Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 fastback has a 5speed ??
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pploco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: 73 fastback has a 5speed ?? Reply with quote

I took a look at a type 3 yesterday that a friend of mine is trying to get rid of. Not needing another project but unable to kick the vdub habit I took drove it around the block. I got all excited and giddy that I missed third and went into 5th!?. To be sure I shifted through all the gears - this thing is a 5 speed.

Did the '73 fastback come with a 5 speed?

He claims it is completely stock. I didn't want to act too interested and climb underneath to see what it was - he is ready to give it away.

What do you think?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is stock, it is not a 5 speed --- sounds like you didn't miss third at all...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a 5-speed, someone did some tranny swapping many years ago and didn't say anything.
pploco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is wanting to trade for a beater baja bug I have. It is in great condition. What transmission could this be? Porsche?

Truth be told, I have a subaru J20T taking up space in my garage. I had planned on fabbing it into my bug but couldn't make a decision on the trans to use. If I luck out an this is a 914 trans, I could be in business.

Be nice to have a sleeper hotrod.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be either a Berg 5 or Porsche 911 tranny. Do people put 914 transmissions in VWs? That would be a lot of work since the 914's have that funky rear mount and also can you even flip the ring gear in them?

BTW, you're not really gaining any speed or horsepower with a 5-speed, just a closer ratio between the gears.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
My guess would be either a Berg 5 or Porsche 911 tranny. Do people put 914 transmissions in VWs? That would be a lot of work since the 914's have that funky rear mount and also can you even flip the ring gear in them?

BTW, you're not really gaining any speed or horsepower with a 5-speed, just a closer ratio between the gears.

I'm thinking Porsche 901, but I don't know that much about Porsche trannies. I believe the 901 came out of the Porsche 914, which replaced the Type 34 Karmann Ghia on the assembly line.
pploco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I know I wouldn't gain horsepower - just have strength to handle more horses. I am going to swing by this afternoon to have a closer look. I have to say that the salivation factor kicks in when I think of a new project like this.
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah people put 914 trannies in VWs and yes you have to flip the ring gear. I hear it's pretty easy and the R&P backlash is ussually the same from one side to the other so no adjustment necessarry. Don't really no the details though.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely it is a Berg 5 Speed. Air_Cooled_Nut has one in his Squareback, and Glenn has one in his fat chick bug.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
mrenna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 901 is the standard transmission in the 914 and early 911/912 (pre 72). To run on a rear engine car, the 914 model 901 would have to have a flipped ring and pinion. I would guess a 911/912 901 would need totally new gears to run with a VW engine. Its not unheard of to have hybrid boxes: 911 case and ring and pinion with 914 gear stack. The parts are interchangable.

As far as mounting that in a squareback, I have no clue. I got my second squareback last week and I havent taken the engine out of one yet... or even looked underneeth Embarassed
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
More likely it is a Berg 5 Speed. Air_Cooled_Nut has one in his Squareback, and Glenn has one in his fat chick bug.

Yep...good friend Toby Erkson (Air_Cooled_Nut on the VW Vortex) has a Gene Berg 5-speed tranny in his '72 Squareback:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/VWSTATS.HTM
V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

post pics asap!

-Ryan
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the owner of a 914 and a Squareback I can say that the 914 tranny would require cutting metal to get that sucker to fit, plus some creative shifting mechanisim work. I'm not 100% positive that the 914 tranny is longer but I want to say that it is.

A good 914 tranny has the shifting mechanisim on the side of the tranny whereas the older, more vague (and less desirable) units use the tail.

My 914 drivetrain pulled. The black oval with the black rod going into it just past the mid point of the tranny is the side shifter:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Left is stock, right is with 5-speed kit:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/ttt/transmission.html#custom
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: