Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle cable sticky
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Throttle cable sticky Reply with quote

1960 15 win bus, stock 36hp engine. Had it for about 15 yrs, just started noticing gas pedal doesn't return upon deceleration. I have to tap it to return to full idle. not much, so not worried about wear or a stretched cable. Any ideas? lubrication?

Thanks in advance,
Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable sticky Reply with quote

Definitely lubrication after inspecting the front and back attaching areas for problems.

If you used grease to install that can get sticky after a while. Might need to remove the cable to regrease it up.

Same happened in our 1960 walk thru panel camper conversion with the choke and reserve tap cables. Both of those have a much tighter fitting bowden sheath about them. Got to the point that the reserve tap was almost not functional. Took up applying a drop or two of 10/30 WT oil to each at the 3,000 mile tune ups,and that has made a big difference.

Since the throttle cable has a much looser fit in the tube it needs less lubrication and the grease works better there.

Also could be your throttle cable is cutting into the nose of the transaxle. VW originally had a wire bracket to avoid that. We went with the later throttle bowden tube with custom shortening. Bowden tube helps to keep out dirt/dust/water from getting into the body tube.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400171&highlight=accelerator+bowden+tube

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable sticky Reply with quote

Thank You!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable sticky Reply with quote

Glad to help!

Whenever we check the engine oil level tend to use the dipstick to oil up the throttle linkage parts on the carb.

Hmm, maybe you would convert this thread into all about your 1960 bus??
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable sticky Reply with quote

The accelerator cable in my 66 kombi is a bit sticky, sometimes needs some help returning. It has some miles on since we started striving it in 2008, and been down some dusty dirty roads.
Odds are that it needs a cleaning. And re greasing.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable sticky Reply with quote

If it's a solid cable; they can get kinked if misshandled and stick in the tube as well.

I've pinched my solid cable a few times between the bulkhead and the tinware during installation and kinked it. Pliers to straighten and lube fix it.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable sticky Reply with quote

Do you have the spring (part #23) in this pic installed?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10209455#10209455

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro

Last edited by don.ville on Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable sticky Reply with quote

I also learned from experience on my 67 (which has a return spring on the carb) that when I attach the throttle cable to the carb, do not pull the cable while tightening the barrel nut at the carburetor.
Let the throttle cable relax while tightening the bolt

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: