Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So.Cal. Imports
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heer4596
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm still a lil wet behind the ears when it comes to vws, but I live a few miles from SoCal Imports and I have bought a lot of parts from them.... Never had a single issue. Sometimes they're super busy in the store, but they have always been friendly and super helpful with the piece of sh#t car I bought from some slack jawed knuckle dragger in AZ.
I don't know if the counter people differ from the ones who deal with internet/phone orders, but they have been a life saver for me. And them being open on Saturdays has saved me many wasted trips around town for vw specific parts.
lopez63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Bad, rude service Reply with quote

This place sucks! Bad bad customer service. I walked in and there was not anybody at the counter for a good 15 min. I could here some on the phone taking a order or something. In the meantime an employee comes out walks past me doesn't make any eye contact or anything and returns back to the warehouse. Ok? The guy on the phone finally hangs up steps out of his office and does the same, doesn't acknowledge us. 2 other customers and me look at each other, shake our heads and walk out. This place needs better customer service. They lost a customer. I'm restoring a 63 bug and need lots parts. I'll take business somewhere else.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess the place is still open and therefore must just be ignoring my emails about an order I placed 8 days ago.

Oh well...I wonder if they will respond to my CC company when I contest the charge.
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good on the phone and helpful in checking if part was in stock before I ordered online.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
Goggles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a TRW steering box and a few other parts from Socal imports. The TRW steering box was defective, it made a grinding noise when turning and was difficult to turn. I removed the part from my car and placed the old steering box back on. My emails to SOCAL imports went unanswered. When I was able to get them on the phone I was told I'd receive a callback, because the guy that handles returns wasn't there. Finally got them on the phone today and was told they would not accept the part back because it was over 30 days.

TRW will not warranty steering boxes sold by SOCAL imports either. Looks like I'll be doing a chargeback with my credit card company and no further business with SOCAL Imports.

Invoice 338455
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Cal Imports is the company that sent me the spam mentioned in my signature below.
Gregman380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to order my exhaust from them but I guess not now.. To many negative responses in this thread and very few positive ones.
Kevinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less then 5000 miles on my 7 month old alternator, and it failed. Regulator went out, and boiled the battery out on to my floorboards. Had to throw out carpet and padding, treat with baking soda and water. Redcoats with Por15. No help from SoCal. Warranty on the alt was a month out, and no good will. Dropped over 2 grand with them in 6 months. Not a penny more
TN 63 RAGTOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Stay clear Reply with quote

All I can say is this company is a joke. 2 bad experiences on the same order. Let me say that again . This company is a joke. Don't waste your time and money with them. Plenty of other vendors

Don't stand behind what they say. Let my bad experience with them be a lesson for you to use another dealer. This is not just someone complaining. This is real life experiences.
cef911f1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Very disappointed in SoCal Reply with quote

Placed a sizable order (qualified for free shipping/handling) with them on 10/31/13 around noon (EDT). It arrived today, 11/07/13. That's not to bad. More on that later. However, included in the order was a pair of seals that weren't in the box. They were listed on the invoice/packing slip and not noted as BO, so I called.

First, they put me on hold (not a toll free number). Then they told me I must be mistaken because five people signed off on my shipment as complete. Then they transferred me to someone else (another period on hold). This individual (Steve) told me that the item was cancelled from my order as they were out of stock. (I could have sworn that's what "back ordered" means.) None-the-less it is still printed on the enclosed invoice and the total on the invoice is the same as my original order. Checked my PayPal activity this morning. They haven't issued a refund.

Had I really been notified I could have added the item to a cip1 order I placed the night of the first. It too qualified for free shipping. That order was twice the size/amount. It hit their system after hours yet it arrived a day earlier even though it had to go through customs. Hmm.

Why two orders? I'm on a budget so I do shop around and SoCal had some things in stock that cip1 didn't. All of the items I ordered from SoCal were either less costly (even compared to cip1's sale prices) or something cip1 didn't have. Now, I have to order a few dollars worth of seals and pay shipping.

Fist order with SoCal = fail
Third order from cip1 = perfect. They're 3 for 3.

Guess who I won't order from again.

Thanks for letting me vent. Wish I had discovered this thread prior to ordering. I wouldn't have ordered from SoCal based on all of the negative feedback.
cef911f1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Very disappointed in SoCal Reply with quote

Update: Emailed them a pdf showing all PayPal activity on my account since 10/31/13 along with a link to my post.

How about that? I got notified this afternoon that they refunded my money for the missing parts today. Guess they really hadn't notified me or issued a refund.
sloboatnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a tri-mil header and 2 misc engine tools from them last week. Then I found this thread. I started to worry when they sent me a tracking number that didn't register with UPS. I waited the std 3 days ground shipping and the parts showed up. All was well. header tubes were wrapped heavy in bubble wrap. I was pleased. just my 2 cents.

3BT Baja build page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417564&highlight=3bt+baja
herkster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta give So Cal props as well.

I was having an issue getting a brake caliper sub mount to fit and somehow crossed one of the bolts....dumb move on my part. Anyways I called and noted that I screwed up and they sent me the part I needed without cost or shipping cost.

That's a first rate thing to do.
AkioOhtori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCal is not earning my business...

While trying to replace my kingpins I discovered I needed new spindles. I quickly ordered them from So Cal on Saturday night. The price was great, but then they hit me up for $20 shipping. I wanted to expedite, but apparently that costs $60+ Ok... well I can probably live with ground shipping then... I did add a note that I really wanted the parts by Friday, just to see if they'd do what they could to help out.

On Monday they email me to say that it will take 24 - 72 hours for them to ship out the parts. Ok....

On Thursday I call them because the parts STILL haven't shipped. The guy on the phone was immediately defensive (I swear I was being nice. All I asked is for a status update) and said that they will email me when the parts ship. Really the tone was: "WHY ARE YOU CALLING US YOU NEWB."

I did ask WHY it takes "72 hours" to ship parts (when Amazon can ship them within an hour of me ordering). The guy told me it was the way it has been for the last 10 years.

Called again Friday (for the record, 4 business days after the order was placed) and was told they should be "picking them up" today. Apparently they didn't have them in stock and failed to mention that?

Called again today (Saturday) and they can't check status of internet orders until Monday. Because... reasons?

Calling and cancelling on Monday.

So... yeah... %&$* those guys. They've set me back a week on this project and more importantly put me out of use of my buggy for two.
TONY O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: socal imports. sucks Reply with quote

Iam from longbeach cali. And happen to live two blocks from socal imports. I build vw as a hobby. Just this friday decided I will never ever. Go the and give them my hard earned money again. If I want to get bad customer service. And people with an attitude who act like they dont want or need your business. And if you want dirty looks when you ask a question. And want go feel stupid for asking a questions. Than that's the place to go. Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad customer service. The worst I ever seen. And they take forever. To help you. You think they work on a salary +commission. They would be the nicest people. I literally seen parts worker there just make some poor guy feel like a total idiot. Because he didnt know what it ment to narrow a front beam. I ended up helping him and told him where to get the work done. I felt bad for the guy. I want all people to not buy from there. Take your money else where. They dont deserve it. And the owner should be ashamed that he owns a company that is ran like that. There is foreign unlimited in long beach. There is bill and steves in downey. There is old speed in paramount. Take your business there. They will appreciate your business. Not like the assholes at so cal.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. Should've read the posts here before ordering some bumper parts for my '72 Super. Everything shipped in a reasonable time, but the bracket is really poorly welded. One of the two welded joints snapped off as i was trying to align the bracket holes w/the holes on the bumper. So....

I sent them an email yesterday w/this picture - you can see where the weld split on the right side -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No reply today, thought I'd give a call because they're on PST and i'm on EST. Guy who answered had me wait a minute, then came back and told me the RMA folks had left early today...we'll see tomorrow...

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nukeworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I've checked back on this post in years. It's been 8 and 1/2 years since my original post and it looks like not much has changed at SoCal Imports. Just want them to know that I have spent thousands and thousands on my Bug and not one dime went to them since that original purchase. Customer service matters.
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm less than a 15 minute drive from them and have used them for items I don't feel like driving to WW in Corona. I always deal with Rudy and he's been very helpful and knowledgeable with my requests. I've spent a few dollars at a time to $50 at a time and have had no issues. Everything from tune up parts to body rubber (WCM), not the cheap stuff. I'll continue to use them as needed without hesitation.
Old Vegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was not impressed. Ordered a brake kit for my '63; the main issue was that the brake lines were to short, (front 3-4", rear 1/2'), so went and bought some locally instead. One spring broke while hooking it to the shoes, so I used all my old spring. Hopefully the cylinders and MC work, though I haven't installed the MC.
1974 XLH
jasoncardenas21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Don't order from right now Reply with quote

So I ordered some dropped spindles and some carb rebuild kits on 3/16, order was processed on 3/17 and was expecting the stuff this week.

I called today to find out why I haven't received any shipping information, well, it was because of the Port Strike in California. All of the ships are not being offloaded so they are not getting any of their parts. No notification or anything of this delay. When asked why they didn't ship out the rebuild kits, they said because they ship orders all together to avoid 2 shipping charges.

Bottom line, don't order from them right now. Plus, guy was a rude ass on the other end of the line reading off a script.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=501338

1970 Bay Window Bus Project
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541529

1969 VW Westy is current project
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: