Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock dual solex carbs on an upright?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Stock dual solex carbs on an upright? Reply with quote

I am putting an engine together for my bug and I have a set of Stock type3 dual solex carbs with linkage and intakes from another project. Has anyone ever tried to put these carbs on an upright engine or is it impossible. What kind of problems should I expect.
dailydrivervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That swap was done a lot in the old days before there were aftermarkets kits at lower prices.

There is a pic on Samba of an old school motor a 57 guy on the oval forum got from a friend that had been stored for years. The posters name was something like ram4sam ??? Check the samba user name list for something close to that name, and check his gallery pics.

From what I recall, the biggest fit problem was the linkage. I think most users had to use a stale-air fan shroud that does not have the fresh-air elbows attached to the shroud. The elbows are in the way of the linkage. I do not recall if there is a problem with the carb clearance on each side of the bug engine compartment. You could just bolt in the bare long block to try that.

Use the 67 T3 manifolds for dual port heads, or use 66& older T3 manifolds for single port heads. I believe the center linkage pivot needed to be modified or raised up, but not sure.

Most modern guys will tell you it is a dumb idea, rather than using big modern setups, but any T3 person can tell you that the s/p & d/p setups ran great. I guess it depends on how large the motor & cam is and what you are trying to do for performance.
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brazillian Bugs used dual carbs almost identical to the stock T3s. This is the setup CB sells as their dual Solex kit, so you can get linkage and other parts from them. You will prob also need to use the CB tall manifolds.

On second thought, why not get the whole CB kit? Everything is brand new, and you don't have to do any fabbing or parts hunting. And ask for the 28mm venturis if you have a larger than stock engine. You can recoup much of the cost of the CB kit by selling the stock T3 setup on the Classifieds.
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dailydrivervw wrote:
That swap was done a lot in the old days before there were aftermarkets kits at lower prices.

There is a pic on Samba of an old school motor a 57 guy on the oval forum got from a friend that had been stored for years. The posters name was something like ram4sam ??? Check the samba user name list for something close to that name, and check his gallery pics. <snip>

As mentioned: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157540
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: