Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The worst thing that ever happened to your vw
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. I flipped a car when I was 17, no thoughts about staying in it upside down - just that the picture of icy water rushing in in the dark kind of freaks me out. Anxious

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there were no thoughts of hanging about...literally. Not much to do in a car that’s greasy side up. I had fitted seatbelts and remember my zippo lighter falling out of my chest pocket and hitting me in the face. Also, had a dog with me and she was out in a flash, as soon as I rolled down the window she dug her way clear. So much for heroic retrievers! Laughing She knew that things were not the way they should be.

You can see the water line on the car in one of the pics, not too deep but I didn’t know that at the time…it was deep enough, and in the dark it was scary.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Why did you decide to get out of the car?

Man don't you ever watch television? Everyone knows that you have about 2 minutes to get out of the car after a crash before it explodes and is engulfed in flames.
onthegolfcourse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Tunk hinge bracket broke Reply with quote

I bought this 1967 Bug, started the body work, noticed the bracket holding the trunk hinge to the body was broken. To fix it we had to cut into the metal dashboard, weld the bracket, weld the patch to the dash board, fill and prep the dash for paint...
First time I put the lid on and worked it open/closed a few times, the bracket broke again. Had to cut the dashboard open again, make a plate, bolt and weld it and redo the dash. I wanted to cry...
Pearly is painted now (lacquer white pearl), ready for clear.
Tom Marshall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: worst thing Reply with quote

1) brakes gave out and ran into back of somebody whole front clip replaced and body shop threw smashed parts away and didn't take the I.D. plate off from behind spare....damnnnn
2) blow out at 60mph left front tire that was kinda fun...oh yea, spare was a retread and flew apart before I even got onto highway and a 4 hour wait for a tow
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was driving my first Beetle on a four lane one way street in downtown Victoria in the early morning. Not another car on the road. Then BAM! a big fat Econoline boogies out of a parking lot right into the back fender of my poor Bug. My tire makes an incredible noise as it explodes! The dude that hits me was attempting to enter another parking lot across the road (or so he says). My damage was a wasted fender and wrecked rim and tire. I felt better when I saw that the bumper on his Ford was just about completely removed... Anyway he accepted full responsibility and I went to the police station to report (long before cell phones..) The young cop insisted at looking at the damage to my car to see if I should be driving it. I had installed my spare tire which was an old studded snowy. I should have mentioned that this accident happened in the summer and studded tires where illegal in my area at this time of the year. The cop pointed this out with glee and I am sure was intending to write me a ticket for this! Fortunately when I explained why, he relented, but only after checking the tire on the other side to make sure I wasn't lying... It was bad enough being in my first and only accident, but the cop's attitude did not exactly make my day...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high school, my beautiful 56 Bug got T-Boned at an intersection by a 64 chevy station wagon. Two years later, I was a passenger in my buddy's (just paid off) 72 Bug and wammo, T-Boned at a different intersection by a different 64 chevy station wagon.

Glad there aren't a lot of 64 chevy's out there now...!!!!
deejee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the worst thing to ever happen to my beetle was.... ME

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

we all make bad judgment calls at some point in life.. some are worse than others.. however, what i learned was...

DONT DRINK AND DRIVE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't drink and drive is right. That looks like a hard hit.

The car my dad and I built when I was 15 was stolen and stripped. It was in front of my house at midnight. By 6am it was just a shell sitting in a yard a 1/4 mile away. The cops told my dad I had it stolen for insurance money. Not much of an investigation since I had liability only. A real kick in the junk. I still get mad about it and it was 30 yrs ago.

Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was driving my first VW (a primed 64 beauty) when I pulled up behind a woman on a slight incline who had several folding tables lying in the bed of her truck. She took off from the stop sign and all three tables cam sliding out of the bed. She realized this and came to a quick stop. Seeing this, I pulled up behind her and was going to help put the tables back in the truck. She gets out of the truck and would you know it, she didn't set the parking brake and her truck (without her in it) rolled right back into my front end which took out both of my head lights and the hood.

I almost cried!

Rand
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: