Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 Squareback needs motor...w/pic
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dailydrivervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: 70 Squareback needs motor...w/pic Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've been using an oval bug as my primary car for 2 years. I need more room, and also need to pull a tiny trailer for my son's hobby needs. I just about stole this Nevada 70 squareback in excellent condition. It has no rust anywhere, that dark spot on the back edge of door is one of those rubber parking lot bumpers(I haven't seen one of those in 40 years!)

The bad: someone ran it knocking until the #4 rod destroyed the case, crank, cam, etc. I live in a hilly area and even with a 1600 in the bug, I need 2nd gear on my road. So I'd like more pulling power. I have a new set of 88mm but don't know if that would overheat in a T3, even if I reshim them for stock compression and use "cool-tins"?. I'm most likely going to drive this car for years, so I'd like to hear some opinions. I'm not a newbie as far as builing cars & trucks with modern drivelines, and can handle fabbing & machining.

I searched Samba for motor swap pics like Subaru but it looked like that motor is too tall to use the stock engine lid? or was that just because that pic was turbo? It was a fastback hotrod.

If that won't go, what's needed for a T4 as far as using VW injection? I would like to use FI vs carbs, as many years ago, a friend lost 3-4 mpg by switching to 67 carbs on a 70 fastback.

I also have a early 914 trans with the extra high final drive ratio. What's your opinion on that swap? Why would I want to?: Because the T3 has the same final ratio as my late trans ratio in my bug, and it still screams on the highway, just trying to stay out of everyones way. I doubt the T3 stock 1600 could handle an overdrive such as this without overheating??
Thanks
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a good good condiction stock 1600 you should be fine, people will tell you how good the type3 can be in its all stock form, and the ratio's are good for 70mph all day.

If your gonna mess with things the worlds your oyster. A 74mm crank would add torque, and a header and single quiet pack a few more hp.

I say get a stock FI 1600. Its gonna be loads better than the beetle.
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no purist by any means, but I'd recommend staying with a stock 1600 with FI. These cars are fantastic with the stock FI, but if you decide to bump the engine size up, then you need to keep the stock cam so it will work with the FI. The D-jet FI is very vacuum sensitive to cam changes. But if you're looking for more low end grunt, then a t-4 would be the way to go, but some of the conversion parts are a little hard to find. Some are becoming available, but you're going to have to wait. The D-jet FI you already have could be used with the t-4 just by swapping the ECU and the MPS (needs to match the ECU) for the size of the engine you'd be using. Cool I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: