Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Welding equipment
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Welding equipment Reply with quote

for all the questions on welding equipment.
and some other welding info too

http://forum.doityourself.com/archive/index.php/f-106-p-2.html

usefull welding link
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/learning-mig.htm

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.

Last edited by Foxx on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will be first.
I bought a used Clarke 100E welder at a swap meet for very cheap.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=1966
I have the welder working, but need to know how to set the current with the rocker switches.
Does anyone have a manual for this welder, that could scan the instructions, or explain to me how they work??
Thank you in advance.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
renderit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for you. I need to take classes and all, but a friend mentioned that if I'm spending most of my time on sheet metal I'd be happier with TIG than MIG. What do you think?
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIG is more versatile and produces beautiful welds, but it is much more expensive - you can still do very good welding with a MIG and the equipment cost is about half ($600 for MIG compared to $1.2k for TIG)

I think TIG is for the everyday/pro welder/fabricator - MIG is for the hobbyist/DIYer

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mark, unless you are a fabricator that requires the specific strength and precision of a tig weld than you are better off learning on a mig. When i started welding classes, i started on a "buzz box" or arc welder and the use of torch "gas welding" then to mig and tig mig is the most widely used in both fabrication and body shop repair.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TIG is just like welding with a torch, except the heat is supplied by an arc, instead of a flame.
I love welding with a torch.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tfitz9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Spot weld gun Reply with quote

Bug me Video demonstrates use of a Eastwood spot welder GUN that attaches to a 110volt stick welder and is used in replacing body panels

The procedure appears simple and just right for a guy WITHOUT welding experience

Anyone have any expierence with this method? Are there other suppliers of this gun?

Comments invited
renderit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for a 110 mig. What is the best one out there.
wileysc71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renderit wrote:
Looking for a 110 mig. What is the best one out there.

I don't know what the heck I'm doing with it yet, but based on advice I got here.........I bought a Lincoln 135Plus (infinite controls for voltage/feed).......and I love it. Used it a couple of times for practice and gave it a go on some real body panels. Penetrats nicely w/no burn through.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bunnytrucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a bus and I need to do alot of rust repair. So that means alot of cutting and welding. I can weld alright but I dont know much about welders. I want something that I wont have a problem welding sheet metal with. Should I go with a 110 or 220? From what I have heard 110 seems to be better for this application. Is this true? I was thinking of getting a 110 gas option mig. But for not much more I can get a nice 220 mig. But i have had problems welding sheet medal in the past with 220 welders. I don't want to buy one and then find out that it will just burn holes. What do you think Question
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnytrucker wrote:
I just got a bus and I need to do alot of rust repair. So that means alot of cutting and welding. I can weld alright but I dont know much about welders. I want something that I wont have a problem welding sheet metal with. Should I go with a 110 or 220? From what I have heard 110 seems to be better for this application. Is this true? I was thinking of getting a 110 gas option mig. But for not much more I can get a nice 220 mig. But i have had problems welding sheet medal in the past with 220 welders. I don't want to buy one and then find out that it will just burn holes. What do you think Question

I'd go 220v. Make sure its infinately va. I have never had issues with doing sheet with 220. Make sure you turn down the heat. The advantage with 220 will be it is capable of welding thicker materials. If you are burning thru, try less heat. Also try moving the torch faster, as pausing is a good way to burn thru.
renderit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Jowlz said is true. The only advantage of the 110 unit is you don't have to worry about plugins. I.e. if you want to roll it over to the neighbor's at night and weld his doors shut using his power you can do it. If you had the 220 unit you have to break in, pull the Dryer plug and do it from there. See the versatility difference?
rossmda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Depot and lowes sell lincoln mig welders. I have been using one for 4 years, flux core. Yes flux core. Just requires a little more cleanup when you complete a weld and you have to take a little more time. I also have used the gas when welding and the results are damn near the same each time, with the exception of the cleanup with a wire wheel on the flux core. Flux tends to burn ya a little more from sparks, but hey I was on a tight budget when I bought it and don't use it enough to get the bottle hookup
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to buy a Lincoln Mig welder you are better off buying it from a welding supply store. The units sold by the welding supply stores have a higher duty cycle then the same size machine from Home Depot. The welding supply store can also help you with any problems you have.
Jerry...
wileysc71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostinbaja wrote:
If you are looking to buy a Lincoln Mig welder you are better off buying it from a welding supply store. The units sold by the welding supply stores have a higher duty cycle then the same size machine from Home Depot. The welding supply store can also help you with any problems you have.
Jerry...

AND...a good store will have a demo area setup where you can try it out before you buy it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bunnytrucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got a welder. I went with the 110 for a few reasons. The biggest reason was because the 220 welder in my price range could only handle an extra 16th over the 110 at $150 price difference. So I ended getting a Clarke 180en. Awesome welder! 10 year warranty too. Gas or no gas. It is IMO perfect for the application. I recommend it highly! Price is good too. $300 on Ebay and it came with the regulater for gas as well.
mcatak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any input from here about the "low priced" Chicargo Electric 90 amp MIG welders on ebay?

It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road...

Never buy a car you can't push... Authors Unknown
Volkswagenaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what welder is best for a restoration shop? a MIG? or a TIG?

F I S H E R W E R K E
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stancey53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chicago Welders, all of them, SUCK! Harbor Freight sells a lot of Chicago Electric stuff. Its funny, I don't recall there being a Chicago in China but apparently there is as this is where these welders are made.

I bought a 220v one from Harbor Freight last fall and it didn't work. Flat out didn't work straight from the box. I called HF and they sent me a new one. Took it out of the box and, you guessed it, it didn't work. I talked to a tech support person from HF who said that it was likley a bad circuit board in each welder. They offered to send me a new board to install myself. Needless to say, I got my money back and bought a Hobart.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An auto-dimming helmet (mine is a Speedglas) is an excellent investment, too. Nothing beats being able to point and weld without having to pull down your helmet or look away as you do the weld. You only get one pair of eyes... Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: