 VIN # 802986

It doesn't lock or unlock the exterior handle either, it just allows you to lock yourself inside so the exterior handle won't turn.

My 61 DC, no lock

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

There's a circular thing on the dogleg in that photo. It doesn't look like a drain hole to me. My Single Cab has a flat rubber buffer on the driver's side exactly like that.

I thought a previous owner had added it to mine to stop the (dropped) driver's door scraping on the dogleg, but this double cab has one too on the passenger side. I haven't been able to find one in the parts manuals anywhere and haven't seen them in any other photos. Is it a VW part?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
cru62 wrote:

It doesn't lock or unlock the exterior handle either, it just allows you to lock yourself inside so the exterior handle won't turn.

My 61 DC, no lock

Well, that explains it. My 10-61 DC had the inside lock.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

TDIvan wrote:
Weren't the switch to low hinge and the indent around the front door handles done at the same time? I had a non-indent passenger door on a low hinge bus years ago (the wrong door) and the cargo door would hit the door handle before the rubber bumpers contacted each other.

Yes, the door handle recess started when low hinge started, at 705 620.

The VIN on the truck is 745127 according to the add. Feb 1961.

It is normal for that VIN to have that door, low hinge cargo door and a humpseat. The piping is not stock on the front seat.
I consider a humpseat 61-62, but very early 61 buildt in 60 don't have it.
Just don't get too stuck on year, as many many many changes were made other than at year changes.

That truck has allen fasteners in places where phillips would be stock.
The inner door handles should be like on the red truck.
front door escutcheons are missing
There is a slug or something above the rear window.
67 rear view mirror
custom dome light on air vent cover.
wiper arms but no blades.
overspray on high beam switch
heater tube in cab not painted white like cab.
pop out outer seal missing on cargo door
Rear mat is a cut down bus mat not a DC mat.
They should take the plug off the dogleg drain hole and leave it open. Hose it out from time to time to wash where the sun don't shine.
I like over-riders on bumpers. Too bad they are missing.
I'm not in favor of the speaker in the spare tire well with holes drilled through the bulkhead and visible seat belt mounts.
The cargo door mech is incorrect, but is actually more valuable that the correct version. That is really easy to change out. These can go bad and get changed out, and would not be make or break on my decision to buy or not.

I could put that all down to mild customization and it's mostly easy to change.

I do think it's a decent truck, though 'excellent attention to detail' may be pushing it. Or maybe he was talking about door gaps and body work and I just shouldn't think that means details to a stock resto.

The left vents are way too short.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
cru62 wrote:

My 61 DC, no lock

we learned to slide across to the passenger side door to let people into the back. much better than running around the bus Smile

early crewcabs definitely have their idiosyncrasies

ever opened the back door, reached in to unlock the passenger door and slide across the seat? fastest way to get 6 people into an early crewcab

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
EverettB wrote:
cru62 wrote:

My 61 DC, no lock

we learned to slide across to the passenger side door to let people into the back. much better than running around the bus Smile

early crewcabs definitely have their idiosyncrasies

ever opened the back door, reached in to unlock the passenger door and slide across the seat? fastest way to get 6 people into an early crewcab

I do that all the time if I am doing something in the back and need to open my front passenger door because it's locked.
For any Bus. Or Truck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1964064

Yowza. Actual seats would be nice for that price.
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

BulletBus wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1964064

Yowza. Actual seats would be nice for that price.

Convenient that the seller has already converted the sales price into USD's...
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I see this bus isn't listed on this site, probably doesn't want to be called out as a Brazilian bus for German money.
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/5750903663.html
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
I see this bus isn't listed on this site, probably doesn't want to be called out as a Brazilian bus for German money.

I never knew Chip Foose overhauled a bus for Dean Martin.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Is this a joke??

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1964513
luca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
Is this a joke??

no .... just time to separate brazil buses from the german buses in the classifieds ....

I am at the point where I hardly want to own anything that isn't mango.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

luca wrote:
dawerks wrote:
Is this a joke??

no .... just time to separate brazil buses from the german buses in the classifieds ....
I don't know, sounds pretty funny to me Laughing

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:

It's gotta be worth that much, it has Porch paint!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
Is this a joke??

Buyer is responsible for shipping
and
Vehicle located in Brazil.

So basically he wants $29k to tell you where the bus is?

First there was the driveway flip, then the leave-it-on-the-trailer flip; now we have the leave-it-in-the-country-of-origin flip. What's next?
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2192, 2193, 2194 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2193 of 2710

Jump to: