Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Salvage Yards, Going Extinct?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busser74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any british columbianites here. Anybody know of any graveyards up here in BC, Canada been looking for a project split for like 5 years know Evil or Very Mad
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike that is not the one..it is on 106 heading out of town ,by all means not a very traveled road.and you will have to visit for yourself to determine wether or not the sheet metal is usable and even if the old boy that owns them will let you pull metal.i would say no to both but my opinion is diffferent than others...

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glowplug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll drag a trailer up there just in case. It's just kinda hard to find parking to tailgate with a trailer attached. We'll see. Thanks.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95624
Sugarbear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any yards in Florida????moving there this summer, and need another project i just finished my 70 bug, i am looking for a split window bug"specifically but split bus are cool too, anyways nice to meet you all peace
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mraz wrote:
Does anyone know of any yards in Florida????moving there this summer, and need another project i just finished my 70 bug, i am looking for a split window bug"specifically but split bus are cool too, anyways nice to meet you all peace

The only one I know of is Sunray Bugs on US 301 in Dade City. I havent been there in a year or more, but there were lots of aircooleds rusting into the ground. "Corky"(the quirky owner) seems to know every square millimeter of the property and what's on/in each vehicle. Lots of crusty parts, but I found a split case, non-synchro first gear tranny for my '56 bug and it worked great.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about any yards in California. The local pick your part only seems to have supers and they are stripped to the bone!!
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
How about any yards in California. The local pick your part only seems to have supers and they are stripped to the bone!!
Dust. Done. Picked clean. Cal. is the perfect clime for vultures. Bones are all thats left. Or will be soon... Or not. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:

I know that the Pick Your Part located in Sun Valley used to have an agreement with Memory Lane Vintage Salvage yard which was located right next door. The deal was that anything vintage pre-67 whether it be VW's or muscle car types would never even hit the public lot at Pick Your Part because the they were all sold to Memory Lane through contract. The same went for early classic pre-74 4X4's as well like Bronco's, Cherokee's, etc...

That is why it was rare to ever see any decent splits in the yard and only an occasional stripped out Bay window bus present. Keep in mind that yards like Pick Your Part or Pick A Part also own regional yards in CA and the same agreement was in place in at least 7 cities that I know of.

You would be better off with a time machine transporting you back to the days of Russ' Recycling Yard [late 80's early 90's] when Ed Economy was there parting out barndoor buses, Deluxe parts, etc... SoCal yards have been picked clean for years !
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still go to russ'. Mainly watercooled now though. I did see a CLEAN 60 body with both og aprons about to get cut up by a worker there, it made me and baby jesus cry Crying or Very sad

Memory lane moved far from sun valley and the few times Ive been to the new yard only one type III, fairly complete though. I LOVE THEIR STACK UP RACKS!! Thats what I need at my house for all the projects.

I will be moving up to nor cal soon, how about yards in oregon, nevada and even n. cal?
Sugarbear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally made it to Florida from this last post. i will make my way to the yard i bought a 72 bay window from Orlando & it is pretty bare on the inside.

~72 9 passenger bus
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Mraz wrote:

The only one I know of is Sunray Bugs on US 301 in Dade City. I havent been there in a year or more, but there were lots of aircooleds rusting into the ground. "Corky"(the quirky owner) seems to know every square millimeter of the property and what's on/in each vehicle. Lots of crusty parts, but I found a split case, non-synchro first gear tranny for my '56 bug and it worked great.

Sunray is still there, but it is degrading quickly. There are still a lot of good parts, but they are getting harder and harder to find. And yes, Corky does know every square millimeter.
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:

Continental VW Dismantling is located in Malaga which is in Fresno county. It's run by Abe Salvian and his son John. Abe helped start Brittsan Motors in the mid 1950's and has been in business since 1963.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great little yard in Sandy, OR- just north of Mt Hood. I think it's called Grant's. I picked a couple splittie-specific parts in the summer of 09. They had nearly 60 A/C VWs and more engines and pulled parts than I could count.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics from VWGIRL's old collection/salvage yard. You still got the Syncro Vanagon Lauren? Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...and one of VWGIRL rolling in her Mexi-beetle. Not any splitty bus pics but this thread is about VW junkyards right?

I bought my '65 Kombi in 1994, while parts hunting I found a junk yard near St. Augustine that had 3 splitties stacked on top of each other like dirty laundry. They were all in phenominal shape by today's standards. They were all en route to the crusher. Pulled a full set of jail bars out of one. Left a middle seat in a 15 window there. I had no idea. Rolling Eyes

I remember being in the market for my first car,16 years old in 1990, had $1200 burning a hole in my pocket. I was into the old american muscle then. I would look through the car trader and there were dozens of Chevy Novas, El Caminos, Baracudas, Trans AMs, Camaros, you name it pages and pages. I bought a '69 Malibu all original with 305 small block for $750. Those days are gone........... Crying or Very sad
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/user/werksberg

My "You Tube" location for videos of Interstate in Lake Elsinore, Ca., small car connection in Hesperia, Ca., and Blair & sons in Phoenix, AZ. (had lot more of Blairs, but my cheap HD digital camera crapped out and I didn't know...)

Plus some VW events too.....more when I can get to them.... Wink

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have the syncro and the mexi... The syncro is still not for sale Smile Most of the good vw parts yards I knew of are gone... And I dont buy them like I use to... I kind of miss that. I haven't bought a car in two years now... they seemed more plentiful in fl
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to say things are better here in Oz but they aren't.
There used to be a place up in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney that disappeared sometime in the last decade.
Brookvale Spares, a well known parts place, changed from wrecking yard to a spares business that basically strips cars and sells junk for scrap and they moved into warehouse with all the stuff carefully stored.
One wreckers in a small town about 3.5hrs south of Sydney who are famous for all sorts of classic cars from all over the world have been told to tidy up or close up.
Another place only an hour from me which is a veritable elephant's graveyard of air cooled VWs is in the same situation.
That is the choice many face.
With ecological and polution standards going up, occupational work and safety issues and local authorities wanting to stop oil and other vehicle fluids soaking into the soil they just won't let old cars sit and corrode.
There are still some odd little wreckers but many got rid of air cooled VW stuff and those with big spreads are slowly but surely having to thin it out.
There are some Pick & Pay Less places but you need to have eys like a hawk and they're only really good for later model parts you might want to use in an early model car.
Anyone with their own private stash is exactly that....future parts & projects of their own.
Makes me think I should be doing the same...... Neutral

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quiche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjosh6070 wrote:
there is a VW junkyard in alabama.

does any one know if this place is still around or any others? and how to get there from Birmingham?

=^~_~^= ZZZzzz... "wake me when the world is done with me"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: all- vw salvage Reply with quote

about 15 miles from my farm is an all-vw salvage...business is slow says the owner. i have bought many bodies and parts there, over the years, including all 6 rag tops, 2 1964 sunroof bugs, a part of an oval, a 1960 23 window bus( given to me as payment for splitting and stacking 3 cords of oak firewood for their stove) and a 1962 subhatch westy bare body fo fifty bucks in 2007.
like others, i depend on this place for cheap original parts...i often think, it won't be there forever and go to buy many many spares, even if i don't need them now.
There are no splitty busses left, only about 8 bays, but over 150 type 1s...the oldest being a 1958 and 2 1959s. They are well picked over, but well worth the 40 to fifty bucks for a car.

at home in my barn is the 1962 sub hatch...rear center...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice collection of buses there.
What happened to the Panel with the camper windows?

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: