Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear subframe removal/install (I searched)
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbugman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: rear subframe removal/install (I searched) Reply with quote

How hard is it? What all is involved? Could I do a swap at a salvage yard? (subframe+engine+trans out in one piece and into another car in one piece) I found a nice 65S Notch, but it doesn't have a rear subframe. The guy also has a 67 Square that is complete but has been smashed in the front. I was wondering if this is possible and how hard it would be. Thanks for the help Very Happy

"That beer I had for breakfast, wasn't bad, so I had one more... for dessert"-Johnny Cash
sofaking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say yes, make sure you keep ever nut, bolt and rubber bushing from the Square. Just make sure the shift rod, brake line, e-brake cables, fuel lines,clutch cable, throttle cable, starter wires, and heater boxes (if it has them). Remove bolts from top (shock tower area & under rear seat). then under the car there is 2 bolts on each side and 4 bolts in center to remove plate and then 1 bolt under the plate. Have someone to help you and use caution! Safety is a must!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can do the swap at the salvage yard if you bring enough tools, especially a good jack and jack stands. If there are tires on the rear wheels, you can easily removed engine, trans, and subframe as a single unit and roll it under your new Notch. I've done this job a couple times by myself, but a buddy and a few beers make it go much quicker.
bbugman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input guys Very Happy I have a squadron of the aircoold faithful going with me. All I had to say is "I'm going to get another car" and then everyone wants to go Laughing

"That beer I had for breakfast, wasn't bad, so I had one more... for dessert"-Johnny Cash
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take some boards with you to put under the jack and jackstands. Nothing worse than jackstands that sink in the soil under the weight of a lifted car. Surely your life is worth that much?
bbugman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't my first rodeo, just the first time I'll be swapping a T3 rear subframe Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: