Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

connecting the balance tube
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drivingpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: connecting the balance tube Reply with quote

i've got an engine w/ dual solexes and the balance tube is there but not connected... can i just use any old piece of rubber hose to connect the tube to the manifold? or is there a special part? i noticed that the diameter of the tube is much bigger than the connection on the manifold, so i wondered if it required something special.
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 5/8" fuel hose for the balance tube connection on my '65 squarebacks single port engine. You can get this hose at NAPA, I think the part # is H183. If you have a dual port motor use 3/8" fuel hose for the balance tube connection. Make sure the hose you get is rated for fuel, do not use heater hose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drivingpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the reply... i read your response and after thinking about it waaay too much i wasn't sure what you meant Wink. Are you saying you connected one manifold vacuum port to the other with only the 5/8 hose (not using the balance tube at all)?, or that you connected the port to the balance tube with the 5/8 hose? i have some 5/8 hose and i couldn't fit it over the balance pipe.
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drivingpenguin wrote:
hey thanks for the reply... i read your response and after thinking about it waaay too much i wasn't sure what you meant Wink. Are you saying you connected one manifold vacuum port to the other with only the 5/8 hose (not using the balance tube at all)?, or that you connected the port to the balance tube with the 5/8 hose? i have some 5/8 hose and i couldn't fit it over the balance pipe.

When I upgrade to dual port heads on my 66, I simple used a long piece of 3/8" fuel line to connect the two ports on the manifolds to each other. Has held up for 5 years and nearly 30,000 miles.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
drivingpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a dumbass! i said 5/8 but i was using 5/16... the 5/16 fit over the manifold connection but no where close to fitting the pipe... 5/8 would fit the pipe, but would be too big for the manifold connection. it's like some kind of reducer is needed.

jaranson... thanks for the info. i may just ditch the pipe then and make my own out of hose... the only reason i wanted to keep the pipe was because i need the vacuum port for the transmission, but i suppose i could just throw a T in the hose.
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drivingpenguin wrote:
i'm a dumbass! i said 5/8 but i was using 5/16... the 5/16 fit over the manifold connection but no where close to fitting the pipe... 5/8 would fit the pipe, but would be too big for the manifold connection. it's like some kind of reducer is needed.

jaranson... thanks for the info. i may just ditch the pipe then and make my own out of hose... the only reason i wanted to keep the pipe was because i need the vacuum port for the transmission, but i suppose i could just throw a T in the hose.

Yeah, check the size. I might be remembering the 3/8" wrong. Just use some fuel line that slips on the nipple on the manifolds. I have hose clamps on mine just in case.

I would think the T in the line should be fine for the vacuum for the auto. Not sure since mine is a standard.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single port cross over is a larger diameter. It is at least 5/8" maybe bigger. I would have to go out to the shop and measure. The dual port, is closer to 5/16" . I bent up some 5/16" steel gas line with short pieces of 5/16 gas line to make a balance pipe when I did the conversion to dual ports on my '66.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drivingpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you guys are right, the pipe is just a hair under 5/8, but the single port vacuum connection is a hair under 5/16.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

single port manifold, or dual port.
Stock dual ports WERE about 5/16". Stock single ports matched the pipe. About 5/8". Sounds like someone has messed with the manifolds if it is only 5/16" on a single port engine.

drivingpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap Russ, you're right. they're dual port. my other set of solex's has single port manifolds - i thought both sets were the same.

so i'll either buy or make on my lathe a fitting to connect a 5/8 hose on one side and a 5/16 on the other
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make a balance pipe from 5/16" steel gas line from your local parts store. That is what I did when I converted my 66 to dual ports.

rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Russ has a good photo of the engine in his fastback in his gallery. Russ did a good job on that balance tube, it looks original!
drivingpenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip rusty, i looked at how he did it.

russ... the pictures of your fasty are great, thanks for putting them out there. i poked around the galleries a bit too... i've seen some of em before and now they're bookmarked. lots of great photos and info in there.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what, My 66, is going back to single port for a while. The case has an oil leak, and I need to get it going, so I will be using the Ghia's long block. And, the large balance pipe.
You are welcome to the web site. Just trying to pass on the knowledge.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: