Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stereo Systems installation in Splitties
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markuci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

I am in the process of shopping for a sound system for my newly restored 21 window. I would like to install something that is sufficient for the vehicle but one that the 12 volt system can handle. I would also like to make the least amount of modifications to the bus in order to stay as close to stock as possible. Possibly mount under parcel tray? I won't consider cutting dash.

Question 1: I will be installing safari windows. Given the leaky reputation of Safari's. do I need to make any special accomidations?

Question 2: Could you post any pictures of your system, including the speakers and amplifiers if you have them. My bus is a bench model.

Question 3 What type of speakers can fit in the doors? Anyone have any luck installing them without too many modifications?

Question 4 What is the best placement for rear speakers? Over the engine compartment? Under the rear seat?

Thanks for your insights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
middleburgebus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any stereo will work.if you are getting Safari's you will need to put it under the tray.just use two L brackets. and to do that you will need to drill two hole in the tray and that is it.no other mods will need to be done.and for speakers i have two 6 by 9s and two 6/5s the 6/5s will fit in the door.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

o and i have safari's to.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had a thread on this topic.

How about pictures of non-ghetto installs?
65 Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed in my 21 window a Pioneer Deh-P80 radio in the parcel tray with a stock deck in the dash that has been modified ( cut in half it was already dead to clear the one in the parcel tray). Speakers I put into the doors are 6.5 RockFord Fosgate speakers right below the wing windows where there is space. When you have your door panels off you will see the pocket where they can be placed. I also have two 10 subs behind the rear seat.

I have used this setup in the past on my 67 Deluxe non walkthru and it worked well. I had a ten inch woofer in the spare tire spot behind the seat with a small amp. On the wall behind the passenger seat without damage.

The speaker wire in the doors is a bit tricky but I used the door catch bar that door swings and locks on. I drilled a whole behind the kick panel that is not visible. Then I use one zip tie to hold the wire on the door catch into the door. If you want an amp I drilled a hole underneath the bus close to where the stock wire goes to the rear of the bus and made a loom that came up in the pocket under the passeger seat.

The radio in my 21 window above is running 2 ten inch woofers and two 6.5 inch speakers up front with its own internal amp. I didn't have to run any new power to the deck just the factory power off of the ignition switch and constant power for the clock. If you want something in the back of the bus of course you will have to run the speaker wire/ amp wires to the back of the bus or behind the front seat and come up somewhere behind the front / back seat to keep it looking stock.

Hope this helps,
Eric

Last edited by 65 Deluxe on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the speakers I used in my crewcab. I've got massive sound with clean mids-highs. You can feel the bass coming up through the seat. I would not recommend the placement of speakers in the doors. The doors are designed to let water pass through from the window channel down to the drain holes. The speakers would get trashed.
As far as rear speakers you could mount them under the rear seat or do as a lot of others do and put them in boxes. Unless your constantly driving around with people in the back most of your sound system should be in the front were you can hear it. Put the 6x9's in the back just to make riders happy.[

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bend some sheet metal & make your own mount. Mine sits in there tight & no screws hold it, so no holes.

Make your own box or what ever works. Wood, carpet, wood screws & a hot glue gun.

HELL!, I made my front speakers under the pacel tray out of dell computer speakers Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jawohl
Got Ice?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a timely thread for me. I am currently installing a system in my 67 Westy. The dash had already been slightly cut by a previous owner for a contemporary DIN size deck, so I am not worried about that aspect of the install. The Westy has a complete and almost perfect, unmolested interior so my main objective was to install the system without any cutting or modifying of any part of the bus, in fact I absolutely refuse to do it. The challenge is large and I would love any ideas on a couple of sticky points. The system is comprised of a Kenwood Excelon in dash DVD player with TV, it also has navigation, a ten disc CD changer, Sirius satellite receiver a separate "brain" for the in dash unit, a digital sound processor for 5.1 Dolby DTS decoding, a remote controlled AV switch, for three inputs and three outputs, a 10 inch sub, two 6 1/4 coax two 6 x 9 triax and five Bose Accoustimass speakers, with the eventual install of a separate DVD monitor, DVD player. The navigation system requires a vehicle speed sensor, which obviously wasn't a factory option. I have figured out the VSS dilemma and equipment installation, there is just enough room behind the rear facing seat and the spare tire partition to squeak most of the gear in there, the CD changer is in the vertical storage that is right behind the drivers seat in the rear facing seat cabinet. The DVD unit for navigation is mounted to the wood base of the rear facing seat cushion, to minimize the loss of camping gear storage space. and I'll end up building a 1 1/2 cu. ft sub enclosure and also putting it in that same storage area. I am going to lose a little space, which sucks, because when you pack gear for three, for a two or three day camp, space is at a premium. The area that I'm at a loss for ideas is the two magnetic antennas, one satellite radio and one nav., remember my refusal to cut the bus. I need to figure out a way to get these on the roof of the bus without drilling any holes. About the only thing that I can come up with thus far is to run the wires through the over head air vent, through the front intake screens..... the wires are very small in diameter, but the connectors on the end are approximately 3/8" so I am still not too sure about this route. I'll start getting some photos of the install and posting them. It's actually coming together pretty well considering my ground rules, actually better than I thought. There has got to be about fifty miles of wire that still needs to be taken care of for a really clean, sanitary installation. I also need some ideas for speaker mounts for the Bose, they are going to be in the back of the bus for the LF, RF, center, LR and RR audio channels. They are the very small cube speakers, double cube for front left and right and single cube for everything else.

Reverend Peytons Big Damn Band.
http://www.bigdamnband.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ra0DsbiNs0

1957 Logo panel "We Sell ICE"
1966 Vert
1967 Westy
1963 Ragtop
1964 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes time I am going to put a computer in my bus. I got the via mini-atx board.

This is a cool site for you guys that don't know it is out there!

http://www.mp3car.com/

I wanna hook up a nice computer and being the geek I am ITS ON!
65 Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that is what I am talking about Slow and Low some telematics (Car Computer). I have a spare air vent plate I was going to install a 7 inch monitor in and hook it up to a 12volt computer. So I can watch dvds or friends can play their custom mp3 music and videos on. I have Verizons wireless internet so I can stop and surf the net or passengers can get mail and surf as well. This is not that hard to do and for you campers out there you can keep in touch with the forum from anywhere Verizon is while camping. And no I dont work for Verizon but I have used the wireless service with my laptop down the road and it kicks a$$
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
middleburgebus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you are putting in safaris the setreo can not be in the tray.
65 Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a bracket that bolts to two stock bolt locations under the dash. It hangs off the dash and won't be in any standing water if and when the safaris leak.
middleburgebus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i drilled two holes in the tray and used l brackets
Capt Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here for waterproof enclosures:

http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe...1140005113

check the rest of the site for waterproof speakers or any other marine website like http://www.westmarine.com/ for more waterproof ideas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 Deluxe wrote:
Yeah that is what I am talking about Slow and Low some telematics (Car Computer). I have a spare air vent plate I was going to install a 7 inch monitor in and hook it up to a 12volt computer. So I can watch dvds or friends can play their custom mp3 music and videos on. I have Verizons wireless internet so I can stop and surf the net or passengers can get mail and surf as well. This is not that hard to do and for you campers out there you can keep in touch with the forum from anywhere Verizon is while camping. And no I dont work for Verizon but I have used the wireless service with my laptop down the road and it kicks a$$

Yeah I cant wait I will post pics!
tonyarrj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isnīt even close the stereo system that you have, but I didnīt cut any hole to do this ceiling panel.
All wood panel is held up by L brakets.
It is lust an idea to give.

By the way.... The stereo systems you have is more expensive than the bus itself. donīt you think?

Last edited by tonyarrj on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonyarrj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markuci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas. It seems that I am not alone in this project. Anyone else have any good pictures of other options.

Also, for those of you who installed speakers in the door, did they get wet? Have they lasted?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1badanimal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is a stero

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1badanimal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot the link to more pictures

http://www.gspr.com/blau/microbus.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
papasmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine. Nothing too special, but it looks and sounds decent.
I just installed XM radio as well and it is mounted above the driver's sun visor. Not very noticeable and nothing drilled for the XM. No pictures of that yet.

The underdash mount is something I went into a car audio store and asked for, it was 20 bucks and just needed a little shaving here and there. Place some thicker plastic sheet between the dash tray and the stereo mount to keep water out. There is a company that makes the dash mount specifically for the splitties for about 35 bucks but right now I am on my way to work and can't search it out. I'm sure you can find it if you need.
61' austin seven mini
82’ Vanagon westy with a 911sc drive train
62’ bug (wife’s)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: