Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift rod bushing - how to?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaRacer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced the shift rod bushing and coupler and the help I found here on TheSamba made a tricky job MUCH easier! I used a pull string to help return the rod to the bushing. Lots of grease and lots of patience is the trick! I did have an issue with the coupler, the cross pin would not fit in the hole at the end of the shift rod. Had to chuck it up in my drill and spin it on some emery cloth to get it to fit. It was the more expensive one that CIP1 sells. Everything else went well, can't wait to try it out tomorrow! (edit to add - It works great, just like new, well worth the time it took)
patroklus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the bushing yesterday on my 73 Super. Gotta love the extended length in the front, allowing me to do it without removing the front inspection plate. Thanks to Glenn for the detailed instructions. Now it's smooth shifting for awhile at least.
SimiRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Shift Rod Bushing Reply with quote

I change my front shift rod bushing on my bus about once every other year. They don't seem to last longer than that, but its an easy job. I just changed the bushing and clip on my '64 bug today for the first time. Thankfully I researched the topic here and it went real smooth. I used an electrician's fish tape to guide the rod out the front. What a difference! Very Happy
alex_juarez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this whole thread and was kind of hesitant to do mine as I'm not that bad ass as some of you are. But I tried today and did it in an hour. was not bad at all and what a difference. thanks guys
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Alex !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
snj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to use this thread to whine about the (lack of) durability of currently-available shift rod bushings.

When I bought my '63 Bug in 2006, the first real project I undertook was a shift rod rejuvenation. The shift rod bushing wore out some time in the past, and a previous owner had driven it until the bracket completely broke, letting the shift rod fall down to the point where the socket no longer engaged the shifter. At that point, someone devised a horrible strap system to hold the rod up enough to make the car semi-drivable. When I got the car, I put in a new bracket, and a new bushing and retaining clip along with it. A couple weeks ago (7 years and 47,000 miles later), I noticed that my shifter suddenly had significantly less resistance than usual. Today, I investigated the situation and found that my shift rod bushing had turned into 5 separate pieces. A pre-emptive answer: Yes, it was all well-greased. It's quite unfortunate that so many of the VW parts currently produced are of such terrible quality.

Look at this garbage:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stock up on bushings, folks. Apparently if you drive your car more than on weekends, you'll need to replace the bushing every few years.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It lasted for 7 years and 47,000 miles?
That doesn't sound too bad.
My low mileage '63 with 43,000 miles had a worn out bushing in it - the original.
I'm sure it had been worn out for a long time.
I replaced it with a repro when I got the car and it lasted about 5 years (guess)... but I only drove less than 1,000 miles in that time.
I was able to find an NOS one the next time and wow, it installed so much nicer than a repro. I could tell it was nicer just by touching it. I hope it lasts.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
It lasted for 7 years and 47,000 miles?
That doesn't sound too bad.
My low mileage '63 with 43,000 miles had a worn out bushing in it - the original.
I'm sure it had been worn out for a long time.
I replaced it with a repro when I got the car and it lasted about 5 years (guess)... but I only drove less than 1,000 miles in that time.
I was able to find an NOS one the next time and wow, it installed so much nicer than a repro. I could tell it was nicer just by touching it. I hope it lasts.

OK, compared to 1ish thousand miles, mine did pretty well, I suppose. Still, there's a note in the shop manual (my '65 T3 manual, in this case, since my Bug manual is currently buried under piles of other junk) saying how the bushing "does not usually need to be replaced." I know these were economy cars, but I imagine they were looking at service lives of more than 50k miles.

The repro bushing I installed today felt overly tight. I'll keep an eye out for NOS bushings and see if I can get something that fits a bit better.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh these cheap, crappy, aftermarket parts. This is the 2nd bushing I've installed in my 69 convertible a few years back. It had MAYBE 1500 miles on it before it failed. It actually failed a couple of years ago, I just finally got around to installing another new one. This one I bought from Wolfsburg West. We'll see how long it lasts.

The hanger was like new so it's not causing them to break. This new one slipped in the hole nicely. I greased it up and the was able to push the shift rod thru it w/out too much force. I greased it going thru the bushing and then hooked everything up again. It is amazing the difference this bushing makes when its in place and new vs. broken. Side note, my rod is straight, no bends at all. Not sure when this changed.

The good news? I've done it so often, It took less than an hour moving at a fairly slow pace, by myself. I just wish I had not procrastinated sssoo long to install this.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_juarez wrote:
I read this whole thread and was kind of hesitant to do mine as I'm not that bad ass as some of you are. But I tried today and did it in an hour. was not bad at all and what a difference. thanks guys

One step at a time to bad ass status...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
exploderjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Shist rod bushing Reply with quote

Can't say enough thanks for this how to. went easy as it said it would. Even installed new vintage shifter and simple. Thanks again.
wagonmaster Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished mine, don't hesitate, if you can handle simple tools, you can do this yourself. Read the thread, easy beans. The hardest part was getting the new bushing into the hanger and that only tool a couple of minutes.
After I got the shaft started I just pryed it forward with long needle nose pliers (mine are bent at a 45) lubing as I went.

My old bushing was in fragments in the bottom of the tunnel, nice tight shifts now.
Glad I did it!
theparanorm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a difference that little bushing makes. Smooth and tight shifting now. Feels like to new drive line.

Just did mine last night...solo. Took a little time, but very well worth it!
billfred1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I plan on doing this project. I looked last night and my bushing is gone. Clip is still there, but no bushing. I also looked at the coupler, there seems to be a decent amount of side to side play. I ordered a new coupler, bushing and ring.

I’ve read this thread, if I understand correctly, some people place the bushing on the shift rod first, and some people put it in the hangar first. Is that correct? Is one way preferred over the other. The hangar seems to be OK (complete hole, not busted).

Thanks
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billfred1 wrote:
So I plan on doing this project. I looked last night and my bushing is gone. Clip is still there, but no bushing. I also looked at the coupler, there seems to be a decent amount of side to side play. I ordered a new coupler, bushing and ring.

I’ve read this thread, if I understand correctly, some people place the bushing on the shift rod first, and some people put it in the hangar first. Is that correct? Is one way preferred over the other. The hangar seems to be OK (complete hole, not busted).

Thanks

Put it in the hanger, grease it up and then push your shift rod thru it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagonmaster Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
billfred1 wrote:

Thanks

Put it in the hanger, grease it up and then push your shift rod thru it.

+1 on in the hanger first.
billfred1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got about 400 miles out of my bushing Mad

I just noticed the shifter was rattling a bunch. Looked in there tonight and the bushing is not completely gone, but it looks like it has split radially. I don't think my holder was bad, I even remember taking sandpaper to the I.D. of the hangar to clean it up.

The bushing was a $2.50 Jbugs version. Is the WW bushing the one to get?
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billfred1 wrote:
Well, I got about 400 miles out of my bushing Mad

I just noticed the shifter was rattling a bunch. Looked in there tonight and the bushing is not completely gone, but it looks like it has split radially. I don't think my holder was bad, I even remember taking sandpaper to the I.D. of the hangar to clean it up.

The bushing was a $2.50 Jbugs version. Is the WW bushing the one to get?

Got mine from WW and have not had any issues but I am unsure if it is my driving or the quality of the bushing that makes it last. I have about 2000 miles on it and still no issue from WW.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
djweaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went out and did it opposite of what I was doing and put the bushing in the hanger first as I saw some people do it. I highly recommend putting it in the hanger first. Took me 5 minutes and was bolting it back together. The plastic pieces that hold the back of the rod in place so the bolt will go through it I have to find and order next. I suspect that is where a little play is coming from. Although shifting is much better now than it was yesterday.

I would like to thank all the people that spend there time to help each other out on this forum, it sure makes things much easier. Maybe someday I will be as good and be able to help others as well.
nvrgvupjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djweaz wrote:
Just went out and did it opposite of what I was doing and put the bushing in the hanger first as I saw some people do it. I highly recommend putting it in the hanger first. Took me 5 minutes and was bolting it back together. The plastic pieces that hold the back of the rod in place so the bolt will go through it I have to find and order next. I suspect that is where a little play is coming from. Although shifting is much better now than it was yesterday.

I would like to thank all the people that spend there time to help each other out on this forum, it sure makes things much easier. Maybe someday I will be as good and be able to help others as well.

Hi all,
I realize this is an older, longer thread, but it's good information nevertheless. I've yet to do a shift-rod bushing replacement on my early ('63) bug. However, even though it shifts well, I'm anticipating a new bushing one of these days.

Just out of curiosity, and I've read almost all the posts, I've never seen an alternative to the cheap plastic bushing and lock ring set-up. Does anyone know of something more bomb-proof like a brass bushing? Maybe something like a link-pin front suspension bushing made to the proper size? If it were made in two pieces that would thread together and secure it into the support, it would probably last mucho years, yes?

Somewhere, years ago, Bob Hoover, or Gene Berg or someone described drilling a one/eight" hole in the tunnel right above the bushing, so that once a year or so you could pull back the carpet and lube the bushing with a drop of oil. Has anyone tried that? Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: