Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

USB pigtail in glove box - late Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: USB pigtail in glove box - late Vanagon Reply with quote

I have been using USB adapter plugs in cigarette lighters for years in my van and other cars, finally got tired of trying to find the plug and needed additional charge points in the Dash for additional electronics while road tripping. Still using the cigarette lighter socket for power

While looking for USB plug options I learned about inline DC 12v/12 volt stepdown converters. I already had an unused always on power connection in the dash, a branch of the radio/map light/cigarette lighter circuit. The circuit is mapped out in Bentley on page 97.199 - it is a 3 pin connector floating around behind or underneath the radio.

I crimped a couple of male spades onto the USB converter and plugged them into the T3 plug and wrapped the connector in electrical tape. The USB pigtail with its two female connectors rests inside the glove box ready for use anytime. The device is inexpensive (amazon) and the installation is non invasive if you have the unused connector available.

Here are a couple of images of the connector and the pigtail.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: USB pigtail in glove box - late Vanagon Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
I already had an unused always on power connection in the dash, a branch of the radio/map light/cigarette lighter circuit. The circuit is mapped out in Bentley on page 97.199 - it is a 3 pin connector floating around behind or underneath the radio.

T3 Pilot wrote:

The USB pigtail with its two female connectors rests inside the glove box ready for use anytime. The device is inexpensive (amazon) and the installation is non invasive if you have the unused connector available.

That's weird — what the heck is that pigtail actually intended for? I've never seen that in our '91 van, and I've done some extensive digging back there.

What fuse is it running on?
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: USB pigtail in glove box - late Vanagon Reply with quote

The unused plug is for an optional amplified speaker that was installed in some carat models. This plug runs off of the radio/lighter/map light circuit. I am on my phone now, but the fuse is printed at the top of the wiring diagram.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: