Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just picked up a Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
yep, caravelle, same as your boy richie rich has (or had) the blue and the trim was a dead giveaway. nice bus

I guess since thats where i got it from had would be the term. Wink
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bus! My friend just picked up a bus almost just like that. Same color interior, hardware, cabinets, curtain rod cover, 64, etc. His bus was a pearl white panel as well originally. But his is a walkthru and is missing the fridge though. Do you have a close up of the bulkhead curtain rod at the end? His has a strange looking one. I will get some pics this weekend to compare. I saw it in the dark so I could'nt get any shots.

Where is the spot where they usually put that Caravelle sticker? Above the closet door?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was almost ready to say that it *might* be a Riviera, but Nid's picture sure seriously makes me say Caravelle! That armrest on the rear bench matches spot-on! The sticker's a sticker...maybe it's gone, maybe it was never put on. But that is one effin' sweet camper and my money's on Caravelle!

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
Erik G wrote:
yep, caravelle, same as your boy richie rich has (or had) the blue and the trim was a dead giveaway. nice bus

I guess since thats where i got it from had would be the term. Wink

I have looked that bus over very closely, it's pretty OG. Nice bus is an understatement.
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
I was almost ready to say that it *might* be a Riviera, but Nid's picture sure seriously makes me say Caravelle! That armrest on the rear bench matches spot-on! The sticker's a sticker...maybe it's gone, maybe it was never put on. But that is one effin' sweet camper and my money's on Caravelle!

-Taylor

Ive known since before i got the bus that it was a Caravelle. It still has the sticker. if you look at the pics i placed they all avoid right above the cabinet where the caravelle sticker is. It is indeed a Beautiful bus. I also have a Caravelle up in Oregon, so i have pleanty of parts that i hopefully will never need!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is this a carvalle interior in a 66 bus? either way, looks like a decent project bus for $400 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...AMEWA%3AIT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but it looks like a Riviera to me. Cool walkthrough, too. That's some nasty damage on the left side, but nothing that can't be fixed I'm sure. For that price I would jump on it.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikee wrote:
I would have been jealous if it was a bullet bus, But it is a vey clean bus

Bullet schmullet. Who cares? I actually like 64-67`s better anyway. Pre 62`s are cool and all but the later ones are so much more livable for everyday drivers.
62Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:

Ive known since before i got the bus that it was a Caravelle. It still has the sticker. if you look at the pics i placed they all avoid right above the cabinet where the caravelle sticker is. It is indeed a Beautiful bus. I also have a Caravelle up in Oregon, so i have pleanty of parts that i hopefully will never need!

I have a 64 Caravelle from a panel bench seat van. Do you know anymore info about these conversions or where I could find anymore info on these? Are they the least common or unknown, I know nothing about these. Yours looks in excellent condition, mine is not quite as nice, good score! I was thinking about gutting it out and getting it back to a panel. I will try and post some pics - thanks for any info
62Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

heres a picture of the sticker
62Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO ONE knows anything about these?? That sucks, everyone is stumped huh. Maybe Dmnclr will pass through?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this should be a Carravele as well according to some people that contacted me...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/1059784.jpg

I'm kinda confused, the model of the doors line up with a dicription of a carravele camper, the wood above the curtains on the left side also matches what is shown in one of the pic's in this tread but this bus has an overhead closset instead of a shelf... no tagg's in this bus.

I advertised it as a EZ camper, my mistake as it looked so similiars to a pristine 66' EZ camper I have, this EZ has the tagg's on the right side doglegg. . I also have a 3th US build camper whitch is also very similiar to the EZ but still some difference, so maybe I have a Carravele, an EZ and a Sundial?

Calling the experts now....
JHC member #16
ROADKILL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice sundial camper
lucky you
have fun with it
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
So this should be a Carravele as well according to some people that contacted me...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/1059784.jpg

I'm kinda confused, the model of the doors line up with a dicription of a carravele camper, the wood above the curtains on the left side also matches what is shown in one of the pic's in this tread but this bus has an overhead closset instead of a shelf... no tagg's in this bus.

I advertised it as a EZ camper, my mistake as it looked so similiars to a pristine 66' EZ camper I have, this EZ has the tagg's on the right side doglegg. . I also have a 3th US build camper whitch is also very similiar to the EZ but still some difference, so maybe I have a Carravele, an EZ and a Sundial?

Calling the experts now....
I have 2 caravelles that are both 64s, so maybe the cabinet up top instead of the shelf was an option or a later addition.! Looks identical to mine!
Pl@y@ #1
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I'm learning Wink

So now I'm pretty sure this 66' is also a EZ camper just like the white 66' walk trough EZ I have.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=258480

The 66' walktrough EZ:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=258475

Nice to have 3 campers in the lot now Cool
JHC member #16
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW campers rule. Cool
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st time I've seen this thread, but I tell you this is a nice bus. I got a chance to ride in it while out in CA. The engine gives me some hope for when my engine is done. Cool

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter ... why does this look so familiar?

I hadn't heard from you all winter. Glad to see the Bus made it. Some story eh? How have you been ... looks busy at your shop. Cheers ...

Dave
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My website is still down, but I have all the data if anyone needs anything in particular. The info I have states the John Nixon started up Caravelle Campers in Home Gardens, CA in 1960 after splitting off of his sister-in-laws EZ camper company. Later he renamed the company Sundial and moved the shop to an old skating rink in Edgemont.

Here is a link to the full brochure I got from John's son.

http://webpages.charter.net/badaugherty/pics/Caravelle.pdf
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the pics in the caravelle brochure are the same as in the Sundial one too. The people in the pictures are family members.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: