Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Koni shocks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
insyncro wrote:
All but one settled on 2 rotations after driving the van for a minimum of 500 miles.

This is where I have mine set.

edit:

Kombi///M3 wrote:
I have Konis with weitec on my 2wd 7 seater.
I dialed the Konis to max stiff ride and it doesn't
nose dive. I like the way it rides.

Also you guys(gals) the Koni's are only REBOUND adjustable. You are not changing the compression.

yup.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

All but one settled on 2 rotations after driving the van for a minimum of 500 miles.

Got my Koni front and rears from VC this week. The Koni install guide online refers to up to five 1/2 turns clockwise. By 2 rotations, do you mean two 1/2 turns?

Last edited by singler3360 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
Got my Koni front and rears from VC this week. The Koni install guide online refers to up to five 1/2 turns clockwise. By 2 rotations, do you mean two 1/2 turns?

1 rotation = 360 deg.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:

1 rotation = 360 deg.

2 rotations = 720 deg. = four 1/2 turns = stiff(er). Was this the preferred setting on all 4 corners?

Thanks, just trying to get an idea of where I should start based on the experience you noted.
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Konis are 0.5 turns out on the front and the rear at 0.75 turns out. And when I say turns out, I mean that the adjuster (shock body) is turned in gently (clockwise) just until the needle is bottomed out, and then the adjuster is turned out (counter clockwise) the specified number of turns.

More turns out means LESS rebound damping.

I have stiffer springs than stock (Moog 5660 front, Slam bags on rear) so keep this in mind, but it should be a useful data point.

Last edited by presslab on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:

2 rotations = 720 deg. = four 1/2 turns = stiff(er).

CORRECTION:
2 rotations = 720 deg. = four 1/2 turns = SOFTER
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
singler3360 wrote:

CORRECTION:

No, 4.5 turns is maximum stiffness.
http://www.koni.com/193.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
singler3360 wrote:
singler3360 wrote:

CORRECTION:

Really, it depends on whether you are measuring turns IN or turns OUT. I prefer to use turns OUT, as that to me is a more repeatable adjustment. Koni's instructions reference turns IN.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
911pickup wrote:
singler3360 wrote:
singler3360 wrote:

CORRECTION:

Really, it depends on whether you are measuring turns IN or turns OUT. I prefer to use turns OUT, as that to me is a more repeatable adjustment. Koni's instructions reference turns IN.

Do you think we are talking the same thing, only the reference is different? If you are holding the bottom of the shock stationary and turning the dust cover (rears), then clockwise increases stiffness. On the fronts, if the rod is held in place with a vice, then turning the bottom body of the shock counter-clockwise increases stiffness.

Nice day here today so I Just installed the rear shocks. Very easy. The maximum turns to stiffness was 4 half-turns, so I set them at 2 half-turns, or 360 deg or one rotation. I hope this is what is meant by Peter at VC and others as "2 turns". We drive washboard frequently on trips, so a slightly softer setting is preferred. My driveway is not level, but it appears the Konis lifted the back by ~1" to 16" with stock springs. Very Happy Now the van is nose down slightly and I really want to get the fronts on tomorrow (if it's not pouring rain).

If my thinking on this is off and I'm just not getting it, someone please correct my posts so that I can adjust them soon. I'm thinking of setting the fronts to 1 half-turn from max. stiffness (4 out of 5 half-turns counterclockwise).
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360,

I have 4 new Koni shocks in hand and wonder about the initial setting too.

My goal is a ride my family can live with. 1990 Multivan with stock springs.

Traditionally we always set Konis either total soft or 1 full turn (360) for the many sets we put in various cars over the decades. But, never a Vanagon.

So my initial thought is to go 1 turn from the bottom or hardest setting. We always set them hard and back out. Only way to get repeatable results just as Presslab states earily on here.

So did your shocks settle in?

TIA,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out whether I am going to Koni for my van..

Anyone in Seattle area care to take me for a ride?

Smile
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
singler3360,

I have 4 new Koni shocks in hand and wonder about the initial setting too.

My goal is a ride my family can live with. 1990 Multivan with stock springs.

Traditionally we always set Konis either total soft or 1 full turn (360) for the many sets we put in various cars over the decades. But, never a Vanagon.

So my initial thought is to go 1 turn from the bottom or hardest setting. We always set them hard and back out. Only way to get repeatable results just as Presslab states earily on here.

So did your shocks settle in?

TIA,
Walt...

I haven't had a chase to remeasure ride height, but the I think they have settled in. At one full rotation (360 deg) on the rears with stock Westy not loaded for a trip ( no rooftop box, water, gear, etc), the ride feels slightly too stiff on asphalt. Backing off a 1/4 turn might be good but I don't want to change until we have a loaded trip on dirt.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
I haven't had a chase to remeasure ride height, but the I think they have settled in. At one full rotation (360 deg) on the rears with stock Westy not loaded for a trip ( no rooftop box, water, gear, etc), the ride feels slightly too stiff on asphalt. Backing off a 1/4 turn might be good but I don't want to change until we have a loaded trip on dirt.

What about the front?

My van is lighter from the factory. I am thinking of a half turn or just full soft to start.

The front is the major area of concern (or the old shocks are the most worn in the front and do not have much, if any, rebound control - meaning I can modulate the front end bouncing with the brake pedal. The kids enjoy this play, but it is not good for driving.....read she who shall be obeyed hates the ride currently and I MUST make her happy.)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

What about the front?

I did one 1/2 turn on the front out of 5 for a stiffer ride and like it so far.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused by the Koni online instructions

Th sketch shows a shock with the main body at the bottom and the dust cover (rear) or rod (front) at the top and goes to say:

Quote:
1.Fully compress the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (anti-clockwise), until it is felt that the cams of the adjusting nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly (fig. 1).
NOTE: Some shock absorbers include a bump rubber concealed under the dust cover and this must be removed prior to adjusting. Don’t forget to re-install.
2.Keeping the shock absorber compressed make 1 full turn (360°) to the right (clockwise). The total range is about 5 half turns (fig. 2).
3.Extend the shock absorber vertically for at least 1 cm without turning in order to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

so, when you are done with step one above, are you at the stiffest or at the softest setting?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have previously adjusted the shock, they will be at the softest setting.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
so, when you are done with step one above, are you at the stiffest or at the softest setting?

Neither. You would have one turn more damping than when you started. It seems they forgot to say to turn counter-clockwise until the stop.

Fully counter-clockwise is fastest rebound (soft, less). Fully clockwise is slowest rebound (stiff, more).

I adjust mine a little different than the Koni instructions.

1. Compress shock fully.
2. Insert hex key in shock shaft (for the front), and turn clockwise while pushing down.
3. You'll feel the shaft drop down slightly, now you are engaged with the adjuster.
4. I turn the hex key clockwise until I feel it stop. Be gentle, don't force it into the stop, and slightly push down while turning.
5. Now turn counter-clockwise the amount desired for adjustment. This is where I deviate. The more turns counter-clockwise, the faster (softer, less) the rebound damping.

Currently I use 0.5 turns out in front and 0.75 in back. The desired rebound adjustment depends greatly on the spring rate. A stiffer spring needs more rebound damping, so my adjustment is appropriate for Moog 5660 in front and SS-6 bags in rear. Heavy wheels also need more rebound damping.

There is a big difference between 1 turn out and 0.5 turn.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone using these with GW 2wd lifting springs, without modifying anything?
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ryan,

I found a bit more detailed instructions here:

http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm

Quote:
Adjustment Procedure 76, 80, 82, 86, 87, 88, 90, 8040, 8240 Series

Rebound Adjustment Procedures

Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle and hold it vertically with the lower eye or pin attached in a vise. Use clamp plates to prevent damage.

Fully collapse the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (counterclockwise), until it is felt that the cams of the adjustment nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly.

Some shock absorbers include a bump rubber concealed under the dust cover and it must be removed prior to adjusting.

The damper may have already been adjusted. Therefore check whether the shock absorber is in the adjustment position or not by keeping it collapsed and gently turning it further to the left counting at the same time the half turns until a stop is felt. Stop turning then and do not use force.

Keeping the shock absorber collapsed, make 1 half turn (180 degrees) to the right (clockwise). In case of prior adjustment add the number of half the turns previously found. The total range is about 5 half turns.

Pull the shock absorber out vertically without turning for at least 1 cm to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

ADJUSTING DIRECTION

Clockwise = Firmer
Counter Clockwise = Softer

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presently, I have my front konis on a half turn (180 degrees) and my rear Konis on one full turn (360 degrees). The van feels good, and I don't plan on touching the setting again until I install my lowering springs and sway bars.
I don't mind taking my rear Konis off for an adjustment, but the fronts are a pain to take off just for an adjustment.
Ron
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: