Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

REBUILD WOES
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: REBUILD WOES Reply with quote

Hi, I picked up a buggy a few years ago and have been trying to rebuild it. It was a pretty good mess the body and pan are good thats about all. So I stripped it. ripped out the hack job wiring completely disassembled the fron axle and rear as well. the engine was toast so I dumped it. Any ways I've been rebuilding the front end, had some trouble replacing the needle bearings with uerethane but worked through it. Now I'm having problems with the torsion rods. had a horrendous time getting them all in and they came out so easily. so I did what every guy would do... Got a bigger hammer. probably shouldn't have done that. Wink Next I went to put on the trailing arms got the first side on OK but the second side wouldnt get on so I thought well the hommer worked befor and voila they went on. Now being so proud of myself I tightened everything up and then put on the coil over shocks I bought. Thats when I noticed two problems. 1st when I hammered the arms on it forced the outer torsion bars through the cap at the end of the torsion arms (both top and bottom). And 2nd the coilover shocks hit against the torsion arms. So should I pull everything apart and file the ends of the torsion bars down, or should they be replaced, or can I remove the outer bars and lose them since I bought coil over shocks? And is there a adapter to make coil overs fit a stock front beam (i've now discovered they arent supposed to fit?). help me ObiWan kanobi youre my only hope.
Genom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I would look for is a bent beam. When the beam tubes are bent, it makes the trailing arms and torsion bars tough to remove, and even tougher to reinstall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: