Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The worst thing that ever happened to your vw
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: The worst thing that ever happened to your vw Reply with quote

I realize this is a little off since it comes in the middle of a bunch of technical threads, but I was thinking about this today. I drove my bug to work and you're out there on the highway, with a bunch 18 wheelers passing close to you and it makes you wonder, shit, it would suck if this or that happened...

Long story short, it made me think about the worst thing/s that ever happened to my bug (since it's been restored), and I was wondering what everyone else has to share...

The two worst things that have happened to my bug (which I guess are not that bad, but they did piss me off A LOT) have to be 1. when I found mouse shit all over my interior (specially under the backseat area) and 2. when i dropped a set of rims i was selling on ebay and one of them hit the side of my car (recently painted and veeeery expensive paintjob) and dented it on a couple of spots. God I would've shot myself in the mouth that day.

Ok, share your pain now!

Last edited by Juan on Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The worst thing that ever happened to your bug Reply with quote

Juan wrote:
when i dropped a set of rims i was selling on ebay and one of them hit the side of my car (recently painted and veeeery expensive paintjob) and dented it on a couple of spots.!

Yes...

There was a thread titled " F&CK F@*K F*CK etc" that was revived from 2002 a couple of days ago. In which you detailed your expereience. Then the new posts started to mysteriously dissapear, and then the whole thread got deleted.

I believe it's a consipiracy.

Current: 1972 Beetle - 96V EV
Previous:
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1300SP
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1600SP
1974 Beetle - African Red - 1914CC

Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, that's the second time I hear about that post being brought back. weird!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wtchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in high school I had a nice Royal Blue 69 Baja. A lady ran a stop sign and poof the car was gone.

As for the since the rebuild part; the day I was loading it up to take it to the shop I dropped one of the loading ramps on the hood! At least it was before the paint and body work!!!!
wtchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in high school I had a nice Royal Blue 69 Baja. A lady ran a stop sign and poof the car was gone.

As for the since the rebuild part; the day I was loading it up to take it to the shop I dropped one of the loading ramps on the hood! At least it was before the paint and body work!!!!
metaljim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the worst thing that has happened to my car was when the p.o crucnched the font end.

thankfully, i haven't fucked anything up YET.
pyropiper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple. 1. My first beetle that I ever owned ( a 72) Was totalled one fabulous morning by some idiot who dropped a bottle of water (ie 1gal) and went to pick it up. My car was parked and I was sleeping. Mazda MPV Vs. Bug.... bug got pushed 5 feet up a curb almost into a tree as well. One hell of a way to wake up in the morning. Good thing he locked his keys in his car otherwise he probably would have took off. 2. Put a new engine and tranny in my 58, took it for a test drive ran out of gas (pinholes in gas tank) and shift coupler snapped in half (hit me in the back of the head) that was a crappy 1st run. of course ill have more in time.....
Stitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my nice 64' parked on the side of the house last year...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...as I was puting up the Christmas lights on my 2 story house on a windy cold day...the realized that if the ladder I was useing on the roof fell it would land on the bug...I went down, got my keys, got in the bug...wind was blowing! and Bug was cranking ( I am thinking....crap...gotta move before the ladder falls....start to crank it over again....and ... BAMMM!!! Onto the hood of the bug! Scared the everlasting shit outta me! BUT it was not the ladder! It was a empty box of lights that I had just put on the house....didnt hurt the bug at all, but took me weeks to get the smell and stain off the seat! Wink

Click to view image (If you have to ask....you don't know... )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

But it's all fixed now, a skilled panel beater fixed that front quarter and bonnet so well you can hardly tell it was damaged!

I was also lucky enough to score an exact replacement spot light at a local autojumble for ~$5 - the only other I've ever seen!!
1962 Austin Mini Seven
1970 Triumph Spitfire IV
1965 Mobylette SP50
1985 Sinclair C5
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1965Type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one. It wasn't a bug, it was a Type 3 if that's o.k..

Back in H.S. I had an original paint squareback. Had a 1641 built to the gills. Dellortos, cam, the whole deal. The thing was dropped. Had the empi 8 spokes. Looking good. I had that car all the way through H.S.

I sold it to a kid that was looking for his first car. The kid falls in love with the car. Tells me he'll take care of it, and never sell it. Four weeks later I see it on a lot. Everything worth any kind of cash is stripped off. The engine is about ready to explode. The interior is gutted.

The kicker...... the lot wanted more for it then what I sold it for. I was sick. Stupid kid.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a 67hardtop in san diego for $950. had it for a week. a guy came over to visit his mother and parked his el camino in parking space.did not set his ebrake. 10 minutes later i hear an impact. went outside to see his rear bumper resting against a huge dent in my 67 right front fender. he said get estimate and call me. estimate ? $601.51 he wrote me a check-it cashed and i pounded the dent out and drove it for 5 years.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also not a Beetle, but my '64 Ghia convertible. Got the car back from a professional paint job and finish bodywork in April '88; looked fantastic and even won a "best paint" award at a large VW meet that summer. In Oct. I was heading back from a VW Fall Foliage Drive in VT when a Jeep Cherokee sideswiped into the left side of the car after being stopped in traffic on a 4-lane local road in MA. Sunny afternoon. Damage was bad enough from the back of the door to the center of the rear wheelwell, but I was able to drive. Jackass' insurance covered the repairs and the body shop did an excellent job blending the paint (L87 pearl white). Ever since then I drove every car I was in with the headlights on ALL the time, and I HATE Jeeps.

OK, a Beetle story, but not really as bad as the ones you all have mentioned: in '75 I bought a faded anthracite grey '62 Beetle sunroof locally for $100. Car had a crunched front apron and hood because the brakes went out. Dad and I fixed it, and replaced "some" of the brake lines, as well as painting it a more cheerful VW color Miami Blue. Sold the car 2 years later to a fella who could not give me my asking price but would pay in installments. Well, while he was driving it the brakes went out AGAIN (the line I did NOT replace) and he got rear-ended. Not badly, though. So I had to fix the car and he gave me the final $. Was glad to see that car leave.
TWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my bug, but my brother's. A female friend of his sat in the rear seat. The seat began to feel warm, then began to smoke. When she sat on the seat, the springs had shorted across the battery. They got out of the car just before the flames. It took him months to repair it. Thanks to him, I always cover the battery to make certain that it can't happen to me.
volks67beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one time, in band camp.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago i bought a 64 bug that supposidly had a rebuilt engine in
it, well about 200 miles later on the expressway headed to pomona swap meet at 2 in the morning the motor decides it's going to lose an exhaust seat. Needles to say we missed pomona all together and took out the piston, head and cylinder. Evil or Very Mad ..........but on a good note i had it fixed by the following weekend Exclamation
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 16 and decided to dechrome and customize a perfectly good 64 bug.
Pintobean
Samba Frijol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my 65 parked outside the house once and this guy (who I thought was drunk but the cops disagreed) hit the front driver side of my bug, spun it around and in the same swoop knocked out the back. When I ran outside it was half on the curb and half on the street.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pintobean- have you ever seen the car chase scene near the end of the movie "What's Up, Doc?"? If not, try to find it and rent it- and you'll see how the guy with the early Bus must've felt... Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
Pintobean
Samba Frijol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHA! I would have died if I opened my door and was left holding it while the rest of my car fell apart (practicaly did though!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hakka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, I love that movie. If you look when the bus falls over you will notcie that the bus is only half the width it should probably be Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: