Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do yesterday on your buggy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugly64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Petronix distributor and oil and generator lights Reply with quote

New distributor for my Buggy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aburger01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Axia Alloy Rear View Mirror - 9" Convex Reply with quote

After seeing the post of the guy that put the 17" Axia Alloy mirror on his buggy, I checked into it and went with the 9" model. I spent over a hundred dollars for this - but once I put it on, it justified the dollars and made a safer buggy too. Incredibly well made if you aren't aware of the manufacturer and brand. Axia Alloys. Much better front windshield sight lines now, the 9" convex mirror really opens the visibility from the rear and passenger sides a heck of a lot. The full cage narrow-ish dual bar setup in my buggy offset the mirror even nicer to the slight passenger side as well.

Check it out: http://axiaalloys.com/Mirrors/Billet-9-inch-Wide-P...lear-Black

Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Installing the Fi Mexican engine. Was a bit more work than I first thought!
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Drained the ugly black oil, no telling how long it had been since the previous owner changed it. Removed hex head bolt from oil sump and installed proper stud. Adjusted valves. Adjusted fan belt tension. Polished pulley and valve covers, permatexed new gaskets to valve covers after scraping a lot of old RTV from covers and heads. Tomorrow I'll install a new billet sump plate, the valve covers, add fresh oil, new plugs, then time it and set up the carb.

Edit: [Note on the billet sump plate: the stock studs are not long enough. I flattened the old steel plate out enough to get a good seal. The fancy billet plate will have to wait. Although the cap and rotor looked decent, I saw the word EMPI on the cap, so I picked up fresh Bosch units and put them in. Got a new fan belt too, turned out the one I had was the wrong size, and I just couldn't get enough tension on it, even with all the shims on the outside.]

Last edited by andygere on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

well, was doble bored, just plain bored and bored buy the fugly hole left by my newly scored old vintage steering wheel

so, I've decided to do something, and this is what it came out to be, a wooden center steering wheel cap, and a wood gear shift knob

lovely, now that is done, I'm still bored Laughing
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Nice! if your still bored why not turn a tube to fit over your e brake
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Christmas Eve it was 70* F here, (Usually 40*F) so I went out for some last minute shopping and took the buggy. Had to fill it up, and I must have run it hard last time out. Only pulled 213 miles out of the last tank full. But while out and about, spent a couple hours cruising around the valley and put on about 50 miles. Was a beautiful day.

Only about 150 miles short of 26,000 miles in 16 month's. Might make it before the end of the year.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

We hear ya Joe...
Even here in eastern Ontario I was in shorts and a T-shirt on the 23rd and 24th, almost 70°F both days. Christmas day wasn't quite.as nice, only hit 60.
We're paying for it now: drizzled all day, just over freezing, and major snow on the way through Tuesday.
The good news is an unseasonably mild forecast again after New Years.
We'll take it!

(With way more projects than spare time!)
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Hank22 wrote:

not a bad idea but, unfortunately, I don't have a lathe, those "wood's" were made by hand with the help of some power tools
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

motoRAT wrote:
Hank22 wrote:

not a bad idea but, unfortunately, I don't have a lathe, those "wood's" were made by hand with the help of some power tools

in that case its even a nicer job!
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Hank22 wrote:
motoRAT wrote:
Hank22 wrote:

in that case its even a nicer job!

thanks Very Happy
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

After giving it a full tune up, I still couldn't get her to idle, so I figured the carb needed work. I bought a kit, read a few how-to articles and went to town. I took my time, and took plenty of photos along the way to be sure it went back together correctly. Compressed air is the key, along with a can of carb cleaner spray. I used clean plastic sour cream tubs to keep the parts organized, and clean cardboard on the bench top to avoid getting dirt where it shouldn't get. I adjusted and tested the choke using a 12V DeWalt drill battery and some test leads, and it's working perfectly. Tonight I finished assembly and basic set up, but it was too late to run the car without ruining my neighbors evening so that will wait until tomorrow. It was a relatively easy job, so if your carb isn't responding the way you want it too, take the plunge and rebuild it. It was easier than I thought, and kind of fun. While the carb was off, I took the time to clean and detail the motor. I don't love chrome engine tin, but I hate it when it's tarnished and dirty. A little shine goes a long way.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Pulled my rear brake rotors and axle bearing caps.
Replaced the seals and installed some bearing caps that were machined down a bit to make up for the thicker caliper mounts so the bearing clearances were good to go again.

Also replaced the 12 year old rubber brake hoses with some braided stainless replacements.

Rotors are getting the threaded stud holes drilled and press in studs installed.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Took some time to fix my after market rear Disc Brake Kit.

I took my rear rotors completely off and had the threads drilled out and got some 7/16ths X 20 chevy press in studs to replace them. No more stripped threads in the rotors and having to hold both ends to tighten or loosen the lug nuts.

I also fixed the excessive play in the axle bearing that I had when installing the kit due to the caliper bracket being thicker than the original brake backing plate,
A friend was so kind to send me an extra set of bearing caps that he machined down about .038 to make up the difference and after replacing the seal, orings and gaskets it is a nice fit again.

Next I fixed the cheapo brake line adaption that comes with the Disc Brake kit I bought.

This is what come with the kit. You use the short hose piece to connect back to the original steel line. While it does work it looks pretty crappy I feel.....

I went to my Local Hose And Fitting Store and they sold me some parts to cut to length in order to make it more to my liking.

I used a 10mm Banjo fitting, M10X1.5 Banjo bolt, and another fitting that will compress onto the original steel line. All of these are DOT approved fittings from them that after being compressed on have their Store number on them in case there is an issue.

I then tried fitting it all and came up with cutting a new original Swing Axle line in half, bending a ninety at three inches from the fitting face and then cutting 1.25 inches off the line after bending it.

I then took it back to the Store and they pressed it all together and then pressure tested it to make sure it was good to go.

I then took all the parts home, installed them and bled the brakes.

I"m happy with the way it turned out. I could have probably routed it a bit differently but since I reinstalled my Camber Compensator to make sure the new line wouldn't interfere, I had to work with the hose length I had.
It stays clear and it looks good I feel.

I think the kit should come with something like this. It really wouldn't cost them any more and all the installer would have to do was cut and bend the steel line to a shape they wanted and then tighten the fitting with the Ferrel to finish it.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

On the three sets of rear disc's like you have, I have installed Airkewld's banjo brake line kit. I do not like the original set up and agree, would not cost more than $ 5.00 more added to the kit to make it nicer.

Another item that makes it easier is spacers are sold for both Swing and IRS to add to the bearing thickness inside the cap to take up the slack when added that thicker brake bracket.

Nice work!

If you don't mind, would you give a good review of the camber compensator? Since you have some horsepower, you opinion of how it helps/hurts would make a good review. Pro's, Con's, install issues so forth.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
On the three sets of rear disc's like you have, I have installed Airkewld's banjo brake line kit. I do not like the original set up and agree, would not cost more than $ 5.00 more added to the kit to make it nicer.

Another item that makes it easier is spacers are sold for both Swing and IRS to add to the bearing thickness inside the cap to take up the slack when added that thicker brake bracket.

Nice work!

If you don't mind, would you give a good review of the camber compensator? Since you have some horsepower, you opinion of how it helps/hurts would make a good review. Pro's, Con's, install issues so forth.

I have not run the C/C since I have gone high boost turbo.

I took out the 3rd/4th Shift hubs on the first transmission once I hit 13 lbs boost so I never reinstalled the C/C back in it until just now. I did the same to my spare trans so I had the first rebuilt with welded third and fourth gear hubs and whatever else needed fixing and it has been great for two years now.

When I ran the C/C non turboed I could feel the difference in cornering especially on a slower, fast, sharp turn like going into my development. Like going about 20 mph and cranking the wheel over for a sharp 90 degree turn.
It keeps the axles from jacking up.

I'll test it out in the spring since I have the buggy going in for a roll bar here in a week or so.

I did not know that anyone sold a brake line fix for that or spacers.
I tried to research on thesamba about anyone having issues and nothing came up about a real fix except shaving the caps.
When my buddy offer the caps to me I jumped at it but only installed them now since the buggy is parked for the winter.

Edited to add.

I looked at airkewld's site and only found the long hoses. That would be ok but it then makes you have to buy their billet hose mount which adds a bit to the cost.
I have about $50.00 into the two hoses plus my time of figuring out the length and two trips of 25 miles around to get the parts figured out.
I am off work for a couple weeks so it is hobby time and you know you can't figure that into the cost... Cool Wink

I did not see anything about the spacers.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Clonebug, nice mods on the rear disc kit. I have the same setup (in a box from the previous owner), and will use your info when I put it in. Do you have the spec on the press in studs you used? I was going to use the screw-ins, but it sounds like they are problematic, even with loctite?

Joe, tell me more about the bearing spacers. It sounds like this would be a real problem without them. Does it apply to IRS applications?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
Clonebug, nice mods on the rear disc kit. I have the same setup (in a box from the previous owner), and will use your info when I put it in. Do you have the spec on the press in studs you used? I was going to use the screw-ins, but it sounds like they are problematic, even with loctite?

Joe, tell me more about the bearing spacers. It sounds like this would be a real problem without them. Does it apply to IRS applications?

I don't have the part number of them but they are a chevy stud.

It uses a 29/64ths drill bit to drill the holes out for the press fit.

They have a fairly small head on them and we picked them due to the total length and they were in stock.

I wanted a little longer one so they would stick out a bit more for my Weld Wheels since the wheels are 1 13/16ths inch thick and take a long mag bolt. It's kind of a PITA to get the threads started since the stud is inside the wheel hole a bit and My old body can't bend as well as it used to.
I had to compromise a little so I took what was in stock.

You almost have to pick a stud that would fit your style of wheel. I use the Chevy 5X4.75 pattern and the thread size is 7/16ths-20.

The local Auto Parts store I went to had quite a nice selection of wheel studs in stock and also could order just about anything. It was also nice that it used a standard bit to size the hole.
Not that I did it myself.......I had a machine shop do it but in retrospect I probably could have sone it on my drill press.
For the $79.00 it cost to have it done it was worth it in my book.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

$79 for both rotors? Doesn't sound bad. I like Chevy pattern as well, probably going back with Torq Thrust IIs for the traditional look. I had press-in studs on the rear drums of my last buggy, but I had them done by SoCal Auto Parts.

Mocked the Manxter up with my old wheels before selling the green buggy, and I dig the look.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
$79 for both rotors? Doesn't sound bad. I like Chevy pattern as well, probably going back with Torq Thrust IIs for the traditional look. I had press-in studs on the rear drums of my last buggy, but I had them done by SoCal Auto Parts.

Mocked the Manxter up with my old wheels before selling the green buggy, and I dig the look.

Yes, It was $79.53 in labor for both rotors.....I supplied the studs and I think they were less than $20.00 for 11 of them.

Nice wheels!!!.....Although I would almost kill for a set of B.F.G. T.A's.
I've been looking for a set of 275/60-15's but have had to settle for used tires.
I have Cooper Tires in the back right now.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Page 185 of 199

Jump to: