Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut)
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

Tried a search of the forum but came up blank...

I'm in the depths of a complete mechanical overhaul of my April '64 SO33 Westy and my rear drums are beyond spec - well-worn ridge around the edge, pits, and several lug bolt holes are buggered beyond my liking even after cleaning them up with a tap.

I didn't do too deep of a dive, but I noticed so far that Rock Auto lists new drums, and CIP1 has maybe 3 different variations of new rear big-nut drums to pick from?

Wondering if there's any consensus out there on if any of these options are worth a shit?

(My front end is getting a TypeE disk upgrade so I'm good there)

thanks all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BruceFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

I just bought new rear drums from WW. I dont have very many miles on them, but they seem like good quality. Machine work was nice, good tight fit on the axle shaft, nice finish on the brake surface; id buy them again.
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

BruceFD wrote:
I just bought new rear drums from WW. I dont have very many miles on them, but they seem like good quality. Machine work was nice, good tight fit on the axle shaft, nice finish on the brake surface; id buy them again.

Thanks - I was on their page yesterday and could not find them.. went looking again after your post... I guess they're only listed under "Rear Axle" and not "Brakes" for some reason!

Link for those also looking:
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211501615E
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

Turk.380 wrote:

Thanks - I was on their page yesterday and could not find them.. went looking again after your post... I guess they're only listed under "Rear Axle" and not "Brakes" for some reason!

Only way to fit the wheels to the axles is by having the drums. VW in the original parts manuals list them that way. Type 2 and type 1 parts manuals and a lot more need to know VW info here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Just the exploded diagrams are worth the time to view. You can also do WW searches for VW parts by using the parts numbers in the VW parts manuals. For instance the rear drum part number add VW before it, for "VW 211501615" or put in dashes instead of the spaces Vw used "VW 211-501-615". Do leave off the letter suffix to keep things simpler, then look for the results with the "E".

Keep in mind about every nine digit VW part number:

A. That the very first digit is what model of VW the part was originally designed for. Lots of type 1 parts on the type 2s, some type 2 and 3 parts were used in the type 1. Other parts are only used on that type of VW and no other.

B. 2nd and 3rd digits are the model the part was originally designed for. Some parts are ONLY for that model. Others were later fitted to all VW models.

C. 4th digit tells you which section/chapter of the parts manual the part is found in.

D. The 5th thru 9th digits are the actual part number.

E. Letter suffix means it is an improved part over the last part without letter suffix, or as each letter ( A, B, C, D, etc.) is used the later letter means some change has been made. Sometimes each later part can be used directly in the same area, some can not without replacing other parts around it.

F. If you know a part is RH or LH ONLY, you can tell by the last digit of the part number which side it goes on. an even digit then the part is RH, odd digit and the part is LH. Easiest way to remember this is that a LH drive VW has to have at least the driver, so one person, which is an odd digit. A VW with one driver and one passenger is two people, so an even digit.
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

I have two rear Bus brake drums. The number is 211501615 B..
They are like new. They came with a baja project but did not fit because of the large snout. We went with adapters to get our wide 5 pattern.
Are these drums the same as 211501615 E ?
I would like to sell them as they were only used to make the baja project a roller but I am not sure what they fit.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

tgodber wrote:
I have two rear Bus brake drums. The number is 211501615 B..
They are like new. They came with a baja project but did not fit because of the large snout. We went with adapters to get our wide 5 pattern.
Are these drums the same as 211501615 E ?
I would like to sell them as they were only used to make the baja project a roller but I am not sure what they fit.
Thanks

Interesting, the parts manual only shows A, D, & E parts suffixes. Always wondered what happened to the B, & C suffixes.....

Does the "B" drums fit onto the type 1 splined axles?? The "E" model will not, due to the bigger spline of the stub axle.
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

The drums are marked ( Frum) which are made in Brazil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those are 211501615 B
Do those fit the same as the E part number?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

tgodber wrote:

Those are 211501615 B
Do those fit the same as the E part number?

Eric&Barb wrote:

Does the "B" drums fit onto the type 1 splined axles?? The "E" model will not, due to the bigger spline of the stub axle.

Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

I remember 211 501 615 B being '63 one ton option drums, should be small axle (36mm axle nut) and fit bigger rear brakes.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
I remember 211 501 615 B being '63 one ton option drums, should be small axle (36mm axle nut) and fit bigger rear brakes.

That would be the "D" suffix part.
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

They are definitely large spline, large nut drums.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

tgodber wrote:
They are definitely large spline, large nut drums.

Might measure and compare to the "E" suffix.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657839&highlight=brake+drum+differences

Still would think that VW of Brazil did the "B" suffix for a reason. You need to talk to someone with much Brazilian bus experience or at least a complete type 2 parts manual from that country.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New / Repro Rear brake drums (Big Nut) Reply with quote

Whatever they are Frum is a high quality maker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: