Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

parts storage
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajabusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: parts storage Reply with quote

when I remove stock parts to save what is the best way to store

drums/rotors
manifolds Carbs (should I remove jets etc)
brake master and wheel cylinders alway seem to rust
once exposed to brake fluid
blocks
alloy rims

I assume there are some coating sprays like LPS3 or some thing

every time I clean up my work area I end up throwing out things I ment to save but did not store well

PS I live the 3rd house from the beach, moisture and salt..
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: parts storage Reply with quote

bajabusdoc wrote:
when I remove stock parts to save what is the best way to store

drums/rotors
manifolds Carbs (should I remove jets etc)
brake master and wheel cylinders alway seem to rust
once exposed to brake fluid
blocks
alloy rims

I assume there are some coating sprays like LPS3 or some thing

every time I clean up my work area I end up throwing out things I ment to save but did not store well

PS I live the 3rd house from the beach, moisture and salt..
Move to the desert. We don't have much of a moisture problem here in Idaho. Very Happy
I've never worried about drums and rotors. Up here, they get a little surface rust, but nothing to worry about.
I always clean carbs/brake cylinders and that type of item with carb and/or brake cleaner. You don't want gas sitting in the carb as it will gum it all up and make it a pain later. I have several brake parts that are sitting in rubbermaid containers inside of a squareback parked in the back yard. No rusting on it at all. It's been there a couple years. I've never used any kind of coating spray, but since they used cosmoline from the factory, I assume if you could find a spray that something like cosmoline, it would help preserve things.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OttovonEmden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a pair of drums in my squareback in the trunk up front for ballast. But they were covered with surface rust to begin with.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean everything and then coat it with a cosmoline spray. I get mine from CarQuest. For engine parts, just leave them oily and store in a dry location.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajabusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to all,
excellent advise, cosmoline spray will come off with carb cleaner. I am going though my carb/manifold box this weekend will put in old ammo cans after
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: