Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zarwerks shop spy cam ....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely great to see this one happen John. Hope to see that manifold display case/combination bar in the veranda one day! Any idea of the last year/month these might have been used?

Gary
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brezelwerks wrote:
Definitely great to see this one happen John. Hope to see that manifold display case/combination bar in the veranda one day! Any idea of the last year/month these might have been used?

Gary

My car's an October of '53 production.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that it was used until the first 36hp (Jan 1 '54?). Again, it seems odd that there was a "701E" style, 25hp/26mm intake that came after the Jacketed K, then this '53 only intake, then the real 701E.

It is almost like they were playing around with a better design for heat transfer between the heat riser and intake runner, then went back to the old design.

Also, it could be that it was just another manufacturer too.

I did find in my box of intakes last night that I have at least 3 of the intakes with the "figure 8" casting (deep grooves cut front and back, like Bob has and like my original one in the first pic), but they are 36hp/28mm. Two of them are even marked 701E, one has no markings...

???

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now media blasted, ready for masking, paint and baking. The "701E" intake there is one I milled for 25hp engines (anyone need one?).

(The right side heat risers on the zwitter intakes are not "overbent" it is just the curvature and angle of the shot.............)

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

Now media blasted, ready for masking, paint and baking. The "701E" intake there is one I milled for 25hp engines (anyone need one?).

(The right side heat risers on the zwitter intakes are not "overbent" it is just the curvature and angle of the shot.............)

I need one if it's correct for the 25hp in my 53.
VDubMattStuart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excited! I think you have me down for one 25hp manifold Wink Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Matt, the two shown in the pics are spoken for. One is yours, the other is for well known part hoarder Wink who lurks here and whome I've owed this intake to for probably 2 years now.

But the other one that is a standard 701E 36 hp intake has had its endcastings milled for use on a 25hp engine. This would be a good subsitute for the 701E style 25 hp intake that was used after the Jacketed K was phased out (mid-late '51), but before the '53 only.

The unknown is when this zwitter/53 only intake was used. Probably until the 36hp engine in '54, but not sure when it started...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Yes Matt, the two shown in the pics are spoken for. One is yours, the other is for well known part hoarder Wink who lurks here and whome I've owed this intake to for probably 2 years now.

But the other one that is a standard 701E 36 hp intake has had its endcastings milled for use on a 25hp engine. This would be a good subsitute for the 701E style 25 hp intake that was used after the Jacketed K was phased out (mid-late '51), but before the '53 only.

The unknown is when this zwitter/53 only intake was used. Probably until the 36hp engine in '54, but not sure when it started...

Cool thanks, just pm or email me when you have the money stuff worked out.
VDubMattStuart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggen wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

Cool thanks, just pm or email me when you have the money stuff worked out.

Yes let me know as well and I'll see you at Kelly park! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are done. Painted and baked.

This one has some oil that has "bled" out of the casting during baking. Some solvent and it wipes right off.

I actually mask off the whole casting before spraying. This is very painstaking (getting all around the pipes where they enter the casting on the ends) but it gives a nice clean look, and the aluminum looks like aluminum.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry
If you wish to not block the heatrisers there is a way to weld the inside of the riser where it touches the intake pipe.

Instead of cutting the pipes square, start with a square cut, then cut off part of each pipe at a 45 degree angle, leaving just the part that touches the intake pipe square. Then you have access to the inside of the heatriser for welding. After the inside part is welded, fit a pie shaped section to the now "V" shaped hole and weld the outside. Voila, full weld all around.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip! I might have to give that a try next time. Thanks..

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen one of these manifolds on an unrestored 54, maybe it was an early 55 even, but it definately was'nt a 53 or a 25hp, it was a beat up red beetle at a show in Milan Michigan in the late 90s , I always thought the late '53 25ers had the tall fat heat riser that went up towards the carb with the 25hp style K runners, an original 53 carb had the accelerator pump but no vacuum port on the right rear since the engine still uses the 383 centrifical dist.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original one of these also, and it has 36 hp endcastings, so it seems they were used on the early 36hp engines as well.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, one of these days we all need to put together a book or something on what is an "authentic" VW restoration, of course engines are a real sore spot lacking any credible info in any book I have ever purchased, gets pretty tired looking at book after book showing 36hp engines in splits and labeled as original, of course there are ranges of what is "correct" and a lot of randomness as the factory experimented with this and that new part and using up old stocks, but it has to be possible to make this happen, I know there are Corvette guys who have all the correct bolt head markings casting numbers and such listed in their books, why are VWs such a mystery, even a book with just actual ORIGINAL unrestored cars only would be a big hit with me, I am always impressed when I see an oval or a split with a front hood prop with the primer still there where the prop overlaps itself, I dont think I have ever seen anyone attempt to duplicate that, also unpainted shiny headed bolts holding the hood hinges on bug me too, and I have taken apart a few original 25 HP engines which used gunmetal blue sheet metal screws everywhere, not a shiny one to be found, its things like that that impress me, not a clear coated 42 coat paint job, just my 3 cents Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on a "Split buyers guide" for while now, and yes, I intend to spend a lot of time on the engine details. I am working on a format to track several part changes along a timeline. The details in the 25hp engines alone are incredible, and you are right Bill, there is virtually no documentation on them....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Sorry to open this back up, but since you have my intake and it's only a month earlier than Bob's, are you able to verify the markings that were on these 53 only manifolds Very Happy

Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56OvalRHD wrote:
John,

Sorry to open this back up, but since you have my intake and it's only a month earlier than Bob's, are you able to verify the markings that were on these 53 only manifolds Very Happy

Eric

Well yours Eric has markings on the back, upper part of the casting. And "02", a VW logo, and then "08 02". Big font, probably 11-12mm high. But dimensionally, it is the same as every other "zwitter" intake I have seen.

I have one of my own, but it has 36hp endcastings. The thinner (18mm OD) heat riser with the right angle right side bend. And it has very faintly on the back of the jacket the "701E" part number. It is very hard to read, almost lost in what looks like the product of a very worn out mold.

So the legend lives on, yet more differences in thse early intakes. I'll try to post a pic of your when I get it done. I think I have another one around here with markings like yours somewhere.....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably highlights the number of changes occurring at this point in production. It seems really tough to pin down exactly what was going on during this transitional period. Imagine from split to oval, from 25 to 30 horse and the 1000's of other changes going on.

Here you are (We) trying to figure out exactly what and why 54 years later????? No wonder it's tough.

Thanks again for your help John,

Eric Confused
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a NOS 701E intake, have no use for it. Is it worth anything?
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: