Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Salvage Yards, Going Extinct?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rain's Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Averys in Longview ,Wa to close in November!! Reply with quote

Averres wrote:
mike spadafora wrote:
I just stoped by Averys in Longview , Wa last week and Steve Avery told me they were in the process of selling the yard ... they have two dozen or more split busses , (most of which are pretty parted out), tuns of bugs and type 3's along with a few other air cooleds ...so another good mostly air cooled VW yard is going extinct Sad It is one of the last big vw only yards in the northwest . Steve told me he was going to clean out as much of the classic stuff and take it all home with him to sell over the net and swap meet but the salvage yard and actual buisness is going to be gone by this November. I was told they cannot make enough money anymore to stay in business not enough cars to part out anymore ether.
A new yard for late model non VW cars will take it's place ... all the fat chick bugs and late busses will get crushed... another reliable sorce of parts is going to be a memory... Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Just wanted to get everybody up to speed on the Averre's situation. The Property was sold to a domestic auto wrecker, but the inventory has been moved to a new location in Woodland, WA. We are now open for business at the new location: 1685 Schurman Way Woodland, WA 98674 Steve Averre has retired, but Toby and Jason are continuing on, along with the new owner, Todd Francis. We still have the same phone numbers: 360-425-1119 or 1-800-458-5852. We Will continue to carry a full stock of new and used parts for all air cooled vw's, Plus we have a new all indoor wrecking yard so that we can preserve these used parts and parts cars. We were able to save about 80 cars from the old yard, and we be actively buying more. Thanks for all of the years of support and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Thanks,
Toby and the Avery's Air Cooled crew.

Now that is good news!! great to here you guys are still dooing business I will have to stop through on my next run south and see how things look
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8fiero wrote:
at least nothing theres getting crushed!

Maybe not until he retires or dies. Meanwhile in Iowa everything is rusting back into the ground. Crying or Very sad At least he's got a good repair business going.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
v8fiero wrote:

Maybe not until he retires or dies. Meanwhile in Iowa everything is rusting back into the ground. Crying or Very sad .

Amen to that, brother. My 23 window is in a friend's steel outbuilding for the last 15 years. It gets worse every time I visit. It must be that dirt floor.
If a car has value, it has enough value to be inside. Otherwise, sell it and use the money to build a building. (BTW, I've never heard of this guy, about 100 miles south of me. Time to go for a drive?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry is going to be "thrilled" that he's being talked about in the split bus forums... Laughing

I don't know how well that yard is known nationally, but folks have been traveling long distances to visit there - at least sporadically - for the past 20 years or so, probably longer. I know of a handful of us in the forum that know about that place, but I'm sure there are many more scattered about. They'll chime in if they like I'm sure.

Top dollar offers will net you nothing though, a foreign concept to many. Imagine Tom-Tom's w/o the cats, but w/ lots of rust. I've got a lot of pics if folks want to see them, but I won't post them out of respect to Jerry (per his request), maybe I can host them somewhere else and email folks the link? The place is a trip...

I'm guessing v8fiero's days are done there though, Jerry's going to be pissed....lol.
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if a re-post. Blakes in CO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npYOklkOQMQ
danxthexman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing all of those buses have been picked to shreds by now?
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering if there are any yards in washington, oregon, or northern california that in your opinion are really worth driving out of your way to see? I will be driving down from b.c. this tuesday.

so far after reading this thread Avery's is sounding like the best bet? any better yards around?

just looking for odds and ends... door latchs.. gas tank... pre-61 front bench/ mounts.....
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Anyone ever go to John Chipps place in Delhi Ontario ? I went in '84, he had 300+ cars/ buses ect. Barndoors, Barndoor singlecab, Notchbacks, lots of 50's type 2, I checked it out in '01, mostly cleared out, a few BD left, really rusted. Paul/mynameismud checked it out in '04? but evreything was toast by then........
Heres a shot of a small part of his yard.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I drove by today and they were cleaning up the place some more. I saw that they had pulled a splitty out from the back field up to the road...likely to try and sell it. I did not stop to look at it but it seemed pretty rusty however it was on 4 wheels...

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol
Kelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krisbeetle wrote:
anyone?

Greg and Clara have been to them all, don't bother Wink Razz

j/k guys.. clara check your pm's once in a while Wink

Eriba Puck Sticky
Don's Bug Barn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Don's Bug Barn Athens,Texas Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get the word out that Don's Bug Barn in Athens,Texas is back in business and ready to sell everything we got. We are a salvage yard for early model VW's and parts. We also have a big selection of performance and drag racing parts. My father has been collecting VW's for over 30 years and we have over 200 cars and it all will be priced to sell. I will be posting ads soon for individual cars and we are planning a huge on site sale in the not too distant future. Until then feel free to drop me an email maybe I have what you're looking for. [email protected]

Dustin Carter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
dstefun wrote:
v8fiero wrote:

Maybe not until he retires or dies. Meanwhile in Iowa everything is rusting back into the ground. Crying or Very sad .

Amen to that, brother. My 23 window is in a friend's steel outbuilding for the last 15 years. It gets worse every time I visit. It must be that dirt floor.
If a car has value, it has enough value to be inside. Otherwise, sell it and use the money to build a building. (BTW, I've never heard of this guy, about 100 miles south of me. Time to go for a drive?
Al
man get to it, btw a car cover would actually help stave off the deterioration

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o] \m/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMazier wrote:
crukab wrote:
Anyone ever go to John Chipps place in Delhi Ontario ? I went in '84, he had 300+ cars/ buses ect. Barndoors, Barndoor singlecab, Notchbacks, lots of 50's type 2, I checked it out in '01, mostly cleared out, a few BD left, really rusted. Paul/mynameismud checked it out in '04? but evreything was toast by then........
Heres a shot of a small part of his yard.

I drove by today and they were cleaning up the place some more. I saw that they had pulled a splitty out from the back field up to the road...likely to try and sell it. I did not stop to look at it but it seemed pretty rusty however it was on 4 wheels...

This used to be one of the best for early stuff... farm is sold and everything was crushed unfortunately by a non-vw guy..... I save some of good stuff but I only had a week to get stuff out... I cringe at the thought of all the pre '57 VW stuff that is now being recycled....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok we are getting rid of a bus body... I'am not sure of the year, I as I remember it's a 56 ???? all I can realy say is it has bullet turn signals and the small rear window...

when we got it over 25 year ago it had been hit in the front and bondo'd ,,now the top has rust hole at the gutters..

between front and rear wheel wells it's rusted out big time. I'd say the rear quater sections are good on both side .. the side doors are good.. engine and rear hatches are good to ok... front doors are good for parts maybe fixable ,, no major rust holes ..

This is walk though .. we just took a quick look at it today,, it has 20 years wroth of parts inside ,, so I couldn't tell any thing about the floor

The title was sold years ago ,, but I noticed today the guy took the M code plate and not the ID plate ..LOL

engine and trans is gone,,, as is most the small parts ,, I do have two front bumpers,, one has the over riders.

The bus is half way between Eugene and Roseburg oregon ..

This bus along with about 9 or 10 single port heads ,, intake maniflods and fan housing are soon to be sent to china to be made into Empi , wal mart crap.... and caftsman tools.
Busser74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any yards here in British Columbia, Canada
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys no pics...but if you are looking for some serious beetle crap and some early busses...rt106 in toccoa georgia.was there today and theres 5 to 7 splits.still had parts on them and pretty rough but the owner wants to sell them.logoed panel too.an absolutely extreme yard.lots of stuff to look at.i bought nothing except a rear kick panel...5 bucks!go get them...

i wont say what else i stumbled across until it is in my in laws north carolina property...not a reall big deal but a definatly savable bus.

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
sorry guys no pics...but if you are looking for some serious beetle crap and some early busses...rt106 in toccoa georgia.was there today and theres 5 to 7 splits.still had parts on them and pretty rough but the owner wants to sell them.logoed panel too.an absolutely extreme yard.lots of stuff to look at.i bought nothing except a rear kick panel...5 bucks!go get them...

i wont say what else i stumbled across until it is in my in laws north carolina property...not a reall big deal but a definatly savable bus.

thats a big salvage yard in toccoa.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobby sellers right?not the domestic only one called means salvage

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on the right hand side of 106 heading back towards florida? about 10/15 acres of cars. ive driven by but never stopped to see if there were vw's there.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
glowplug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This yard in Toccoa... can you tell me if it has any decent sheetmetal on any of the buses? I'll be in Clemson saturday for the football game and could easily swing 45 mins out of the way to save some parts. I'm really tired of trying to fit aftermarket sheetmetal and could seriously use some OG stuff. Thanks.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95624
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: