TheSamba.com
>Help  >Donate  >Buy Shirts  >Register  >Log in See all Samba banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com

68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PierreDeKat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

I just wanted to document the seatbelt bolts in my 68 Beetle for the benefit of anybody searching the archives in the same situation I was in: trying to purchase bolts to fit the existing threaded seatbelt studs.

For reasons unknown to me, these bolts are not metric; they're threaded SAE 7/16-20 -- that's a fine thread 7/16 inch bolt. All of the threaded seatbelt inserts are threaded this way: four behind the backseat, two on each door column, and two holding the seatbelt levers between the front seats.

VW may have used this fastener because of some sort of deal with Repa, the manufacturer of the OEM seatbelts during this time. Who knows; they just did it that way, in 1968 Beetles, and I'm sure several other models and years of Volkswagens around that same time period.

Here is a picture of an original door column bolt, alongside an original nylon washer that allows the seatbelt cleats some freedom to automatically adjust for the least slack.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You probably won't be able to find a shoulder bolt like this one at your local hardware store, but they usually carry a 7/16-20x1 inch bolt that's fully threaded, and you might get lucky and find a little 7/16 ID cylindrical piece to act as the shoulder part of the bolt.

Keywords: Repa seat belt lap belts seatbelt seatbelts bolt thread threaded threading size non-metric SAE screw fastener nut weldnut anchor shoulderbolt 2-point 3-point retractable harness
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: