Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering a Bay FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contribution. Dancing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
covdubguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading another thread and came across these guys in the UK selling through rods and coil over shocks as another way to lower a bus.

Here is the link
http://www.red9design.com/type2.htm

What do you all think?

They also sell a really sweet looking front a-arm kit.
Dirty hippies give busses a bad name
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

covdubguy wrote:
I was reading another thread and came across these guys in the UK selling through rods and coil over shocks as another way to lower a bus.

Here is the link

What do you all think?

If they do nothing to beef up the lower trailing arm shock mount, I would pass. That system appears to put the entire weight of the bus on that one little lower bolt. Not good enough for me.
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

covdubguy wrote:

Here is the link

What do you all think?

It doesn't appear that either one of those solutions are narrower that stock. In order to prevent the tires from rubbing the doglegs on a lowered bus you have to narrow the front suspension.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn A wrote:
My contribution. Dancing

love the stance on yours, exactly what i'm looking for. tried searching your other posts and sadly, it looks like the only way to achieve this is by cutting and then adding the "tubs" ? not sure if that's correct, still trying to learn, but it looks like you've cut and then added a tub upside down to get more wheel clearance? is there another thread where you discuss your particular set-up? guessing the only way to use your tire/wheel combination/size and have that lowered stance, you have to use the tubs?
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn A wrote:
My contribution. Dancing

Your contribution would be to share specs Wink Very Happy

I guess, based on your album pics, you did tub the front. Does it really need them though? Seems "mildly" lowered (by some standards, I suppose). Looks like you would have decent clearance even without tubs.

Did you need to C-notch the frame at rear?
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up front is an adjustable narrowed beam about 4.5". Oldspeed drop spindles with 944 rotors and Wilwood calipers. 215/40 17 Nankangs on empi Fuchs. Chase (Cage66) made the tubs for me.
In the rear I've got Nates (Wagonswest) 4.5" drop plates and adjusted the spring plates some to dial it in. The rear also has 944 rotors with Wilwood ebrake calipers and associated brackets made by Oldspeed. 235/45 17s in the rear.
With my 210 pound ass sitting up front it drops the nose almost an inch. The bus levels out nicely. The roads around NYC are a complete joke so yes the tubs are needed.
The rear has been notched and the shock towers trimmed for shock clearance. Also the dust shields on the front and rear shocks have been removed for clearance issues as well.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
J K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Glenn A for the additional info. The tubs look a little more complicated than my skill set allows. Was really hoping to get that look without the tubs and without having rubbing issues. How much do the tubs give you? 2 inches?
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes tubs are 2"

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J K wrote:
Thank you Glenn A for the additional info. The tubs look a little more complicated than my skill set allows. Was really hoping to get that look without the tubs and without having rubbing issues. How much do the tubs give you? 2 inches?

If you are just getting acquainted with a bus or lowering a bus, and like the look of Fuchs, you might want to consider sticking with 15" Fuchs. Can get away without tubs and will probably save you some headaches with clearances, rubbing issues, etc. Could likely go lower if you chose to, and still looks pretty damn good. My 2 cents

Last edited by Dogo on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a stupid question, but.... does everyone flip the tie rod ends?
What the process? same as bug? ream it? bushing kit?
Thx
J K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogo wrote:
If you are just getting acquainted with a bus or lowering a bus, and like the look of Fuchs, you might want to consider sticking with 15" Fuchs. Can get away without tubs and will probably save you some headaches with clearances, rubbing issues, etc. Could likely go lower if you chose to, and still looks pretty damn good. My 2 cents

Thank you. I am new to lowering AND buses. Changing direction from lifting jeeps Very Happy I spent 3 hours last night reading through this thread and am still only on page 173. Im looking for a moderate stance. I/m not overly concerned with ride quality/comfort, but really want to avoid the rubbing if possible. I've found several buses in this thread, just trying to understand their specs. Thanks for the tips.
J K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogo - I wasn't able to view the pictures on my desktop, but just looked on my phone. I think I've seen some of those buses in this thread. Are they all on 15's and no tubs. I certainly don't need lower than that. Again, appreciate the help.
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J K wrote:
Dogo - I wasn't able to view the pictures on my desktop, but just looked on my phone. I think I've seen some of those buses in this thread. Are they all on 15's and no tubs. I certainly don't need lower than that. Again, appreciate the help.

All are on 15s.
I know the green one isn't tubbed, the others I don't know for sure, but I don't see why they would.
Below are two examples (including the green one). Pretty low, no tubs. The white one I also know has no tubs (at the time of this pic. He's tubbing it now, because going lower).
They do however all have rear frame notches, and the green one also has the frame notched in the front, but not sure it really would need it (maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in on that). But obviously notches are far less involved than tubs. And of course, you're still going to have to take it easy over humps and bumps.

Green build: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28327&hilit=fuch

White build: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21827

^ these are both early bays, but you'll get the gist of it. A plus for you is that you don't need to change bolt patterns. 15 fuchs are readily available for your bolt pattern (except for deep6s. I don't THINK there are deep 6s for your pattern. Could be wrong)
J K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogo - thanks again... so helpful. actually didn't know there was another forum dedicated to the early bays. will have to read up on those build threads as well. this gives me hope... love the look of these and wouldn't even need to be lowered this much so i'm hoping i can get a little of both worlds, more aggressive stance without constant rubbing.
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J K wrote:
dogo - thanks again... so helpful. actually didn't know there was another forum dedicated to the early bays. will have to read up on those build threads as well. this gives me hope... love the look of these and wouldn't even need to be lowered this much so i'm hoping i can get a little of both worlds, more aggressive stance without constant rubbing.

There's also a late bay forum (yours is a late bay, right? 77?), but I don't think it is nearly as busy as earlybay.com or this site, but might be worth taking a peek at it.
www.thelatebay.com
J K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogo wrote:
There's also a late bay forum (yours is a late bay, right? 77?), but I don't think it is nearly as busy as earlybay.com or this site, but might be worth taking a peek at it.
www.thelatebay.com

somewhat up in the air right now... i have committed with a guy that restores buses and his next build was a 77. he has a 1970 bus that is in better condition and honestly, i like the styling of the early bays a little better, so i've been talking to him about going with the '70 bus. i'm still trying to learn all of the differences - i understand the 70 doesn't have disc breaks, etc. don't want to get this thread off topic, so i'll just say that i'm still trying to decide which route to go - so as of today, i'm still open and very much appreciative of your info.
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J K wrote:
Dogo wrote:
www.thelatebay.com

somewhat up in the air right now... i have committed with a guy that restores buses and his next build was a 77. he has a 1970 bus that is in better condition and honestly, i like the styling of the early bays a little better, so i've been talking to him about going with the '70 bus. i'm still trying to learn all of the differences - i understand the 70 doesn't have disc breaks, etc. don't want to get this thread off topic, so i'll just say that i'm still trying to decide which route to go - so as of today, i'm still open and very much appreciative of your info.

I like small tail light bays way better as well. One of the most obvious issues in your situation (as far as wheels go) is the wheel bolt pattern.
'70: last year of the wide 5 bolt pattern.
'71 and up: small 5 bolt pattern.
Wheel choices for either pattern is quite different.

If you still want to run the 15 fuchs on the '70, I suppose you could always run adapters (probably not the first choice, and assuming you stick to no more than 5.5" wide rims), but you must account for the thickness of the adapter when measuring for fitment and clearance. Wide-5 to narrow-5, or Porsche pattern, adapters are about 1" thick.
The ideal, but more complicated and pricey, way would to convert hubs/brakes to porsche pattern, or to late brakes.

There are wide5 bolt pattern Fuchs, but IMO, don't look nearly as nice as the small5 bolt pattern. It's an option though. http://www.cip1.ca/SearchResults.asp?search=fuch+5+x+205&Submit=

decision, decisions Smile
J K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i especially like the nose better... i like the turn signals down below.

the restorer has talked me through the axle issues and has a surplus of axles from parts vehicles and would be able to swap later bays for mine. while a little more expensive, it gives me the look of the early bays with some of the advantages of the later models. again, i haven't completely decided, but depending on what he comes back with from a cost perspective, i might opt for the early bay as the donor vehicle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 210 of 235

Jump to: