Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering a Bay FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 211, 212, 213 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greanie2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for feedback on the "Dump My Bay" package from Vintage V-Dubs? http://vintagev-dubs.com/
I am new to the VW and Bus scene. Not sure what im looking at or looking for. Only thing i know is i want to lower my bus as far as possible without tubbing or modding the frame.

Is this kit what im looking for? (From the research i have done this kit does contain all the components im looking for.)

More importantly ! Is this a quality kit as far as Quality, Longevity, and Fitment??

Any feedback in either a post or a PM would be much appreciated. I was looking at a wagenswest kit but their turnaround time is outrageous (Something like 9 weeks is the latest i have seen).

I posted this in another forum but im sure this was more likely the correct location for this post.
busboy25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I started trying searching an answer for this but its a lot.
I have had a complete wagenwest system for years but even when it was new I had ball joint problems. They started making noise a few weeks in and the boot broke just as quick. So my questions are:
1) Does wagenwest replace the ball joints in the control arms before they ship the systems?
2) Do they make a lowered ball joint for bays?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) You would have to ask Nate, but I would assume everything is fresh.

2) No.
ballbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just built my self a new 100mm beam and notched the rear. I'm yet to start tubbing, but I will be very shortly Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need to get it down at the front before it will fit in my garage though Laughing
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greanie2011 wrote:
I am looking for feedback on the "Dump My Bay" package from Vintage V-Dubs? http://vintagev-dubs.com/
I am new to the VW and Bus scene. Not sure what im looking at or looking for. Only thing i know is i want to lower my bus as far as possible without tubbing or modding the frame.

Is this kit what im looking for? (From the research i have done this kit does contain all the components im looking for.)

More importantly ! Is this a quality kit as far as Quality, Longevity, and Fitment??

Any feedback in either a post or a PM would be much appreciated. I was looking at a wagenswest kit but their turnaround time is outrageous (Something like 9 weeks is the latest i have seen)

I posted this in another forum but im sure this was more likely the correct location for this post.

I have purchased and awaiting mine, although I have heard great things about Wagenswest and my conversations with Nate were very informative at the end of the day I chose Vintage's Dump my Bay for two reasons.
1) lead time
2) Bruce was awesome in answering all my questions and making sure that I had everything. he ultimately gave me confidence and I chose him.

I will keep you updated and let you know about it more as it should arrive any day now. I am very interested to receive this as my mechanical design background my curiosity running ramped. I will take pictures of the product and show weld quality, machining methods and so forth but am expecting a high level of quality.
ballbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it fits Smile

I'm hoping it should look like this pretty soon Cool

odecom5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, not sure if this thread is so active anymore, but I need help with the actual adjustment of my beam.

I have a 4" narrowed beam from Franklin's VW Werks with adjusters. I also have dropped spindles and was planning to leave it at the stock beam height (minus spindle difference) for the time being. The way I adjusted them:
1. Jack up front of bus, loosen both adjuster bolts.
2. Pull front wheels down towards ground, then tighten adjusters down on the lowest setting that they were at.

I read on WagensWest or some other tutorial that that would put the beam to the HIGHEST setting. This was my result after doing that:

This seems to me to be about 6-8" drop instead of 2.5". There is about 2 finger widths gap between the (underrated/undersized) tire and the wheel well... I like the look, but the ride is bouncy and awful (aren't shortened torsion leaves supposed to stiffen the ride?), and with my fat ass in it I rub all the time. I will be using this for a nearly daily driver, so this needs to improve.

My question: Did I do this right? Is there something else wrong? Should one beam be adjusted up and one down? Is it counter-intuitive and you have to jack up the wheels to raise the car? This doesn't make sense to me. The shocks are some silver KYBs and I think that is the only thing holding the ride up.

Any help anyone can provide would be great. Thank you!

Edit: I also feel like I had them both adjusted all the way up, and when you lower the jack the same thing happens, the bus just sinks.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That beam was probably built with its "starting point" already lower than stock. Call Franklin and ask him. Sounds to me like you did the adjustment properly.

Smaller diameter tires will help with the rubbing, but will drop the front even lower overall. Not sure if there is any more room to go "up" with the beam without seeing where the adjusters are set.

Shocks do no hold the suspension up or down. They simply dampen the ride. (unless they have coil-overs)
gregoryrknox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67sash wrote:
greanie2011 wrote:

Any feedback in either a post or a PM would be much appreciated. I was looking at a wagenswest kit but their turnaround time is outrageous (Something like 9 weeks is the latest i have seen)

I have purchased and awaiting mine, although I have heard great things about Wagenswest and my conversations with Nate were very informative at the end of the day I chose Vintage's Dump my Bay for two reasons.
1) lead time
2) Bruce was awesome in answering all my questions and making sure that I had everything. he ultimately gave me confidence and I chose him.

I will keep you updated and let you know about it more as it should arrive any day now. I am very interested to receive this as my mechanical design background my curiosity running ramped. I will take pictures of the product and show weld quality, machining methods and so forth but am expecting a high level of quality.

I'm also in the market for a lowering kit for my 72 and was wondering how things were coming with yours. What were you initial thoughts on build quality? One of my concerns was the need to notch the rear frame; did you / will you need to do this?

Thanks!
odecom5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
That beam was probably built with its "starting point" already lower than stock. Call Franklin and ask him. Sounds to me like you did the adjustment properly.

Smaller diameter tires will help with the rubbing, but will drop the front even lower overall. Not sure if there is any more room to go "up" with the beam without seeing where the adjusters are set.

Shocks do no hold the suspension up or down. They simply dampen the ride. (unless they have coil-overs)

Thank you for the info. I think I will just try to put stock spindles back on and gain a couple of inches back that way. That should hopefully be enough to keep things in order for DD.
fogoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All,

I've read through most of the forum, but couldn't find a direct answer. I'm sure it's in there somewhere, so forgive me for asking again......

I'm going to add adjusters to my stock 75 beam. If I wanted to do a 'mild' narrow as well, is it possible to shave off the ends of the beam without cutting/replacing the end plates and push the end bearings in an inch or so, or is there something stopping this from happening. Thanks
75 Panel Bus - converting to Subi power http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651073&highlight=
78 Kombi Camper
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it sits right now I will not be notching the rear frame, in my purchase I got drop plates (4") and will utilize those. I do believe the bumper will have to be removed but notching no.
The build quality is to my satisfaction however the powder although fine is marred/scratched on all most every piece do the method in which the product was shipped. I have discussed this with them, but overall I am very pleased by the product in hand and look forward to posting how well it installs in my build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=616613

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67sash wrote:

that center pin looks way, and I mean way shady. I can't imagine it will live a long life out in the open like that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
drakonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
67sash wrote:

that center pin looks way, and I mean way shady. I can't imagine it will live a long life out in the open like that

Why not? Keep plenty of grease in it and it should be fine. I dont see the problem.
69Bugz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one question. And don't beat me up to bad. I did use the search function (alot). My questions is will 17" x 7" fit in the rear wheel wells of my 71 ' westy without any fabrication. I am going 4" narrowed beam, drop spindles, and 3.25' notch plates in the rear. I want to run 17" x 7' with 215-55-17 in the rear and 215-40-17 in the front. Any help will be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69Bugz wrote:
I have one question. 3.25' notch plates in the rear. I want to run 17" x 7' with 215-55-17 in the rear and 215-40-17 in the front.

Top of the page. Next to (post reply) type 17x7 in the search box.
Good Luck
Tcash
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
67sash wrote:

yes, please explain. Functionally it seems sound and if its kept greased it seems like it should be sound for a good duration of time.
69Bugz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
69Bugz wrote:
I have one question. 3.25' notch plates in the rear. I want to run 17" x 7' with 215-55-17 in the rear and 215-40-17 in the front.

Good Luck
Tcash

Thanks for all your help Tcash.... (Not)..... I have already done that several times. I can't find anywhere with the same question that i am asking. I just want to know if 17" fuchs will fit in the fender well with no fab. Just bolt on? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69Bugz wrote:
Tcash wrote:
69Bugz wrote:

Good Luck
Tcash

Thanks for all your help Tcash.... (Not)..... I have already done that several times. I can't find anywhere with the same question that i am asking. I just want to know if 17" fuchs will fit in the fender well with no fab. Just bolt on? Thanks

My guess is you will have to break new ground and figure it out on your own. It may have been done before, but it may not have been posted anywhere to share. IF you can find a photo of the setup you want, you may be able to contact the person who posted the photo for more info.

My prediction is that it will not be possible without fabrication, and will most likely require that you narrow your torsion housing. It all depends on actual tire dimensions and wheel offset. There isn't much room for that stuff in the rear wheel well of a 71 bus.
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to share mine.
First try at it. Other than the bitter Canadian cold in the garage, I think I'm managing ok.
I'm not "mechanically inclined" but I like to think I'm handy, and have spent the last year and a half reading everything I could on lowering a bay, then made up my mind on which way to go about it and went ahead and bought everything I needed. I think i still might have made some not so great choices, but we'll see once she's rolling.
The original plan was to get someone to do the work, but things changed and I had to make the call to tackle it myself. Steep learning curve, but I'm enjoying it.
So far I have done the rear. I hit a couple of minor snags, but it's pretty much done. Getting started on the front soon.

My setup:
'70 Westy
17x7 fuchs
Rear:
205-40s
3.5" WW drop plates.
Late bay (shorter) stub axles, further narrowed about 10mm to clear wheel center cap (if/when swithching to 15" wheels)
Franklins' adjustable spring plate.
Old Speed's Porsche brake bracket/kit.
Gabriel Air shocks (still working on fitting those)

Front:
185-35s
2" WW beam
2.5" WW dropped spindles
Flipped tie rod bushing kit (just in case)
VDub Engineering Porsche brake kit
Gabriel air shocks

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 211, 212, 213 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 212 of 235

Jump to: